Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 01:51 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up. Now I have another issue. Back on page 1 I showed an image of the 55mm 1.8 that I bought my first adapter for. I took it into the store for them to put it on for me. And it got stuck. The camera store got the lens off my camera but now the adapter is stuck on my lens. In the end they got the lens off the body. Any ideas how I can remove it? I'm going to try a slip nose plier first, then I'm going to and use a dremel. And see if I can cut it off without any damage to the lens. A bit worried about plan B

---------- Post added 09-23-16 at 01:52 AM ----------

I have no plans for getting any more screwmount lens period. I'll just look for K mount and newer down the road.

09-23-2016, 02:03 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you saying the adapter is stuck to the lens? I've just tested my 1:1.8/55mm with both adapter types. (It's the identical lens to yours.) As the lens simply screws into the adapter, I'm really confused as to how it can be "stuck" to the lens. There's nothing to hold it attached to the lens.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-23-2016 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Information added.
09-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
Thanks for the heads up. Now I have another issue. Back on page 1 I showed an image of the 55mm 1.8 that I bought my first adapter for. I took it into the store for them to put it on for me. And it got stuck. The camera store got the lens off my camera but now the adapter is stuck on my lens. In the end they got the lens off the body. Any ideas how I can remove it? I'm going to try a slip nose plier first, then I'm going to and use a dremel. And see if I can cut it off without any damage to the lens. A bit worried about plan B

---------- Post added 09-23-16 at 01:52 AM ----------

I have no plans for getting any more screwmount lens period. I'll just look for K mount and newer down the road.

Re-attach the lens and adapter to your camera and the lens should unscrew from the adapter. The adapter has a small spring at about 10 o'clock, push the spring in towards the camera mouth with a small screwdriver, press in the lens release button on the camera (which should depress the locking pin from the hole in the adapter) and try and turn the adapter with the screwdriver counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) about 20 to 30 degrees. The adapter should come out of the camera mouth..
09-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So far as I'm aware, Vivitar uses the M42 screw mount. Not 100% sure though!
Classic* Vivitar lenses were made in multiple mounts. The models in the OP's photos date from the 1970s - 1980s and are available in K-mount as well as for most other SLR bodies of the time.

Steve

* Lenses made for Ponder & Best as opposed to product currently carrying the brand name.

09-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi, I'm referring to page 1 of my post. Nothing to do with the vivitar lens. Sorry for the confusion. On the first page of the thread I showed the said adapter and lens. I'm going to take a pic now of the setup. The adapter is stuck, and I didn't put it on the store did. And I would like an option or 2 how to get it of please. I don't want to ruin the lens or buy a new one. I haven't even taken a picture with it yet. No Lol. As a side note they didn't even know what direction to unmount the lens. No lol

---------- Post added 09-23-16 at 02:56 PM ----------

I told the lady she had to line up the red dots but they said no. I thought it was on backwards but they told me it can only go on one way. What do I know. So now I'm stuck with this on my nice piece of glass I can't use. That's why I ordered the genuine pentax adapter. And getting a bad taste in my mouth about the entire m42 situation. If I had 2 bodies I wouldn't mind as much but I don't.

thx

---------- Post added 09-23-16 at 03:10 PM ----------

I'm new to all of this remember. Yeah the mistakes will cost me but. I have a handful of m42 lens now and the proper adapter on the way. But I don't want to lose this one because it's highly rated. In my defense I didn't attach the mount adapter or lens. The lady in the store did
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 

Last edited by enyaw; 09-23-2016 at 03:17 PM.
09-23-2016, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

There shouldn't be anything holding it on to the adapter. On some Auto Takumar lenses there is a stud/button that releases the Auto/Man switch when it is depress by mounting the lens securely to the camera body.

It is suspected that this stud is the cause of jamming on some of the 3rd party knock-offs patterned after the genuine Pentax adapter. If this is the case the Auto/Manual switch will lock in the Auto position. One solution that has worked for some people is to slide a thin piece of metal like a feeler gauge between the adapter and lens mount. The only thing it could be catching on is the cutout slot for the K-mount locking pin. If this is the case you may be able to see the tip of the stud in the slot and press it in with a small screw driver or tooth pick and unscrew the mount.

Otherwise the adapter was cross-threaded damaging the threads when it was installed and only brute force or cutting of the adapter will get it off.

See also this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/3954-why-...heres-pin.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-23-2016 at 03:55 PM.
09-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
that is a godsend, and will look into that before my other 2 options thx

promise
09-23-2016, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

In my opinion if the shop got it jammed on they should get it off too, and reimburse you if they destroy the lens in the process. But I guess that wouldn't work.

If it's not that pin, how hard have you tried to unscrew it? Have you tried with some gloves/a towel? I sometimes get mine 'jammed' on a bit after prolonged use, but it's usually simply me cutting my fingers unscrewing it and a towel will help

Don't let it put you off the m42 lenses before you've used them though, they usually don't give any problems at all and are fun to use. Just go slowly and research and read a lot before you do something you're unsure of.

09-24-2016, 04:08 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is off counterclockwise? I tried the towel method, no go. I don't see a space between the lens and the adapter it's flush. So there is no way I can slip anything in between them. I'm going to try the slip nose plier and the dremel last. The auto/manual switch is working normally. Seems like cross threading to me, aka worst case scenario. That's why I took it to those guys in case a screwed up, lo and behold they got the honours.

thx,

Last edited by enyaw; 09-24-2016 at 04:28 AM.
09-24-2016, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

The Super Takumar lenses may not have the clutch pin. The few I have do not. The SMC and Super Multi Coated Takumars that I have all seem to have them.

If you have a spare K-mount rear lens cap you might be able to use that as a wrench or at least get a better grip to unscrew the pesky adapter. One of those strap wrench bottle openers might do the trick too. But if the adapter is cross threaded than it is a write off so destructive methods are not an issue except the metal shavings that could damage the lens.
09-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I plan on cutting out a circle from a piece of thin foam board and tape that circle on before I start as an added piece of protection if it comes down to that or stuff it with tissue paper and tape it up. And I'll keep the front lens cap on
09-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I knew I read about using a lens cap as a wrench. That's a no go unfortunately. I dremel it tomm. The only thing that pisses me off is I didn't do it. Someone else did. And now I have to clean up after them and potentially damaging a lens. Just goes to show you. Cross thread for sure.

Wish me luck,
09-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Is off counterclockwise? I tried the towel method, no go. I don't see a space between the lens and the adapter it's flush. So there is no way I can slip anything in between them. I'm going to try the slip nose plier and the dremel last. The auto/manual switch is working normally. Seems like cross threading to me, aka worst case scenario. That's why I took it to those guys in case a screwed up, lo and behold they got the honours.

thx,

I knew I read about using a lens cap as a wrench. That's a no go unfortunately. I dremel it tomm. The only thing that pisses me off is I didn't do it. Someone else did. And now I have to clean up after them and potentially damaging a lens. Just goes to show you. Cross thread for sure.

Wish me luck,
If it's cross thread, then I can't see how it can also be flush, as you say. You do remember "lefty loosy, righty tighty"? (I trust you're turning the correct way?) As noted, I have the identical lens and adapters - I can't figure what's holding them attached to each other.
09-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Mark, I took three more pics at 6 o clock is where the largest gap I can cut it off is located. I also turned it to be at 9 o' clock and one from the side.

---------- Post added 09-24-16 at 06:57 PM ----------

turn all images aka desk 1/4 clockwise to 6 o' clock
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
09-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Original Poster