Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #1

Retired wedding photographer, needs help with K-50

Hi, I am a retired wedding photographer. I purchased a K1000 in 1979 and that sweet camera helped provided a lot of income while my kids were growing up. I recently bought a Pentax k-50 and it is so much harder to understand things at this age ! I am simply trying to understand how to change the shutter speed. I've looked in the manual a few times and just can't figure it out. Can someone give an old granny instructions on how to do that ? TIA

09-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I suppose you should be quite familiar with manual mode. If you set the camera on M mode, the front wheel will adjust the shutter and the back wheel the aperture, the green line showing being your exposure meter.

In P and Tv mode, the front wheel will set the speed.

Basically, unless you change it in the camera configuration menus, the front wheel is for shutter speed and the back wheel for aperture...
09-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A mode I like is TAv mode, it's kind of the "fast" manual mode. Front wheel handles shutter speed and rear handles aperture. Generally I set the aperture to where I want based on the lens and the image I want, then adjust shutter speed to keep the ISO in a comfortable range.

P mode is semi-automatic, and lets you see what the camera is "thinking" before you start changing parameters.

It's going to take a bit of time to get a handle on how the camera works, and how to use everything. New cameras are incredibly powerful.
09-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer...

firstly - welcome aboard!

second - and this is just a suggestion - you may want to consider buying the ebook for your K-50; it is so much better/detailed/in depth than the manual that came with your camera...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/295303-sal...ore-dslrs.html

09-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Here is a link to the K50 e-book.On the page over to the left there is another link for a sample / preview of the e-book so that you can "try" it before buying it. It is written a bit differently than the manual. A bit more of why you would want to do something, rather than what this button does - although there is a lot of that too. You just can't get away from describing the functions of the controls first.'

The sample has the front part of the book - table of contents, along with chapters 1 and 2, then the end of the book, the appendix.

Hope this helps a bit more. You can put it on your PC's "desktop", so it's always handy.

09-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Or just use it like you did your K1000, in M mode you can change shutter speeds and aperture settings. My K-50 has never been in any other mode.
09-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #7

I've never heard of these particular books, they sound very good, would there be a hard copy available?
09-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No. You could print them from a computer, but there are lots of pages.