Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

Kx DSLR bodies going "dead"..

I've had two different Kx bodies "die" on me. While using them, they just shut down as if batteries have died. After putting fresh batteries in, there's absolutely no response of any kind. Thorough battery contact cleaning does nothing...Has anyone else had this problem? Anybody figured out the answer? Thanks!

09-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You likely already checked this but:
1) test the batteries to be sure they are actually charged. Use a battery tester
2) triple check that you have the batteries inserted correctly. I had a 'dead camera' several times with my k-x because I miss-read the battery orientation.
09-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lithium batteries seem to be problematic with K-x s. Try other batteries
09-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

I have used ultimate lithium batteries in my KX since new and never had any problems. I usually get 800 mixed photos with each set then take them out and use them in a flash or blood pressure machine. Never tried to take them all the way to empty.

09-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wsteffey Quote
I have used ultimate lithium batteries in my KX since new and never had any problems.
Glad you have had good luck with them. However, in general Lithium batteries have been problematic with the k-x and are not usually recommended. What brand are you using?
09-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Dead Kx bodies.....

Thanks to all who offered suggestions...I'd already tried 'em all! Each time one of my Kx's died, I'd replace it as I keep a "fleet" of three of them working....one as an "on the tripod" studio camera, the other two as "carry cameras". So "yes" I've made all the mistakes of improper battery installation, having "battery type" set wrong, terminals that needed a "pencil eraser" cleaning. Someday, working on the theory that "It's hard to break something that's already broken", I'll remove a dead camera's top cover to see if some corrosion has migrated past the battery chamber. Forty-some years ago I used to do a fair amount of camera repair....but eyes that could see, fingers that weren't arthritic and a younger mind could deal with gears, levers and springs. Integrated circuits, electronic chips and all this new-fangled non-mechanical stuff are pretty much beyond my skill level.

Thanks again for all who responded.
Kennuf
09-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is weird that both bodies have the same problem. Let us know what ends up happening