Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

just purchased and fired up.. problem with memory card

I get the same "no memory card in camera" message. Yet I followed instructrions, formatted card. Every click of the shutter get same message. Took card out, inserted in PC identifies card as "K3" but no photos on it. just had the camera 2 hours. help please

09-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by teleioo2002 Quote
just purchased and fired up.. problem with memory card
Hi teleioo2002, do you have a card in each slot or only 1?
09-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi teleioo2002, do you have a card in each slot or only 1?
Good question! Also what is your K3 set on for the memory card slots? Check pg 35 of your manual.

BTW, Welcome to the forums! Don't worry, the members here will get you on the road to using your K3!
09-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Also what is your K3 set on for the memory card slots?
Hi Carol. Double card slotted cameras can be confusing if we have not used one before. A great feature when one is used to it though.

09-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I get the same "no memory card in camera" message. Yet I followed instructrions, formatted card. Every click of the shutter get same message. Took card out, inserted in PC identifies card as "K3" but no photos on it. just had the camera 2 hours. help please
Itʻs uncommon, but it could also be a bad memory card. Is it a new memory card or was it used from another camera? What is the brand, size, and class number (little number in a circle)? Are you putting the card in the top slot and is it the only card in the camera?
09-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Carol. Double card slotted cameras can be confusing if we have not used one before. A great feature when one is used to it though.
I agree! I admit I was a little confused with the dual slots; but it definitely is a great feature!
09-06-2016, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the SD card unlocked using the switch on the side?

09-08-2016, 03:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
fixed

Well, i thank you for your help. sorry i didn't get back on sooner. Took card out of one slot and moved to second slot. started working. i guess i just was too anxious. Anyway i think i am going to love the camera. Have a lot to learn. Old cam is a Fujifilm Fine pix HS25. great camera but was terrible for sports after dark. Am hoping this K3, if i learn proper settings, will help me get better action pictures after dark. I may be on here frequently getting help with settings. i am an amateur when it comes to manual settings. thanks again!
09-08-2016, 03:36 AM   #9
Closed Account

I may be on here frequently getting help with settings. i am an amateur when it comes to manual settings. thanks again!
Glad we were able to help you sort the problem out. Ask as many questions as you need to !!! Good luck with the new " toy."
09-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
white balance

I used cam for first time at a volleyball game. Used the continuous shooting mode. Wow, now i dont miss action shots. However, using in the "green" auto mode. One thing i am wondering about is "white balance." when i try to change it says "not available in this mode." should i experiment in Av or Sv?
A friend of mine has a little white balance checker, says it helps him. Am sorry i am so dense at this. HOPEFULLY I will learn. Am using the manual, but a great deal of stuff to learn for a newbie likeme.
09-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing i am wondering about is "white balance." when i try to change it says "not available in this mode." should i experiment in Av or Sv?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Green mode does not allow you to change much. Switch to P mode and the camera behaves much the same except that you now have the option to make the full range of adjustments. The other modes are worth exploring and with time you will find those that resonate with your particular style of shooting.

Steve
09-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #12
Closed Account

HOPEFULLY I will learn. Am using the manual, but a great deal of stuff to learn for a newbie likeme.
As @stevebrot suggested, " P " mode is a very good setting to start with. In P mode, the front and back e-dials can be used to change aperture, shutter speed and when you press either the ISO and/or the exposure compensation button in conjunction with the e-dials, you can have full control of the camera. Spend a little time with your manual and set the all the parameters to suit you. You have a choice how to set the e-dials, AUTO ISO settings and so on. The AUTO white balance does a great job for 95% of situations, so it can be left on AUTO, and as you become more comfortable with the camera you can start taking settings off AUTO. But remember that any help you need is always here for the asking. Enjoy your K-3.
09-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #13

Original Poster
As @stevebrot suggested, " P " mode is a very good setting to start with. In P mode, the front and back e-dials can be used to change aperture, shutter speed and when you press either the ISO and/or the exposure compensation button in conjunction with the e-dials, you can have full control of the camera. Spend a little time with your manual and set the all the parameters to suit you. You have a choice how to set the e-dials, AUTO ISO settings and so on. The AUTO white balance does a great job for 95% of situations, so it can be left on AUTO, and as you become more comfortable with the camera you can start taking settings off AUTO. But remember that any help you need is always here for the asking. Enjoy your K-3.
well i have been experimenting with "P" mode but i am missing something. when i rotate the front or back e-dials either direction it lets me change the aperture, but can't for the life of me to the shutter speed setting. what am i doing wrong there? i followed your instructions as well as the manual, but won't go to shutter setting. i know it must be me!
09-21-2016, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #14
Closed Account

. when i rotate the front or back e-dials either direction it lets me change the aperture, but can't for the life of me to the shutter speed setting. what am i doing wrong there?
You will need to set the e-dials to your settings for " P " mode. The 1st small image shows the menu page you need. The picture is showing button customization, but you want the 1 above which is e-Dial programming. The top left of the 3 pictures shows the line you need for programming " P." Highlight P Tv Av P and touch the right button on the 4 way controller, and the setting options appear. I have mine set as shown, when in P mode, rear e-Dial does aperture, and front dial does shutter speed. Try this and if you still have problems, post again. Good luck.

EDIT - Page 71 in your manual.
Attached Images

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 09-22-2016 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Add menu page number