Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

light meter???

I have a k-3II, I played around with the menu setting up the camera...when I focused through the viewfinder I didn't have a light meter (shooting manual). I am using a 55mm Mamiya lens with adapter. So how do I get the light meter to work? Thanks, Frank

The light meter only works when I use the the preview dial

Last edited by fnflying; 09-12-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: forgot info
09-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

If I recall... You have to turn off the electronic level. Disabling the level brings up the meter..?

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-12-2016 at 12:27 PM.
09-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you have followed all the usual steps before starting to shoot with an off-brand lens requiring an adapter.

The meter probably doesn't respond in manual mode because it doesn't know what aperture the lens is. In that case, the Green Button is your friend as it will force the camera to pick a shutter speed based on available light (in the stopped down condition) and selected ISO, much as it continually does in Av.
09-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
If I recall... You have to turn on the electronic level. Disabling the level brings up the meter.
turning them on, I get a meter...but it's not the light meter. light meter is working only when I use the preview dial...not convenient, but a hassle, not enough fingers.

---------- Post added 09-12-16 at 02:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I assume you have followed all the usual steps before starting to shoot with an off-brand lens requiring an adapter.

The meter probably doesn't respond in manual mode because it doesn't know what aperture the lens is. In that case, the Green Button is your friend as it will force the camera to pick a shutter speed based on available light (in the stopped down condition) and selected ISO, much as it continually does in Av.
so what your saying is when I am ready to shoot a non pentax lens (already told the camera the focal length), I have the camera in manual, set the aperture, that all I have to do is press the green button and shoot?

09-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@fnflying : strongly suggest you read through the link supplied by @pathdoc. Using non-Pentax, or Non-A lenses on Pentax cameras is certainly possible and actually quite easy IF you follow the instructions and learn the limitations. It can be rather frustrating if you do not.

Best of luck.
09-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
The camera can't meter without knowing the lens' aperture setting, either electronically (A lenses) or mechanically. On old cameras that don't have the "crippled" mount, native manual lenses interface through a lever which indicates the aperture setting. Not sure how adapters work, my guess is that most don't have this, but either way recent models including your k3 haven't been able to read that for quite some years. So funny enough, my M lenses are easier to use on the film super program than on digital.