Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It really does not matter - Just photograph the rear of the lens. Someone here will know what mount it is. So far as I'm aware, Vivitar uses the M42 screw mount. Not 100% sure though!

09-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #17

Original Poster
ok got you. I think I've reached the limit interms of images per threa though. I will take all the lens home tomm and concentrate on the mounts. So far is it worh $40

I'm 66.kb over the lim, but will try in the morn

Night

Last edited by enyaw; 09-19-2016 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add image
09-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll be under the limit now. :-)
09-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #19

Original Poster
that is the only mount I got to take a pic of, didn't think about that when I was taking pics of then lens and I only had 15 mins

If I have to do anything special to the lens besides the adapter. I don't think it's worth it for me aka file things down or ad tape. That's if they are in excellent condition to begin with. Even the flash was left on. I just got this today

thx,

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
09-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That looks like M42, unless it's M38. I'd say it's highly likely it's M42, and, if so, will work with your adapter.
09-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That looks like M42, unless it's M38. I'd say it's highly likely it's M42, and, if so, will work with your adapter.
The aperture stop down pin is a giveaway for M42. M38 were all pre-set...
09-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #22

Original Poster
thanks, so it's worth $40 for the 3 lens right. He asked for $40 for the camera , bag, flash and the 3 lens. If so then that's a deal of the year for me lol

09-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as you don't get that adapter stuck again!
09-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #24

Original Poster
lol, learned my lesson get genuine pentax m42 screwmount adapter or kipon lol. I've just inherited some fine glass. I think they are all primes, wow!!!!!
and I've only had the camera for 3 months. Go figure
09-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very good luck there! Enjoy.
09-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #26

Original Poster
Hi just cleaned them up a bit and smaller res pics now took top and bottom of each lens. Why are some pins shorter are they worn out? And should the lens be on the auto or manual setting in order to work with the k50?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
09-21-2016, 12:44 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pins on the lenses are there to stop down the lens on a camera that will stop down the lens automatically when you take a picture. I have no idea why there might be different lengths except for maybe that the length does not matter. Not on a K50 anyway, it will not stop them down.
To use the A-M feature on the lens;
With A showing, select the smallest aperture, push the pin in then let it out and watch the Iris open and close. A camera with the requisite coupling would be able to do this.
With M showing, turn the aperture ring from one extreme to the other and you will see the Iris open and close.

To use these lenses with a K to M42 adapter, they should be set to manual, as should your camera, focus wide open then stop down (which will show the in viewfinder by darkening) to the aperture you would like to use, perform the "green button" metering as described in many forum threads (the enabling of the use of these lenses will probably also have to be set in the menu on the camera if not already set, lots of threads showing this too) and shoot away.

Should you have any M42 lenses that are auto (without the A and M setting switch), you will either have to shoot wide open or fix the pin so it is permanently depressed. (Methods also described in various threads)

Sorry I keep referring you to other threads posted in the forum without appropriate links but I have to go and have my breakfast before it gets cold. Reading the relevant posts in the forum is good for you anyway.
09-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #28

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the input/advice. I've ordered the genuine Pentax adapter from Australia ebay. Skodadriver, thanks for the concise wrap up. Hope your breakie didn't get cold. I will post a pic or 2 once the adapter arrives, probably only use the 55mm to get my feet wet.
09-22-2016, 02:03 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just in case you did not know or are yet to find out, some M42 mount lenses have a rather narrow lens base which leaves the camera's contacts exposed or partially exposed, probably not a good thing. If you are not too worried about losing infinity focus on such a lens there is a flanged adapter that has the flange covering the contacts. The one I have is metal and works well on my K-5 as the lens feels more strongly mounted and less likely to damage the camera bayonet with a heavy lens. In my opinion.
The loss of infinity focus is a direct result of the flange acting like a mini extension tube, allowing slightly closer focussing as a result. The distance over which the lens will focus differs with different lenses. Just a thought, I picked mine up at little cost.
There is also an adapter with an internal flange (made by Kippon?) that depresses the pin which saves having to perform some surgery on those lenses that have no A-M switch. I have no experience of them though I might look out for one.
Enjoy your M42 mount lenses.
09-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some images showing the two types of adapter fitted.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo