Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ILX - metering and mirror lock up

I've been lucky enough to buy an ILX at a bargain price recently but after inserting new batteries (SR44's) still no reading from the meter and the mirror is still locking below 1/60th of a second. Any suggestions? I originally had some V76 batteries which I found out later were the wrong ones... just hope they didn't screw up the electrics in the camera! Any help/advice great appreciated, would be nice to get this camera working again.

09-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are the contacts clean? also make sure they are in the right position!
09-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As above, make sure batteries are inserted correctly and that they are brand new. If these are good you should see the meter LEDs come on when half pressing the shutter. Otherwise electronics (batteries, wires, circuitry) are in question but you can still use the higher shutter speeds but with no meter. For pro repairs, you can contact Eric @ http://pentaxs.com.

Search shows that V76px are suitable substitute for sr44 and others so i would not think that would cause problems.

Last edited by LesDMess; 09-10-2016 at 08:31 PM.
09-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by jools711 Quote
I've been lucky enough to buy an ILX at a bargain price recently but after inserting new batteries (SR44's) still no reading from the meter and the mirror is still locking below 1/60th of a second. Any suggestions? I originally had some V76 batteries which I found out later were the wrong ones... just hope they didn't screw up the electrics in the camera! Any help/advice great appreciated, would be nice to get this camera working again.
The printed circuit board located around advance lever has contact points that must engage the timing circuit. If the camera was service recently, the person didn't check the lever that must contact the board to energize the low speeds or didn't tighten it down and the loose board might give random function. Not an easy DYI task. Was this one of those Japan sellers? ...Oh... Do contact Eric Hendrickson... If it was one of those bargain LX from a Japan seller, it is much like one of those I picked up...now for parts. Many mixed up parts inside.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-10-2016 at 10:02 PM.
09-11-2016, 04:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your Pentax camera model is actually LX; there's no "I". The stylized script confuses many.
Either battery should work.

The Pentax LX is not a good candidate for DIY repairs.
It is an excellent professional quality camera and well-worth investing in repair.

Suggest a good professional repairer.
The most experienced and reasonably priced in USA is Eric Hendrickson.
Link: Pentax Repair by Eric Hendrickson

Chris
09-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Pentax LX batteries, electronics...

Thanks for your replies to my post. I have contacted Eric already, he did a great job with my Super A and quoted a ball park figure of no more than $300.00 to fix the LX, without seeing it first. I don't know the history of the camera... I work for a photographic retailer and bought the camera listed as a bargain at the cost price. I'm not going to attempt any DIY repairs myself, except maybe try and clean the battery chamber... any suggestions as to the best and safest way to do this...?! Will probably send it to Eric as soon as finances permit. Thanks again for your replies and suggestions.
09-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by jools711 Quote
Thanks for your replies to my post. I have contacted Eric already, he did a great job with my Super A and quoted a ball park figure of no more than $300.00 to fix the LX, without seeing it first. I don't know the history of the camera... I work for a photographic retailer and bought the camera listed as a bargain at the cost price. I'm not going to attempt any DIY repairs myself, except maybe try and clean the battery chamber... any suggestions as to the best and safest way to do this...?! Will probably send it to Eric as soon as finances permit. Thanks again for your replies and suggestions.
Do try baking soda method if you have batt acid. Take your time to get as much to all out.