Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobtheicicle Quote
Audi 5 Cyl, any suggestions for a lower-viscosity lubricant?
I've used a very thin coat of Helimax-XP, applied with an aquarelle brush. It will not work if you put a little bit on certain places and hope that the helicoid will distribute it everywhere, no, you have to be systematic and put a very thin coat on the whole surface of the male helicoid. After that, it should work fine. I had to do it two or three times to get it right the first time.

I am also going to mention it here: if you are already going to the helicoid level, you can try to play a bit with it. If you can assemble back the lens group so as to make it just a tad bit closer (0,75mm) to the mount, that would be great. Many lenses will allow this. then you can just add a flanged adapter that locks into place et voila, pk mount Takumar with smooth focusing and no infinity issue

09-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

This grease was recommended elsewhere on Pentax Forums. I have not used it myself.

Helimax XP Camera Telescope Optical Instrument Focusing Helicoid Grease w PTFE | eBay

You may also want to refer to the Lens Disassembly Database for information and tips. Even if they don't have your exact lens, there are often good bits of info that apply across lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/179884-pe...ml#post1878155
09-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #18

Original Poster
Some clarifications based on further examinations and testing:

The locking spring/tab on the adapter seems to be in good shape. It has no trouble locking the adapter onto the K1000, the K-01, or the K-3. It holds securely against moderate pressure from my hand, and when mounting and un-mounting the Takumar 50/1.4.

Only when I mount the Takumar 300/4 does it unlock, such that the lens and adapter come out together (but only on the newer KAF mounts, not the K1000's classic K mount). I'm still at a loss to explain this behavior, and I can't really find a solution without understanding the problem.

Separately, I do intend to tear down the lens so I can re-grease the helicoid. I didn't really realize just how stiff it was until my wife tried to turn the focusing ring and had significant trouble (she's a fellow Pentaxian and we share most of our lenses). When I do, I'll make a post with pictures and comments to try to make life easier for anyone else who has to do it to one of these 1958 lenses down the road.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. I really appreciate your time!
09-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you also check the locking spring of the camera? They lock against each other. Perhaps that one is pushed in crooked.

09-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #20

Original Poster
As far as I can tell, the locking pins/springs on the camera(s) are all in pristine shape. If they were damaged, I'd expect them to interfere with the mounting or retaining of other lenses, or of the adapter with when using the 50mm takumar.
09-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Did you also check the locking spring of the camera? They lock against each other. Perhaps that one is pushed in crooked.
Good point. The operation of the angled piece of spring metal in the camera mount is not easily appreciated unless one has the means to watch it in action. If it is bent or deformed or out of place, the catch spring on the adapter will fail to engage. One scenario for that happening is if it is forced back on itself or by attempting to extract an improperly inserted adapter.

Steve
09-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #22

Original Poster
I've pulled the lens apart to re-grease the focusing helical. It really freed up the focusing, but the lens still unseats the adapter without much resistance (and the Super Tak 50 still doesn't).

I put together a short post about how I took apart the lens to check the infinity focus and clean and grease the helical: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/330052-d...958-model.html

Still usable from a tripod, so I'm not too stressed about it (this lens is large enough that a tripod is pretty much a necessity anyway).