Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #1

K-50 Screen and Button Issues

Hi all, I'm currently travelling the tropics taking photos of my favourite subjects - frogs.

Last night I was out with my K-50 in some heavy rain taking photos as usual. When I got back (to review my photos) I realised that my LCD screen was not turning on and that none of the buttons at the back were working. The screen is however working when the camera is switched to the video mode. Another thing I've noticed is that the lenses are automatically focusing without me pushing the shutter button.

Has anyone had a similar problem to this before? If so how would I go about fixing the camera - hopefully without voiding my warranty.

09-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The most likely cause of your problem is moisture intrusion. The camera's seals will resist both water and dust, but given enough time in heavy rain and/or a poorly-closed flap and water may make its way into the camera. The conventional emergency treatment is:
  • Remove batteries from camera (important)
  • Remove lens to allow air circulation
  • Open all flaps and doors
  • Remove SD Card
  • Dab off any obvious water inside camera or compartments
  • Put camera in a large plastic bag with desiccant packs or similar
With time the camera should dry out with (hopefully) little or no damage to the electronics. Removing the battery is critical. If desiccant packs are not available, some users have had good luck with uncooked rice, frequently changed. Your lens will probably require similar treatment.

I am sure other users will add their advice.

Steve
09-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like a button might be stuck in the pushed down position due to moisture?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The most likely cause of your problem is moisture intrusion. The camera's seals will resist both water and dust, but given enough time in heavy rain and/or a poorly-closed flap and water may make its way into the camera. The conventional emergency treatment is:
  • Remove batteries from camera (important)
  • Remove lens to allow air circulation
  • Open all flaps and doors
  • Remove SD Card
  • Dab off any obvious water inside camera or compartments
  • Put camera in a large plastic bag with desiccant packs or similar
With time the camera should dry out with (hopefully) little or no damage to the electronics. Removing the battery is critical. If desiccant packs are not available, some users have had good luck with uncooked rice, frequently changed. Your lens will probably require similar treatment.

I am sure other users will add their advice.

Steve
Thanks, some useful advice from one Steve to another! I've done all the above apart from putting the camera in a bag with desiccant. I'll do this now and similarly for the lens. Hopefully my camera will be back to working order and I'll report back if it's successful.

09-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like a button might be stuck in the pushed down position due to moisture?
Hi Adam, are you referring to the shutter button? If so, will drying it out free it or will I have to gently pry it free?
09-09-2016, 01:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like what happened to me. I wrote about it under k-s2 sub k-s2 and an interesting case of non wr lens. Camera is fine but took weeks. It still took pictures but i couldnt change ISO (backbutton). I only used a manual lens at the time so dont know about autofocus.
09-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TheCarmeleon Quote
Hi Adam, are you referring to the shutter button? If so, will drying it out free it or will I have to gently pry it free?
I'd leave the whole camera in a bowl of rice to suck out any mosture. Hard to say where it could be!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2016, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Hi all, a quick update. It appears the shutter button was stuck, after some gentle prying with some tweezers everything is working as normal again. I'm leaving the camera to dry out some more for a few days as an extra precaution. Thanks for all the advice, there is now one less panicked herpetologist in the world!