Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Using a Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 on a K-3

I acquired a Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 (seen here - S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) a few days ago and I've been attempting to use it on a K-3. I believe this lens is called a "preset" lens. There is no A/M switch. What is the exact order of steps (composition, focus, green button, etc.) that I need to take in order to get a proper exposure? I've read the Sticky on how to use manual lenses on Pentax digital cameras, but don't see where it addresses the preset lenses. I have it mounted on the camera with an original Pentax M42 to K mount adaptor. I have also set #27 in the Customization Menu to "Enable". Is there anything else I need to adjust (E-dial Programming, Button Customization, etc.)? Thanks, Sandra

09-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With those lenses you can use Av mode. You do not need to press the green button as the camera will automatically meter based on the available light.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, Adam. So I set the mode dial to Av. Next I set the inner ring to my selected aperture, correct? Do I need to do anything with the outer ring (one farthest from the camera)? Thanks again.
09-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

1) Camera Menu, go to end and Enable the Aperture Ring use (only has to be done once)
2) Dismount any lens on camera
3) Switch A/M on lens to M, Switch AF/MF on camera to MF, Mount the m42 adapter
4) screw in the lens, turn on camera and select 50mm as focal length
5) select Av mode, you can also choose other settings like Auto-ISO if you want
6) Twist aperture ring to wide open (lowest f-number) and use this to select focus (since DoF is thinnest at lowest f-number)
7) When done composing and focusing (for composing you might sometimes have to stop down the lens temporarily), twist aperture ring to whatever aperture you want
8) once the shutter speed gets adjusted by the camera (you can see this in viewfinder and on LCD screen, and on top screen if your camera models has one) you can press shutter

This is the proper chain. Things like 2sec timer, or full manual mode (without auto-ISO!), or interval shooting or Catch in Focus (have to enable the correct AF mode in camera, check your camera manual) might require slight tweaks to this chain. You can also use Live view with focus peaking to compose and find focus, but this doesn't change anything except that you will look at the back LCD instead of through the OVF.
You can use M mode if you want to choose the shutter speed and ISO by hand, instead of letting the camera do that for you (with some lenses the camera metering might be inaccurate)

QuoteOriginally posted by csbtrod Quote
Do I need to do anything with the outer ring (one farthest from the camera)?
The lens has two rings, right? One is for aperture (f-numbers) and the other is the focusing ring (has distance scales). Or do you have that special version of the macro takumar? Because for that one I have no idea, never had one If its a Preset style lens, it has a focus ring and two aperture rings and one of these is just a hard stop, so you don't have to look away from the viewfinder to find the aperture that you want after you are done focusing. The other one actually moves the aperture blades. You don't have to use the first, hard stop, one, but it can be helpful. For example, if you know you want to use f8, then you select f8 on the ring that doesn't move the aperture blades, you focus and compose with wide open aperture, then you just twist the aperture blade ring all the way, which will be what you selected earlier: f8.

Basically, at this point you mostly need practice and experimentation to get things down. Congrats on the cool lens. If you will be using many manual lenses, think about buying lens hood for them. It can help a lot with the old lens coatings. But the macro might not need a lens hood, if the front element is recessed enough as is

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-06-2016 at 05:22 PM.
09-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't recall which ring actually stops down the lens and which presets it. You focus with it open, then twist the final ring to finalize metering.
09-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Na Horuk and Uncle Vanya.

Na Horuk, it is the "special version" - it has 2 aperture rings at the end of the lens (furthest from the camera). The inner ring has hard stops at each aperture, the out ring (the outermost ring, furthest from the camera) swivels to the largest aperture (in this case f4) and then swivels to a stop at the aperture selected with the inner ring. Yes, I think practice and experimentation is what is needed.

Uncle Vanya and Na Horuk, I guess the inner ring presets it, and then you open the aperture with the outer ring, and then twist it back to the stop at the selected aperture.

Thanks again. I will have to find some time to practice with it!
09-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's a must read for you (and a must-view of his m-tak photo album too): My Top 5 MF lenses - #1 - Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 | The late 19? | Flickr

I have this lens too and really enjoy it.

