Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ahhh. I see you were a 35mm film shooter. That makes sense. Don't worry, it's not you or the camera.

Film has a 'this just works' feel about it. To get the same feeling from digital you need to start using raw (and start doing all of the donkey work the lab would do for you, or yourself in a dark room). The modern equivalent is to set the camera to shoot a raw format (either PEF, or preferably DNG). Load that raw file into Adobe Lightroom or the software that came with the camera (silkypix?), and start tweaking the highlights/shadows/exposure. It will all soon make sense. Without raw, digital photos are dull and uninteresting. With raw, they can exceed film shots.

The only thing you need to be really careful of, is blowing the highlights through over exposure. any film era prime will (mostly) out perform a modern kit lens (the exception being in the <24mm focal range).

09-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post a few pictures with EXIF data.
Your transition to DSLR is just right. I was deeply disappointed in my pictures at the beginning.
Nothing wrong either with your camera, or with you.
09-21-2016, 06:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

"Auto" mode will never give great results. Not in any camera system. The thing I found most helpful was reading the book "Understanding Exposure " by Bryan Peterson. This will give you the knowledge you need to make creative decisions.

Also, you will need to learn a post processing program. I like Lightroom, but there are others. In film days, your developer did all that part for you.
09-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Point-n-shoot digital cameras optimize processing of the data to create a pleasing final image. But in doing so, these cameras sacrifice the ability to manipulate the image further.

Higher-end cameras such as the K-3 optimize processing of the data to create a good starting point for further manipulations. But in doing so, they tend to create flatter looking images.

09-21-2016, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
Since I am shooting with K-3II sometimes I have the same feeling. After a little edit in LR everything looks fine. Imho the jpegs from the K-30 showed somehow better results. Maybe someone can confirm? Just post some pics, we will help you
I had just reached a comfortable level with the K30 where I could expect certain "outcomes" depending on my settings and the scene. Then I upgraded to the K3 II, within a month I was so frustrated, I was ready to chuck it!!!! There are some differences, I don't know how to explain it, but after about 3 months, I'm back up to speed. While it's true a lot of magic can happen post processing, I believe that you should strive to create the image in camera, post processing should be the final cleanup, not the beginning.
09-21-2016, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

If I would start all over the switch from point and shoot do dslr, I would ignore all the books except two of them:
The Beginner's Photography Guide and the camera manual.
That's all. Nothing else until getting the clear understanding how it works.

I wish I would know that at the beginning to avoid the mess.
https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Photography-Guide-Chris-Gatcum/dp/1465408452
09-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Sample pictures will help us give advice. It could be camera settings, composition, tricky subjects, or many other things.

I'll post a counterpoint to those advising you to shoot in raw (DNG) and postprocess. That's the way I do it because I do a lot of low light photography, but plenty of people here get good results from JPG. Again, sample photos will help us provide advice.

09-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #23

Automatic setting on my K-S1 fives decent results, my K-3 II on the green gives... well.. pretty much useless piles of pixels. On the first few shootings with my K-3 II I was also a bit confused, but in time I learned how to use it, it's fine now.
09-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
If you're shooting jpegs, there's a good chance raw (and the post processing that implies) will turn your photos into something awesome sauce.
I shoot nothing but JPEGS!
09-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really think photos are in order. The problem is that otherwise people are only guessing at what your struggles are and how to fix them. I own a K3 and have been pretty satisfied with the results I get from it -- the K-1 is better, but in good light situations, they both are pretty good.
09-21-2016, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Share some examples and we can definitely help.

The discussion thus far reminds me of this great movie clip:

Starsky:
It was my mother she always used to say it was too much car for me to handle. I couldn't handle the V8.
09-21-2016, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at some threads posted by OP and am beginning to suspect this whole thread is meant as satire. OP's photos are decent, and the "its digital, I shouldn't have to think, right?" sentence can be understood as a joke. Dunno, but unless OP posts some evidence of garbage photos, I don't think we can add anything .p
09-21-2016, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
some sample photos
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
whole thread is meant as satire
No I'm serious

---------- Post added 09-21-16 at 11:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
a post processing program
I buy a subscription Ps , Lr, Br etc etc but it hasn't been helpful.

---------- Post added 09-21-16 at 11:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
"its digital, I shouldn't have to think, right?"
Yes that part was a joke
09-21-2016, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter

We are always our worst critic. That being said I'd probably change the aperture to a much lower one (in number, like maybe f/5.6-8 on the duck) on some of your pics increase the shutter speed, and of course set the ISO as low as I could. On the K3 use TAv mode, limit the ISO to 100-1600 or 3200, and then play with aperture and shutter speed.