Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD cards and Micro SD cards seeking more Knowledge, facts and opinions

I have a mini sd card with adapter which has developed a problem. for some reason, when I load it into my K 3 the locking slide goes from "open" to "lock"

so I am looking into finding another adapter for the mini sd card.

when I talked to B&H, the person's opinion was to avoid using a mini sd card for cameras. his explanation was the possibility of failure and he didn't think the speed, etc was the same for a mini sd card and a full sd card

so

1. any suggestion on replacing the faulty adapter for my mini sd card,

2 any source for buying just the adapter, not the mini sd card + adapter?

3 if so, would any adapter work or does it need to be matched to the quality of the mini sd card?

4 is there a difference between using a full sd card or a mini sd card for a K 3 or K 5 II or any dslr?

I like the mini sd card b/c I can load the mini sd card directly into my nook for easy transfer or access to photos. My nook has 32 gb memory but accepts mini sd cards as well and I like to keep the photos on the mini sd card to keep the internal memory as free as possible.

thanks for any help and/or advice or comments.

(yes, I have tried other mini sd cards + adapters without incident in the camera so the fault is, I believe in the adapter card)

Last edited by Aslyfox; 09-13-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Dealing with micro not mini
09-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer...

why not upload photographs to the cloud (flickr, etc) and access them that was on your tablet?
09-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
why not upload photographs to the cloud (flickr, etc) and access them that was on your tablet?
honestly, I'm a pencil paper type of guy, computers scare me

I try to apply KISS system as much as possible.
09-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Some people have solved SD card problems by applying a dab of superglue onto the lock button. This would work well as long as the glue does not chip and fall into the camera tray, so you have to use a decent type of super glue (one that actually works with plastic) and apply it well, taking care that there are no protruding bits of the glue sticking out of the card. And if the glue is very liquid, make sure it doesn't trickle inside of the card? Just apply common sense

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
2 any source for buying just the adapter, not the mini sd card + adapter?
I don't think this exists "new", other than websites like ebay or local listings, because a lot of people have more adapters than they need. So ask around locally, check websites where people are selling stuff they don't need

3 if so, would any adapter work or does it need to be matched to the quality of the mini sd card?
I've never heard of these adapters being checked for quality, though I guess it could be possible that some adapters throttle the speed? I really don't know. That said, I have a couple adapters, and even though they are different brands, they look exactly the same. Almost like they were made in the same factors in China somewhere. So I wouldn't really worry about this, unless I got an adapter that looked suspicious or untrustworthy.

4 is there a difference between using a full sd card or a mini sd card for a K 3 or K 5 II or any dslr?
There might be. Some people claim that a fast mini SD with an adapter is no worse than an SD card, but I don't quite believe it. I think it is better to have a nice, fast SD card. SD cards can be faster (note that the latest, UHS2 cards are not yet supported in Pentax cameras, so you can use them, but not at full speed.). Secondly, a full SD card gives you less problems - as you are learning now, with the adapter troubles.

09-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I use flickr for storing my better pictures and simply access them from there on tablet and phone. So Plus 1 for that idea.

As for mini vs. full size, I have been told and I have read that the mini cards are less reliable. There is certainly the potential (as you have seen) for the adapter to fail. My understanding however is that all the adapters are simply passive and any quality one will work. I have several and I have used them for non-camera purposes interchangeably.

However I have found little consensus in actual data - plenty of opinion but little to back it up. Here's an article showing that the latest tiny SD card outperforms the full size version on a few tests...

Why It's Sometimes Better to Buy MicroSD Instead of Full Size SD Card - Tested

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/4544/11/49-sd-and-microsd-cards-tested-ther...ormance-scores

I can not find any comparison of reliability that emphatically states that the micro is less reliable. I do think the addition of another part is an issue but not insurmountable. if it works for you - don't worry too much. Go buy another microSD with an adapter and use the new adapter or order one online (amazon, ebay, best buy etc.)

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSD-Memory-Adapter-MICROSD-ADAPTER/dp/B00...icrosd+adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-MicroSDHC-Adapter-Capacity-Packaged/dp/B00479...icrosd+adapter
09-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The problem as you described is the lock-tab in the SD card adapter which gets loose when it is inserted into the camera card slot; Other than that there are no issues with the micro SD card itself. The quality of the micro-SD card adapters various between brands, some are better than others. Not all SD cards have the same thickness (some are slightly thinner than others), if the adapter you have is a bit thinner (you can tell when it is easily pop-up even with a slight push), you can use scotch tape to secure the lock-tab. Another suggestion is to buy another micro SD (with a different brand, for example, I got one from Silicon Power, the lock-tab is quite stiff to move) and use that adapter for this micro-SD card.
09-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge

Original Poster
I am currently trying the scotch tape remedy but when I put the mini sd + adapter into my sd slot of the computer I had a hard time getting it back out and that scared me,
09-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I am currently trying the scotch tape remedy but when I put the mini sd + adapter into my sd slot of the computer I had a hard time getting it back out and that scared me,
It's likely that the SD adapter you have is one of the thicker types... in this case, I would suggest perhaps a small dab of glue (make sure it is thoroughly dry) instead.

09-13-2016, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

I'd be happy to send one along for you. Any brand preference? Samsung & Lexar adapters sit empty in front of me, but most of mine are generic. I can send the stiffest one to unlock!
I've been using microSD for several months in K50, K-3 and micro43 with no more problems that I ever had with SD.

---------- Post added 09-13-16 at 12:19 ----------

These are MICRO-SD not Mini that I use. I very rarely see the mini anywhere, but my tablet and phone can use/display MicroSD cards so that's why I switched.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 09-13-2016 at 01:19 PM.
09-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge

Original Poster
Pm sent

My eyes are bad, I'm dealing with micro, not mini sd and it's adapter
09-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I'll zap 2 out this afternoon!
09-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yes, you can buy adapters. Though they usually come free with most micro SD cards. You could always buy another micro SD card and use one adapter.

Unless you have to write protect you card I would just glue the tab into the unlocked position. I would avoid Super Glue as many of these glues will continue to out-gas reactive products. Every notice a haze around an area where you've applied super glue after some time. Just imagine that stuff getting on to the electrical contacts. Some Lock-tite or even nail polish carefully applied to the edges of the slide would probably be sufficient.
09-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They're easier to lose and damage. Apart from that, if you're careful you'll be fine

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

There is one substantial advantage to micro cards: assuming you leave the micro card inside its adapter, the card itself is unlikely to be damaged. I've had multiple Sandisk and Kingston sdcards physically fail (due to breakage of the card corners) in ways that render the cards unreadable, at least without extraordinary effort. While the same thing can happen to a micro adapter, it's just an adapter - damage to the adapter won't render the micro card itself unreadable.