Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

I wouldn't try updating the firmware until your camera is stable enough to stay on for at least 10 minutes straight. If the camera shuts off in the middle, you could potentially brick the camera (game over).

Please note there is a battery saving feature/setting that will turn it 'off' after a certain amount of idle time (not taking photos, not going through the menus, not reviewing photos, etc) so please keep that in mind.

I don't have a K-x anymore (started with one - neat camera) but I do have a very similar K-r. I see on menu screen 3 of the config (wrench icon) there is the 'Auto Power Off' setting which is selectable (defaults to 10 minutes but can be set as low as 1 minute). There is also a setting to identify which type of battery used (Lithium, Nickel-Metal Hydrive, Alkaline, or Auto-detect). I'd set that specifically to the battery type you're using if Auto-detect seems ot be giving an issue. Though generally I think that setting is used to gauge battery life (how much battery left) over anything else. Still, I'd set it to the correct value.

09-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by katie_m Quote
Ok, will do! I'll keep you posted, once I've had a chance to pick up a charger. Fingers crossed!!
There are a couple types of disposable lithium AA batteries out there. I had good luck with the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries (silver wrapper with a blue stripe) in my K-30, but didn't have much luck with a cheaper set of disposable lithium AAs... the cheaper ones didn't seem to have enough juice to power the camera for very long.

As for pre-charged rechargeable batteries... they tend to slowly drain over time. Unless you got a really fresh set, they may have already reached the point of needing to be charged. Modern digital devices are very sensitive to under-voltage power supplies and it doesn't take much for a battery to drop below that "magic" voltage particularly when you start pulling power out of it.
09-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Energizer make the Ultimate Lithium and a cheaper version with less capacity. A battery tester or multimeter with battery testing facility would be a good idea.
09-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #19
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
(About using lesser versions of Lithium AA's
As I mentioned my K-x has similar problem and I use/used Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery.
Nevertheless likely all Lithium non-rechargeable AA's have the same voltage.

09-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
(About using lesser versions of Lithium AA's
As I mentioned my K-x has similar problem and I use/used Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery.
Nevertheless likely all Lithium non-rechargeable AA's have the same voltage.
Yep... all the same voltage when not under load... but when you start sucking power out of them, cheaper batteries with less capacity may experience more of a voltage drop (like all batteries do) than the higher capacity version... and under voltage makes electronics very grumpy!
09-12-2016, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
Thank you again, everyone, for your help! I charged my "precharged" batteries (they did indeed need some extra juicing), successfully updated the firmware, and changed the type of battery on the camera, and that seems to have done the trick! Now it's time for me to REALLY fool around and teach myself how to operate it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so very grateful for all of your help.
09-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great news - now go out and have fun

09-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by katie_m Quote
Thank you again, everyone, for your help! I charged my "precharged" batteries (they did indeed need some extra juicing), successfully updated the firmware, and changed the type of battery on the camera, and that seems to have done the trick! Now it's time for me to REALLY fool around and teach myself how to operate it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so very grateful for all of your help.
Very good news indeed!
09-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
great. have fun. the little K-x was my first DSRL. I loved it.