Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter

m42 screw mount adapter

Hi I'm new here but have a few questions. I like your forum btw, the lens review section has been very helpful. I picked up a takumar 55mm f1.8 because of the great reviews. I didn't know I would need an adapter so I picked one up. I know what to do with the settings in camera. But this lens has an auto and manual switch. Where should I set it while trying to use it? Also the adapter looks something like this,

Universal M42 Screw Mount Lens TO Pentax K PK Camera Adapter Ring FOR K10D K20D | eBay

package says M42-PK

I didn't know there were 2 kinds. How does it goe onto the lens and how do I know when it's attached properly? It didn't come with instructions, if this type of adapter has been addressed elsewhere could you please forward the link and that would solve my problems maybe. 1st time pentax user and admire their cameras. I also have a Nikon D7000.

I don't want to start a new thread about my second question. I have a tamron80-210mm f4.5-5.6 af. It came with a uv filter and I kept it on. I went out to test the lens and most of my images came out blurry. I used af.c, with 11 points.

second lens highly rated pentax D AL 55-300mm f4-5.8 also with uv filter but this time I used centre focus. Also most of the images came out blurry. Before I go re shoot. Do you think it has anything to do with the uv filters? Oh on the 300mm I turned on Image Stabilization. But it didn't help much

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,

---------- Post added 09-12-16 at 04:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
Hi I'm new here but have a few questions. I like your forum btw, the lens review section has been very helpful. I picked up a takumar 55mm f1.8 because of the great reviews. I didn't know I would need an adapter so I picked one up. I know what to do with the settings in camera. But this lens has an auto and manual switch. Where should I set it while trying to use it? Also the adapter looks something like this,

Universal M42 Screw Mount Lens TO Pentax K PK Camera Adapter Ring FOR K10D K20D | eBay

package says M42-PK

I didn't know there were 2 kinds. How does it goe onto the lens and how do I know when it's attached properly? It didn't come with instructions, if this type of adapter has been addressed elsewhere could you please forward the link and that would solve my problems maybe. 1st time pentax user and admire their cameras. I also have a Nikon D7000.

I don't want to start a new thread about my second question. I have a tamron80-210mm f4.5-5.6 af. It came with a uv filter and I kept it on. I went out to test the lens and most of my images came out blurry. I used af.c, with 11 points.

second lens highly rated pentax D AL 55-300mm f4-5.8 also with uv filter but this time I used centre focus. Also most of the images came out blurry. Before I go re shoot. Do you think it has anything to do with the uv filters? Oh on the 300mm I turned on Image Stabilization. But it didn't help much

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
ps. If it would be helpful I could submit images taken from both lens, and or the adapter and lens in question

09-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the thread you want to look at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
And this one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/323690-original-...tuck-k-s2.html

There are two types of adapters. The type you bought does not allow focus to infinity, the other one does.
09-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi I did go through the article and just played with the manual automatic switch on the lens. When it's in manual I guess the auto doesn't show. But I didn't find anything pertaining to how the "said ring I purchased should be attached. Thanks for your input. I know how to do the in camera stuff. but the actual attachment I'm afraid of doing. I might take it to the store. To see if they know how to attach it then I will do the settings when I get home. Any info regarding the focusing issues with lens I've used?

nice forum.
09-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

For your kind of adapter (the non-infinity focus type) you can mount the adapter to the lens and then mount the lens and adapter to the camera. Or, you can mount the adapter to the camera and then screw in the lens. With the other adapter, you always mount the adapter to the camera body first and then screw in the lens.

Look at this thread too: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/60-accessory-memory-articles/87287-right-...t-adaptor.html

09-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you, I now have the said images. I hope it wasn't the uv filters and just a setting. I'm going to look at what you posted just now. It's my first and maybe only m42 lens for now lol. If I were to aquire more of these types of lens. I would certainly buy the pentax one with the flange adapter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-19-2016 at 06:41 PM.
09-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

You want the one without the flange - that way your lens will sit at the correct plane and you'll be able to focus to infinity.
09-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
aka the pentax one? would you recommend the Kipon. From what I've read, the original is the way to go. Less headaches down the road and don't have to go shopping again trying to save $30 and it has instructions. Thanks again Mark
09-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The proper Pentax one won't give you the problems with the little clip that you get from the cheap knock-offs. If you have an old spare K-mount body, practice installation and removal on that first.

09-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your question about the pictures being blurry. I am going to take a shot in the dark and guess you were handholding and not using a monopod or tripod. Handholding a lens zoomed out to 300mm and using a shutter speed of 200th of a second is asking for the pictures being blurry. It all boils down to technique. I have seen a way to figure what shutter speed you should be using depending on the lens focal length, I just can not remember what it is. I'm sure another member will chime in and tell you what it is.

Basically though, your shutter speed should not normally be slower then what focal length you are using. A good example is the third picture you posted. The data shows you were shooting 300mm at 1/200th a second. At 300mm, your shutter speed should have been no less than 1/400th of a second, unless you are using a tripod. If you can not get the shutter speed up to where you need them, do not be afraid to bump up the ISO.

Trust me, I have taken a lot of pictures and make a lot of mistakes because I forget the basics, so I am not expert by any means. I am sure others will reply with more and better techniques but what I posted can be a start in the right direction.
09-13-2016, 01:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks bigdavephoto, I think I know the rule your talking about. 300mm should be about 1/450 of a second. 1.5x the focal length. I thought the image stabilization would allow me to shoot at a lower shutter speed. Yes I was handholding, I wouldn't use a monopod on a 300mm anything bigger yeah for sure.
09-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HI I didn't want to open a new thread. When I've configured my 55mm f1.8 according to the video. Can I save all the changes as a user setting aka U1 or U2? That way when I go back to using normal autofocus lens the camera will work normally? Or it doesn't affect it at all. Because it's my only manual focus lens

thanks,
09-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
HI I didn't want to open a new thread. When I've configured my 55mm f1.8 according to the video. Can I save all the changes as a user setting aka U1 or U2? That way when I go back to using normal autofocus lens the camera will work normally? Or it doesn't affect it at all. Because it's my only manual focus lens

thanks,
Yes, you can save your preset for manual lenses to one of your user positions.
09-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi thanks for your input. I'm going to abort on that cheap adapter but. I just acquired 2 lens for sure and a potential third. Will these lens work on the K50 with the "proper" adapter aka pentax m42?

I hope these images come out. Or I will sell off the lot. I took the first lens to the store and the adapter got stuck and now I"m shy. Someone at work came over with an old vivitar film camera and said it's yours for $40 There is still 1 more lens actually on the camera. Should I go for it? I think it's a steal for $40 just for the lens but will they work on the m42 adapter? If not I'll abort
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-19-2016 at 06:42 PM.
09-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter

What type of mount is on the back of that Vivitar lens? Can you photograph the mount side of the lens?
09-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Mark, I can't till tomm. It's at work which one the small or large one? they are both vivitar , even the film camera that it comes with is a vivitar

---------- Post added 09-19-16 at 06:24 PM ----------

I know they are dirty, aka dusty I took them on my last break but the serial #'s are there. I only have 1 more pic