Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 12:44 AM   #1

K1000 Lens Release

Hello! I discovered a nice K1000 some time ago in a second-hand shop; my SN is 8158205. The Old Fellow looks to have been used quite a bit(!), but, the shutter speeds certainly seem Great! Alas, the lens release is frozen...how much of a job will this be to free-up? I will say, that I have many years experience--as a Hobbyist--working on classic / antique pocket and wrist watches, so, I have a good selection hand tools for fine work, plus a decent sense of things mechanical. Thanks. Michael.

09-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to admit that just when I thought I had heard of everything, this issue pops up. Is the release button stuck in the in position or out position? You do not indicate if there is a lens attached to the camera or not. If not, you can shine a flashlight down and in where the button is activated and see if there is any obstruction. You may also consider taking some 3 in 1 oil, apply the oil onto a toothpick and try to spread around the outer surface of the button. Should free it up unless the previous owner has abused the unit. If you have a camera sales/service center in your area give them a call and ask if the unit is salvageable without having to take a second mortgage on your home. Good luck with that. Hope this helps.

Tony
09-13-2016, 01:57 AM   #3
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Maddan Quote
Alas, the lens release is frozen...how much of a job will this be to free-up?
Hi Michael. When you say the lens release is frozen, do you mean that a lens is on the body that you cannot remove? if that is the case, can you tell us what lens it is please.
09-13-2016, 04:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is the locking pin you are speaking of then I have a little experience in this matter.

Sometimes the locking pin does not move despite full depression of the release switch. In my situation it was because the mechanism transferring finger pressure was bent. Being bent, it meant that I was not able to fully action the mechanism resulting in a residual part of the locking pin remaining in the lens locking hole.

From memory, I recall twisting the release switch to compensate for the bend in the mechanism then depressed the mechanism to maximum extent. With some force this eventually permitted sufficient clearance to allow the lens to be detached.

Once removed I then opened up the body mount and fixed the faulty part.

09-15-2016, 03:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have to admit that just when I thought I had heard of everything, this issue pops up. Is the release button stuck in the in position or out position? You do not indicate if there is a lens attached to the camera or not. If not, you can shine a flashlight down and in where the button is activated and see if there is any obstruction. You may also consider taking some 3 in 1 oil, apply the oil onto a toothpick and try to spread around the outer surface of the button. Should free it up unless the previous owner has abused the unit. If you have a camera sales/service center in your area give them a call and ask if the unit is salvageable without having to take a second mortgage on your home. Good luck with that. Hope this helps.

Tony
Tonytee...thanks for the reply! The pin is stuck in the down position...I removed the lens mounting plate, &--with a bit of gentle wiggling (!) the pin came with it...the steel clip that's affixed to the releae button is OK. The pin was Absolutely Stuck in the lens plate...using a watchmaker's staking set and a proper flat-nosed punch, I removed the pin...it was Really tight! The release button remains in the down position...it, too, seems Really Stuck! I will try a drop or two of my watch cleaning solution on it--I use L&R Extra Fine--and see if that'll get to it...if this doesn't free the little weasel, I reckon disassembly will be necessary...although,this may be beyond what I'm comfortable doing. Thanks again! Michael.
09-15-2016, 03:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Michael. When you say the lens release is frozen, do you mean that a lens is on the body that you cannot remove? if that is the case, can you tell us what lens it is please.
pjv...thanks for the reply! Please take a look at my response to Tonytee...I'm making some progress! Michael.

---------- Post added 09-15-16 at 03:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
If it is the locking pin you are speaking of then I have a little experience in this matter.

Sometimes the locking pin does not move despite full depression of the release switch. In my situation it was because the mechanism transferring finger pressure was bent. Being bent, it meant that I was not able to fully action the mechanism resulting in a residual part of the locking pin remaining in the lens locking hole.

From memory, I recall twisting the release switch to compensate for the bend in the mechanism then depressed the mechanism to maximum extent. With some force this eventually permitted sufficient clearance to allow the lens to be detached.

Once removed I then opened up the body mount and fixed the faulty part.
Wild Mark...thanks for the info: I appreciate the input! The release is Really Stuck in the down ( release ) position...I'll try to free it tomorrow, using a VERY small amount of a watch cleaning solution ( I'm pretty good around 'things mechanical', & I'll be extra careful to use a minimum of my "L&R Extra Fine"...this solution is really effective at removing old oil / grease / crud (!) from watches...antique as well as contemporary pieces ), using a very fine-tipped tool,with my loupe on ( my long-standing hobby is working on watches...I've enjoyed attending to several hundred ). It'll be fun to see how it works out! Thanks again. Michael.
09-15-2016, 03:45 AM   #7
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done and good luck !!!