Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Then perhaps I was mistaken
No you are correct I did buy one but only recently not like back when it first came out but I never used it.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 00:18 ----------

Thanks everyone!

09-21-2016, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

This tutorial on the basics of exposure is a quick read that does a good job of concisely explaining the complex relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Mastering that, which is something I'm still working on myself, will help you get more out of your camera. Beyond the technical stuff, a lot of it is really just sort of a 'Zen' thing, becoming one with your camera and seeing the image you want in your mind's eye before you click the shutter. I know that sounds pretty hokey, but the more you shoot, the more it becomes a part of how you see the world. I lost that for several years when I stopped shooting regularly for 10 or 15 years when film was dying and I wasn't ready to make the jump to digital. Picking up my first Pentax DSLR helped bring it all back.
09-21-2016, 11:28 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So in the meantime after the great advice here I went and found a pic from the other day that I like. It was out of focus and useless I thought but ran it through Lr and I think its a keeper? Any thoughts?. Sorry I don't know how to make the files smaller.

Dante the Giant Belgian Horse
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-22-2016, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Now you're talking, Donlass!

A staple of architectural photography, the fragment.

Now you've got a concept you're happy with, your next two pics can be:

1. Going back to Dante and get the keeper by nailing the focus. Bonus points if you can get a catch light in the right eye either with a lit area in that direction or an off-camera flash.

2. Do the same thing with a person.

Last edited by clackers; 09-22-2016 at 01:22 AM.
09-22-2016, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
So in the meantime after the great advice here I went and found a pic from the other day that I like. It was out of focus and useless I thought but ran it through Lr and I think its a keeper? Any thoughts?. Sorry I don't know how to make the files smaller.

Dante the Giant Belgian Horse
I like it.

I think the most important thing is to look for light. I used to think good photographers were just good at photoshopping (which most of them are), but the reality is that if you look at a scene that is poorly lit and has low contrast, you are going to have to get creative to get good images out of it.

From a post processing standpoint, I think Nik Effects from Google is a nice add on to Lightroom and it is free -- definitely worth down loading and playing around with.

In addition, look carefully at your deleted images and figure out what went wrong and what you could do better next time. It will get better and it is an awful lot of fun learning.

Edit: The biggest thing that I think gives digital an advantage over film when it comes to improving photos is the fact that you have an EXIF. I could never remember what lens I had used when shooting film, but with digital you can see all of your settings and realize what things didn't work out.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-22-2016 at 06:18 AM.
09-22-2016, 03:06 AM   #66
Pentaxian

You are using a macro lens for non macro shots and at high apertures. Macro lenses are too sharp for portraiture (even when it is a horse) and have boring rendering (in my opinion). Play with your depth of field. You can change aperture in p-mode with the back control wheel.
09-22-2016, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #67

One thing that helped me on the K3 II, was to go into the menu and turn off all the camera extras that influence the image like highlight and shadow correction. Then to take practice shots with each one turned on, so I could actually determine what each did. Like any tool, extra features are useless unless you know how, when, and where to use them

09-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #68
Veteran Member

As far as the advice to practice goes, I agree 110%.

As a personal example, I have somewhere around 2500 photos on my flickr stream, taken with various cameras since around 2008 or so. I tend to (usually) only post my best shots there, but ave cheated on occasion meaning probably 200 to 300 of those shots don't count.

Thats an average of about 300 per year, or a maybe one shot a week, maybe less.

Last time I checked, I cracked the 100,000 *known* impression mark in that same time period sometime last year if my math is correct. That means, I have somewhere north of 100,000 shots taken with Pentax cameras, prior to that I used a few point and shoots of various ilk and probably came close to the same total with those.

TLDR; I have about a 2% 'keeper' rate of shots I personal wowed myself with, the other 98% are either crap or just meh to me. I'm sure my *actual* keeper rate would be a lot higher if someone else were to go in and look at my stuff over the years, because I've been surprised at times when a shot I thought was so-so wound up getting raved over by people.
09-22-2016, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #69

Your pictures are garbage...mine are crap...

no really...and this proves bears really do...

But here are a couple of big concept items.

1. and I noticed another poster commented on flat Florida and you commented on crappy Jersey and I think to myself Connecticut is boring but we have to figure out interesting things to photograph. You have the Jersey shore...cityscapes...street...etc. also take a look at what is a couple hour drive.

2. You dont take a picture...you make a picture...some famous photographer said that and I am starting to get it...you find a subject you find interesting and then work it for the right lighting...best angle,,,elements in the composition...think out your photo.
Attached Images

09-22-2016, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #70
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
boring, flat, uninteresting..... good thing nobody lives out on the Midwest's prairies where there's nothing to shoot, day in/day out.....

(:
09-22-2016, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You are using a macro lens for non macro shots and at high apertures. Macro lenses are too sharp for portraiture (even when it is a horse) and have boring rendering (in my opinion). Play with your depth of field. You can change aperture in p-mode with the back control wheel.
I've really tried to break my thinking that my photography would be fixed with a different lens. So, while your statement has merit, what if he ran the D-FA 100WR out to f2.8 for shots like that? Should be a little more soft (okay, very slightly less like a razor) and would provide a bit of depth of field effect.

it would also allow for a minimal ISO setting. Thoughts?
09-22-2016, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I've really tried to break my thinking that my photography would be fixed with a different lens. So, while your statement has merit, what if he ran the D-FA 100WR out to f2.8 for shots like that? Should be a little more soft (okay, very slightly less like a razor) and would provide a bit of depth of field effect.

it would also allow for a minimal ISO setting. Thoughts?
I think finding the ideal lens in the horse example is splitting hairs (on the horse). +1 Clackers that an eye light (white reflection in the horse's eye from flash, white card, etc,) would be a nice touch and I'd also suggest a vertical orientation for a vertical object like a horse's head.
09-22-2016, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #73

Sorry I don't know how to make the files smaller.
Download and install Fast Stone Image Viewer. It's free, really fast on any hardware even on my obsolete laptop from 2005. Follow the instructions as described:
09-22-2016, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Pentaxian

Regarding "boring" NJ. NJ is a small enough state to get just about anywhere with a day trip (assuming you can drive). Cape May has a lighthouse, ferries, remnants of WW2 defense structures, a shipwreck. Wildwood looks like it's stuck in a time warp of 1950s hotels. Atlantic City. Newark's Branch Brook Park is great during cherry blossom season. Central NJ has a large hot air balloon festival. Bayonne to Fort Led has many good spots for sunrise/sunset photos of NYC skyline and bridges. Palisades cliffs as you head north. If you run out of places in NJ, take a trip to neighboring Philly or NYC.
09-22-2016, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wiki article material or maybe in some catalog. Oversaturated. Would've been better maybe as a backdrop for something.
Yes, it seems oversaturated, but that's "a look" and for pop art, it is a popular look.
If you like, you could turn down the saturation a bit in LR or PS or something else.
But, honestly, it's got great colors and graphics. I'd hang it on the wall if it were mine.

(everyone has different standards - maybe I'm too low-brow? - I think it is cool. Wish I'd taken it. Don't be too hard on yourself.)