09-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the same setup...

1. Use AV mode
2. Select the desired aperture using the inner ring
3. Set the outer ring to wide-open in order to focus with max light via viewfinder
4. Once focused, move the outer ring to close down aperture (it will stop at the selected aperture set with the inner ring).
5. Shoot

Occasionally I like to shoot with the aperture set to wide open, focus, and then just close down until I get the DOF I like irrespective of the F4 setting. I just stop where ever it 'looks/feels' right, and then shoot. Works for me when shooting macro and I know ISO and Shutter Speed are set in suitable range -- it really lets me dial in the desired bokeh. I know that's all sorts of wrong, but it's fun. Plus early presets had only 1-ring and you had to compose, focus, and shoot with aperture closed down.

BTW -- The Macro-Tak 50/4 is one of the finest Pentax/Asahi lenses ever made. I don't think you'll find many that will argue that point.

Last edited by ripper2860; 09-06-2016 at 06:48 PM.
09-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, Todd. Nice read and inspiring photos!

---------- Post added 09-06-16 at 08:53 PM ----------

Thanks ripper2860! I saw an earlier post of yours in Pentax Price Watch about one of these available on ebay. I ended up getting mine on Etsy, of all places.
09-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Glad you were able to snag one. You will absolutely love it!!!

Etsy? Never did I imagine that would be a source. Well, now I have another source for when the LBA hits again.

Last edited by ripper2860; 09-06-2016 at 08:56 PM.
09-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Glad you were able to snag one. Yuo will absolutely love it!!!

Etsy? Never did I imagine that would be a source. Well ,now I have another source for when the LBA hits again.
I'm looking forward to using it!
09-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Occasionally I like to shoot with the aperture set to wide open, focus, and then just close down until I get the DOF I like irrespective of the F4 setting. I just stop where ever it 'looks/feels' right, and then shoot. Works for me when shooting macro and I know ISO and Shutter Speed are set in suitable range -- it really lets me dial in the desired bokeh. I know that's all sorts of wrong, but it's fun. Plus early presets had only 1-ring and you had to compose, focus, and shoot with aperture closed down.
First, no nothing at all wrong with that technique.

Second a one ring lens rhat stops down is just a manual Aperture lens. The preset part refers to setting it before stopping down. It was the intermediate stepping stone to aperture automation.
09-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is how to use properly your macro lens with two rings up front I assume...

One of the rings will freely rotate and the other will click when you are stopping down.
The one that freely rotate you should keep it wide open as this one you will use to stop down the lens before you take actual picture. With the other one you pre-set your desired aperture, lets say you like to use F11, then you set this one to F11 and the other is wide open, in your case F4. Then you will focus the lens and when finish you turn the ring that freely rotates until stops. It will stop at F11 as you with the other ring pre-set the lens to F11 and take a picture... That's it.

I do not have this lens but this is how it is working.

Hope this helps.

P.S. This is the same set-up like Bellows-Takumar 100mm F4 lens.
09-06-2016, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Second a one ring lens that stops down is just a manual Aperture lens. The preset part refers to setting it before stopping down. It was the intermediate stepping stone to aperture automation.
Yeah -- preset would seem to indicate that one can 'preset' the aperture before shooting -- can't really do that with a one-ring. On a one ring like early CZ Biotar 58/2 (17-blade), there is no preset allowing you to close it down to a predetermined aperture. One must carefully set the aperture and focus, as pre-focusing is fruitless unless you are skilled at setting aperture without clicks and without looking at the aperture markings to confirm. The Auto-Tak was a nicer solution allowing one to preset aperture, but keep the lens wide open until the shutter was pressed. On a DSLR with adapter at least the Auto-tak has the clicks to guide you, should you need to stop down before shooting. Shooting vintage glass is soooo much fun!!
09-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #15

You could tape the rings together so they turn together - and you'd have click stops that way.

The pre-set version of the 50mm f4 macro is nice because it will do 1× without an extension tube.