Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #1

Light leak in middle of image

I've been getting light leaks in the middle of my frames when shooting my Pentax 645. It's random and there's no pattern from my shutter speed or aperture. I've know multiple people to have this problem and it's only on their Pentax's. Is this a known issue with these camera's? Is it the shutter going out? Any ideas or knowledge on this would be helpful.

09-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Out of 15 exposures, about how many shots are affected? Is it always in the middle of the frame? Where was your film purchased and developed? Can you post either a couple examples or a close up of the 120 film that is backlit?
09-08-2016, 12:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems to me it might be a pretty old camera, with a possibly unknown history. I would be taking it into a professional repair centre for an evaluation.
09-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Seems to me it might be a pretty old camera, with a possibly unknown history. I would be taking it into a professional repair centre for an evaluation.
Bruce is probably right, but Iʻve had my 645 for 30 years and it has traveled with me extensively all over the world in some extreme climates and has not seen this particular issue. Before the OP spends money for an inspection, Iʻve had issues either with the film stock, X-ray damage, or mishandling in developing. Good to eliminate those before the cost and inconvenience of a pro evaluation.