Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
yes NJ is crappy!
Not my part of Jersey!

If you're not happy with your photos, take a class. You don't buy a guitar and hope to be good at it right away. Takes practice and lessons. Same with a camera.

09-21-2016, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Not my part of Jersey!
Well, if someone does not like NJ, welcome to flat boring Florida!
09-21-2016, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Hard to articulate except to say It's just an aesthetic type of thing, a certain feeling I get when I see an interesting photo. I would like to be able to take a pic of a hole in the wall and make it look interesting, or a door or a cat or whatever. How to manipulate light in order to create something interesting in a photo? pic #1 could be more detail. pic #2 it's just a duck #3 out of focus/not sharp just doesn't "pop", uninteresting. #4 Is just a photo
well, you are exposing properly and composing reasonably. I would say the rest is a function of you practicing to get accustomed to your camera technically. Better pictures come with practice. That wise man once said, "Your first 10,000 images are your worst." - Henri Cartier-Bresson
09-21-2016, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at your photos, I would say the biggest negative is that they tend to be taken at times other than the golden hour. Early mornings and early evenings have a tendency to produce less harsh light. The yellow flower looks like it has a flat appearance and could probably use a little bump in contrast, at least. The statue image has pretty dark shadows as well and could be bumped up quite a bit.

It does feel like you're getting some under exposure with your images, which is OK as long as you go in a bump up shadows in post.

As far as subject and composition, that, of course, has little to do with the camera and shooting using classic rules and just a lot of practice would be the best advice I could give. If I could recommend a single book, it would be Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye -- it's a book that doesn't dwell on settings so much as it does on the vision of the image.

09-21-2016, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #50
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

if you want to get better, you have to practice your craft - every day (yeah, I mean every day) - figure out what you don't like about your shots and focus/fix those issues...

join one of the Singles challenges; they shoot, post, critique shots every day...... I've been at the Single In challenge since September 2015 and have noticed that my shots have steadily improved (some days, not so much) over the course of the last year....
09-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This one from you seems fantastic to me. I dunno. Post more "crappy ones" and get some more suggestions?

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 09-21-2016 at 11:55 AM.
09-21-2016, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

I think @micromacro did a great job improving images #3 and 4. Those were the most interesting photos of the set.

Images #1 and 2 are, IMO, not worth processing due to the composition and subject matter. They are okay as documentary photos if you need something for a wiki article on "flower" and "duck", but there's nothing especially interesting in those photos. They would benefit from a different composition that introduces more interest to the photo: an unusual background, a secondary subject, or sense of action

(Emphasis on "IMO" because it's subjective. Everyone doesn't like the same type of photos and that's okay.)

09-21-2016, 01:09 PM - 3 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I think @micromacro did a great job improving images #3 and 4. Those were the most interesting photos of the set.

Images #1 and 2 are, IMO, not worth processing due to the composition and subject matter. They are okay as documentary photos if you need something for a wiki article on "flower" and "duck", but there's nothing especially interesting in those photos. They would benefit from a different composition that introduces more interest to the photo: an unusual background, a secondary subject, or sense of action

(Emphasis on "IMO" because it's subjective. Everyone doesn't like the same type of photos and that's okay.)
I can get behind this...

Composition and subject matter are everything. Sharpness, color, and other aspects of quality do not matter as much after that. But in the spirit of the OP, I think the frustrations are more specifically with the Quality aspects of the photos. That is why there is so much speak about technique and editing.

I look forward to seeing how the photos come out after all this support. I hope we see an update.
09-21-2016, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I look forward to seeing how the photos come out after all this support. I hope we see an update.
That's why I love this forum!
09-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #55
Veteran Member

i actually really would like the last shot if the sky were not blown out on the bottom right. A flash would sort of ruin the effect the lantern has on the face.
But yeah, that one especially is far from crappy imo.
09-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
This one from you seems fantastic to me.
wiki article material or maybe in some catalog. Oversaturated. Would've been better maybe as a backdrop for something.

---------- Post added 09-21-16 at 18:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Not my part of Jersey!
Haha, We have a love/hate relationship.

---------- Post added 09-21-16 at 18:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Didn't you have a K10D
Yes it was love at first sight but then I saw the K3II.
09-21-2016, 04:09 PM - 4 Likes   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are just too plain , nothing exciting, not interesting.
Now that I see your shots, there are both aesthetic composition, attention to lighting, and other art elements and principles that would help.

a) Look up and use the "Rule of Thirds" with your focal point or subject facing toward the center of the frame, not the edges.
b) Use more negative space. Often the space where your subject isn't helps to define and contextualize the subject itself.
c) Try to shoot when the light and shadows are dramatic.
d) Look for interesting textures, reflections, and if color does not add anything to the shot, render it in black and white.
e) Seek out irony, contrast, conflict, opposites in the same frame. Something ugly on something beautiful. Something old and rusty with something young and immaculate. Harmony between the foreground and background is nice (boring) but is transformative when opposites in the same frame.
f) Try to find "the decisive moment" (Cartier-Bresson). That split second between the past and future in which the present is extraordinary.
g) Shoot unique or different angles.
h) And when all else fails, TRAVEL to a place where you cannot speak the language. Your eyes will explode with curiosity as you discover new cultures, environments, and sights.
09-21-2016, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to articulate except to say It's just an aesthetic type of thing, a certain feeling I get when I see an interesting photo.
You're pretty hard on yourself, Donlass. They're serviceable snapshots.

If you want to add art principles to them (turning them into studies of light direction, texture contrast, juxtaposition, an animal displaying behaviour instead of just sitting there), go ahead.

You can start by collecting photos you really like - put 'em in Dropbox or Pinterest or whatever- and lovingly emulate them.

Last edited by clackers; 09-21-2016 at 04:25 PM.
09-21-2016, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Just keep shooting, you will get better! Even though there are some that are born with the knowledge to take great pictures, practice makes perfect! I am by no means a good photographer but the first thing I had to learn is, unless you take photos for a living, there is only one person you have to please, "Your self"! You are doing great donlass!
09-21-2016, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Originally posted by jpzk Didn't you have a K10D Yes it was love at first sight but then I saw the K3II.
Then perhaps I was mistaken thinking that you did use a K10D.
BTW, some of your shots are not as bad as you may think.
From what I am seeing, and with what was done in PP on them by some members here, you're doing pretty good.
It is only going to improve within a short period of time.
Cheers!