Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by B3rty Quote
Hi Guys,

I've decide to send the sigma to the dealer since i got 3 years warranty.
i'll tell you if the focus shift problem has been fix or not.
for the one who dont get the problem, i have to say you're the lucky one
Good luck with it and yeah, I do feel lucky, actually

Save

09-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Good luck with it and yeah, I do feel lucky, actually

Save
Let me know how your sigma performing on the wedding. mine got a lot of oof picture.
09-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Let me know how your sigma performing on the wedding. mine got a lot of oof picture.
I'll do! I've been doing more outdoor shots over the past few days and I'm somewhat convinced now, that the differences I see are because of the camera.

The lens nails the shots under sunny light and at any distance, but under a cloudy sky, it back focuses a bit. Because of the large aperture, "a bit" can see like a lot though :P

Still, I'm very optimistic - I'll update after Saturday.
09-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I ended up using the 85mm for all long-focal shots, except during the actual ceremony, where I was not allowed to shoot. I still attached the 70-200 for the extra reach and did few ninja shots from where I was seated. Don't tell the priest!

I did twice as many shots using the body with 85mm on than the other with 18-35mm, which is a new thing. I've for 1+ year been doing mostly wide angle shooting, mainly because the photos on longer focals come out too soft. As for accuracy, speed and and all that, the lens did very well. During the event and even afterwards when checking the photos, I didn't get the impression I had flukes going on or, that the lens isn't focusing precise enough. When I started the day, I got nervous about the shallow DoF so I used f2 for the first few shots, but then got confident after looking at the display few times and used f1.4 for the majority of the rest of the shots. I shot under several different light conditions.

I have many out of focus shots, but that is to be expected with candid kind of shooting. As for the couple shoot, where it's less candid and more controlled, my hit ratio was amazing. I have a whole bunch of couple-walking-away shots and because of the way things usually are, I did tons and tons of these, but I don't have to anymore. Usually these kind of shots are so bad that I think the hit ratio would be the same as if I shot with eyes closed. OK, I'm exaggerating, but seriously, hit ratio tend to be painfully low, and also because of this, it is the only time I check every single photo on the display to see, if I got something useful.

Overall miss ratio in pure numbers, not taking into account the situation I shot under, user errors and all that, was very acceptable and the focusing speed is fine under well enough light but the lens gets a bit nervous under low light - it's still better than what I get from my other lenses. My 50mm is faster, but more often than not, misses the focus by a tiny bit - enough to annoy me. And if the light level gets a bit too dim, the 50mm becomes retarded and acts as if it is first considering if it want to focus at all or not. I didn't shoot under that low light at this wedding though, so I'm not sure how the Sigma will be.

I am super satisfied - we had bright day and under an overcast sky, the lens back focuses according to the tests/random shooting I've done. So I still need to do real-life shooting under such conditions to get to know the lens that bit better.

The couple does not want to have photos of them shown, where they are recognizable (but I got the impression they might change their mind). This one should be OK, but I'll still remove it in few days time. I shot it super quick while we're on our way to the actual location. Nothing planned here except I told the couple to walk ahead (because, as mentioned earlier, I do tons of these shots - it's become a habit to use and create all the opportunities I can). I'm not too happy with the framing but it's a good and suitable example of the lens performing very well. I think my main problem now is going to be CA and shaken pics, but I can live with that for another few years

The 18-35 that was mounted on the other body, had a greater mis ratio and more photo's where I went "damn, I didn't nail that one".

09-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #20

Original Poster
Hi Guys

I have send today my K5 also. Sigma has request it to achieve the calibration. My baby boy has gone away.
guess i have to use the K60 for a while