Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

DA* 300 focus hunting, SDM Failure?

Hi I'm on my second Da* 300 (first one bought in July 2011, second may 2016) the first I sold end of 2015 due to slight focusing issue and feared it might be sdm failing. Now my new copy which is only 4 months old is no longer able to focus at all. All I get is micro adjustments back and fought then long way in slam and then all the way back and slam. My first one did this on occasions but this one started day one out of the box. Am I correct in thinking this is an sdm failure. Thanks for your help.

09-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it- time for a warranty repair!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TheGrandPrixKid Quote
Hi I'm on my second Da* 300 (first one bought in July 2011, second may 2016) the first I sold end of 2015 due to slight focusing issue and feared it might be sdm failing. Now my new copy which is only 4 months old is no longer able to focus at all. All I get is micro adjustments back and fought then long way in slam and then all the way back and slam. My first one did this on occasions but this one started day one out of the box. Am I correct in thinking this is an sdm failure. Thanks for your help.
If this happens only with this lens, it may be the lens. However, your mention that it happened occasionally with your previous copy leads me to suspect it might be an issue with your focus sensor, which I believe is located in the bottom of the camera cavity. Before you go to all the trouble of sending the lens in for warranty repair, you might try giving the camera cavity (particularly the bottom of the cavity) a blast of air or two to see if the problem persists. Also, worth cleaning the contacts on your camera to make sure that is all good. My 2 cents...
Daryl

---------- Post added 09-17-16 at 08:35 PM ----------

Let me add that the typical SDM failure is characterized by no auto focus action by the lens at all. In the pre-sdm failure timeframe, the lens is sometimes slow to "wake up" but does eventually when aimed at a high contrast area and the focus button (or half press of shutter) repeatedly pressed. Bottom line, what you have described does not sound like a typical SDM failure.
09-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheGrandPrixKid Quote
All I get is micro adjustments back and fought then long way in slam and then all the way back and slam. My first one did this on occasions but this one started day one out of the box.
This sounds exactly like my first copy of the DA* 300. After just 100 shots it refused to focus, always did a few microadjustments and then slammed full speed in its mechanical focus limits.
Exchanged it and the second copy works fine since three years and 20000 shots. Although the second copy sometimes fails to focus and microadjusts at difficult targets it never does the slam - thing.

09-18-2016, 03:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
The previous copy was used on my K10, K5 & K3 only had problems towards the end of 2015 before never missed or made the slamming noise until the last two months I had it. The second one has only ever been used on a new K5ii. I'm sure it not the the camera as I've checked with other lenses and cleaned contacts as soon as it started. Thanks for confirming my first thoughts on needing repairing.