Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Advises for sports shootings?

Hello my fellow Pentaxians

I took my K-3 ii coupled with DA* 60-250 for the first time to a soccer match with great expectations very excited. But, unfortunately I wasn't calm and experienced enough to recognize that I should have adjusted settings of the camera to take action shots. In consequences, 99% of some 500 pictures I took from the match were poorly taken. I believe the fact that this soccer match has gone through at night time made the shots more blurry along with my already long time value and narrow aperture. But, if you were in this situation, how would you have set the settings? my seat had a table right in front so I could use that as my support, but now I think a monopod or mini tripod could help significantly as well. If I could get any advise, I'd be thankful.

Just for curious soccer fans, this match was AFC Champions league semi final - east asia division Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors vs Shanghai SIPG and the dude taking the freekick is Hulk transferred to from Zenit to Shanghai for ~$60 million fee. On the bright side, my team Jeonbuk won the match big time 5-0.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by talkskiwon; 09-14-2016 at 08:06 PM.
09-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be in TAV mode, iso limited to 3200, aperture wide open, shutter speed as fast as possible.

Hope that helps!
09-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

I would suggest to work in P (semi-manual mode), Tv or M mode. Importantly you need to control your shutter speed, to be at least 1/60s-1/100s, and faster would better. ISO maximum 3200 as suggested by lmp. No pixel shift. You do not want the AF to hunt: I would recommend to consider working in MF or pre-focus mode + fine AF.

A fast shutter speed in low light would require to use a large aperture. The f4 is the DA^60-250mm might be to small (or too large f value) if the lighting is not good.

My 5 cents... hoping that it would help for a start.
09-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Talkskiwon ... congratulations on the 5-0 result!

Did you realize your pictures are taken at around 1/10s shutter speed? This might be okay for non-human subjects, but when shooting sports I look at 1/500s or faster. You end up sacrificing aperture and ISO to make this possible.

09-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #5

Looking at your EXIF it looks like you were set to ISO 100 for the whole shoot. The first change I'd make is to set the ISO to Auto (ISO button then green button) and let it adjust between 100-3200 (set on the top left of the INFO screen). That would allow the camera to select a shorter shutter speed, freeze the action and eliminate the need for the tripod/monopod. F/4.5 looks like it gave you plenty of depth of field so it was probably a fine place to shoot at. I'd also second the suggestion of P mode, it can automate a lot of the process while still letting you override things if you need to.
09-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Since the lighting is fairly constant, I would try a few test shots in TAv mode to determine the best ISO you can get away with, then switch to M mode with maximum aperture and play with the minimum shutter speed depending on the shots (always check the shutter speed while looking into the viewfinder). And make sure that you shoot RAW, not JPEG, so as not to worry about WB and slightly under-exposed situations.
09-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
Hello my fellow Pentaxians

I took my K-3 ii coupled with DA* 60-250 for the first time to a soccer match with great expectations very excited. But, unfortunately I wasn't calm and experienced enough to recognize that I should have adjusted settings of the camera to take action shots. In consequences, 99% of some 500 pictures I took from the match were poorly taken. I believe the fact that this soccer match has gone through at night time made the shots more blurry along with my already long time value and narrow aperture. But, if you were in this situation, how would you have set the settings? my seat had a table right in front so I could use that as my support, but now I think a monopod or mini tripod could help significantly as well. If I could get any advise, I'd be thankful.

Just for curious soccer fans, this match was AFC Champions league semi final - east asia division Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors vs Shanghai SIPG and the dude taking the freekick is Hulk transferred to from Zenit to Shanghai for ~$60 million fee. On the bright side, my team Jeonbuk won the match big time 5-0.
The basics have already been covered above for the capture settings, you need to step away from managing depth of field (Av) and focus on shutter speed to freeze the action. With a good quality lens like the 60-250 you shouldn't be too concerned about using it wide open or close to that value if you find it a bit soft. The only issue is of course if you have a couple of players involved in the action. Your distance from the pitch helps there so I'd still suggest keeping a wider aperture where you can so you don't rely on the ISO so much.

To balance the exposure triangle the ISO needs to allow you to shoot the faster shutter speeds. As suggested 1/500s is a good start point and you can raise or lower it from their to suit the action or how you want to capture the action. For example, the faster shutter speeds will give you the frozen moment but using slightly slower shutters at the right time can create some great images too if it has sharp detail but some motion blur to convey a sense of speed.

To set up the camera I'd recommend you use back button focus as this will enable you to lock onto the action, track it whilst locked on and fire the shutter at the right moment. Tracking will help with sharp images and improve the sense of the dynamic action of the sport. Select the continuous-high drive mode and ensure you've prioritised the camera for shutter release not focus priority. This will mean the camera will shoot without being correctly focused but that's the point of using back button focus and tracking the action.

As identified already the best exposure mode options are Tv, Manual or TAv. Use the centre spot AF point or the multi-centre to restrict the AF to the centre part of the frame. Keep the action centered in the frame as you track motion. Centre weighted metering mode is right.

A monopod will help but it isn't essential considering the table in front of you as you can rest the camera/lens. It is likely to help and hinder so if you have one take it along and see whether you like to use it or not. I use one but not all the time. To manage the buffer, get used to reading the play and timing your captures to just before a tackle through to after the tackle is complete, or just before a kick through to the ball being at a point from the kicker that still links to the kicker (if that makes sense).

If you're familiar with the game you'll know when to be taking photos and this is the real art of sports photography (IMHO, YMMV etc), it's not just whether you can capture a sharp image, it's whether what you've captured is compelling and tells a story about the sport being played.

All opinion of course as I'm no pro. Don't forget to add some photos into this thread so we can all enjoy your captures.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/275291-sports-p...le-images.html

Tas
09-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all so very much. Just from listening to people with knowledge and experience, I feel like I am learning a lot. One thing I want to clarify is how to do pre-focus mode + fine AF. Next time I go to a sports event...will definitely share some good pictures

09-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
it takes time to do action, so be patient and try things.
09-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I would put it in TAV and set the shutter to 1/500 sec and have the aperture wide open. let the ISO float but set the upper limit to 5000 or what ever you want the limit to be. better to have motion stopped with some grain then to have no grain and a blurry subject

good luck

randy