Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I recall another thread discussing the high failure rate on Sony cards. Have you checked on Sony's Customer/Tech Support? I glanced at it and they offer a recovery download program for each model of card - claims to reinstall/recover system files they use on their cards.

09-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I recall, there were quite a few threads on other hardware forums with regard to compatibility problems with Sony SD cards.. I almost bought one when the price once was too attractive to resist. At this point, I would try different SD card readers (perhaps some older models) to see if it can recognise the card (and its content). I am not sure if Sony provide some Rescue software to detect Sony cards failure (like Sandisk or Lexar provide their own). Wish you good luck... and hope you can salvage the photos from it.

Just realised that you said the card was working before... so it is potentially an error occurred due to file corruption. If you can see the drive letter from your windows PC, you can try using "chkdsk /f" to fix the error using windows command line interface. Hopefully it is just a minor issue and you can get it fixed.

Last edited by aleonx3; 09-12-2016 at 10:26 AM.
09-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter

I had the same thing happen with an almost new Lexar SD card. It wouldn't format by K-1 or K-3 or recognized by computer. Since then I have set the memory card options to record on both cards.
09-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Might be too late now, but hope this link might help in the future.

11 Tips For Avoiding Memory Card Problems - PhotoNaturalist
Great tips. Here's another:

12. Lock the card before putting in the cardreader. Both Windows & Mac OS write various hidden files to the card and open various low-level files on the card for read/write usage. Those added files and file system activities increase the chance of corruption. Locking the card will reduce the chance of that.

(Note: it won't eliminate the risk because the lock tab is NOT a hardware lock. It's a software feature that the operating system is supposed to respect, but......)

09-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Hopefully you are able to get the photos off but either way I would not use that card again. SD cards are cheap enough that IMO it is not worth messing with a potentially bad card.

On that note if you like the Sony SD cards I would not bother buying a UHS-3 one again since the K-1 does not support that speed. The UHS-1 version of that card is $35.
09-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #21
Syb
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
how instructive..

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
Hopefully you are able to get the photos off but either way I would not use that card again. SD cards are cheap enough that IMO it is not worth messing with a potentially bad card.

On that note if you like the Sony SD cards I would not bother buying a UHS-3 one again since the K-1 does not support that speed. The UHS-1 version of that card is $35.
Oh, really? Gosh, this thread is very informative... so the conslusion seems to be: I bought far too expensive card... larger than is wise and faster than my K1 can write... of a brand that is heavily criticized for failing cards.

New is the suggestion to see what Sony help itself offers, thanks again all!
09-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, I've got the same problem with my K1 and Sony SD cards in slot #2 only, but not issue at all with three other brands of cards whatever the temperature or battery level. I concluded that those Sony cards aren't full spec. but slightly marginal versus other cards. Never mind.
09-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter

It may be too late into this thread, but you might want to try reformat using the utility from the SD Association Web site. There are a number of things that may result in the card being unrecognizable to the camera and using the OS format feature is a potential problem source. Use the utility from the source below (ignore the lack of Win 10 on the compatibility matrix) with the option FULL (Overwrite). The card should then be readable by the camera again. Do an in-camera format and you are ready to go.

SD Card Formatter - SD Association

Steve

09-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #24
Syb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Trying to fill in the questions on Sony rescue site. However, there they say the codes I enter are not valid. That is not really encouraging...

Sony Global - Memory Media Portal - How to Find Model Name / Serial Number / Downloading Code
09-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Trying to fill in the questions on Sony rescue site. However, there they say the codes I enter are not valid. That is not really encouraging...

Sony Global - Memory Media Portal - How to Find Model Name / Serial Number / Downloading Code
Doesn't sound good... just another suggestion, did you try to use a SD/USB adapter and use the USB port in Windows PC? If it can and still gives error, at least you can see which drive letter "?" Windows is detecting... then use the chkdsk command to fix the corrupted file table in the SD card.
09-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #26
Syb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now trying the chkdsk D: command. No response whatsoever yet.

---------- Post added 09-12-2016 at 10:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It may be too late into this thread, but you might want to try reformat using the utility from the SD Association Web site. There are a number of things that may result in the card being unrecognizable to the camera and using the OS format feature is a potential problem source. Use the utility from the source below (ignore the lack of Win 10 on the compatibility matrix) with the option FULL (Overwrite). The card should then be readable by the camera again. Do an in-camera format and you are ready to go.

SD Card Formatter - SD Association

Steve

Hi Steve, can I format a drive using this software, through the Pentax camera? Or is it like the chkdsk command, only through a reader?
09-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Hi Steve, can I format a drive using this software, through the Pentax camera? Or is it like the chkdsk command, only through a reader?
Good question! I forgot that your reader was dead. I just did so on my K-3, so it should work on your K-1. For simplicity's sake, only have the bad card in the camera.

Steve