Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 02:37 AM   #1

Photos dark and flashing bright green in playback mode

HELP! I am hoping I have inadvertently reset something on my K50 and this is not something madly expensive I need to get professionally fixed. No matter what shooting mode I use all my photos are coming out really black. When I look at them in playback mode they are flashing a bright lime green. I have checked EV compensation (set to 0) and metering (set to multi). I don't know what else to look at

09-21-2016, 03:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tish99,

In playback mode the flashing bright lime green is showing you the areas that are TOTALLY Black - No detail at all. This indicates that your images are under exposed. You can toggle this setting on and off in the Menu. It is usually called Bright/Dark area and is in the Playback menu.

Under exposed images are usually the result of using a small aperture (read larger aperture number), fast shutter speed, or low sensitivity. Or you have left your lens cap on!!!

Try going to program mode and taking a photo. What are the shutter speed, aperture and sensitivity values for the photo?

You could also do a camera reset. You'll find this at the bottom of the third setup menu panel from the menu system.

Let us know what happens.

Regards

Chris
09-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check for sticky aperture blade or auto aperture not engaged on lens.
Joe
09-21-2016, 03:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Go to the playback menu (second tab) and untick bright/dark area.

09-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #5
Forum Member

When you look through the viewfinder, do you see everything black, too?
09-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tish99 Quote
HELP! I am hoping I have inadvertently reset something on my K50 and this is not something madly expensive I need to get professionally fixed. No matter what shooting mode I use all my photos are coming out really black. When I look at them in playback mode they are flashing a bright lime green. I have checked EV compensation (set to 0) and metering (set to multi). I don't know what else to look at
The one of reasons your pictures are underexposed is aperture block failure that is common problem in pentax k-30 and k-50. Use the lense with aperture ring. Set the aperture manually to f4 or similar and try to shoot in Av mode. If the picture is normally exposed, you have aperture block failure in camera.
Before that check if the lens is properly mounted.
09-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
The one of reasons your pictures are underexposed is aperture block failure that is common problem in pentax k-30 and k-50. Use the lense with aperture ring. Set the aperture manually to f4 or similar and try to shoot in Av mode. If the picture is normally exposed, you have aperture block failure in camera.
Before that check if the lens is properly mounted.
As far as I can tell both my lenses are properly mounted and I am having the same problems with both. I have tried using AV and F4.5. If I take a picture of the bright sunlit window I can see this in playback. Anything else is now completely black since I did the camera reset, so no more bright lime green areas.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
When you look through the viewfinder, do you see everything black, too?
No - everything looks fine through the viewfinder. It is the playback of photos and downloading them where they are all pretty much black

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
check for sticky aperture blade or auto aperture not engaged on lens.
Joe
How would I do this?

09-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tish99 Quote
As far as I can tell both my lenses are properly mounted and I am having the same problems with both. I have tried using AV and F4.5. If I take a picture of the bright sunlit window I can see this in playback. Anything else is now completely black since I did the camera reset, so no more bright lime green areas.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 08:57 AM ----------

No - everything looks fine through the viewfinder. It is the playback of photos and downloading them where they are all pretty much black

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 08:58 AM ----------

How would I do this?

To check for the sticky aperture unmount the lens and move the aperture lever on it with your finger. Tre aperture should open and close rapidly.
To check for the aperture block failure you should use the lens that allow you to set aperture manually on the lens, not in camera using dial. If you will set e.g. f4, tre aperture will stop closing at this value. So you should get notmally exposed picture.
10-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
Resolution

Hi Folks. Thanks everyone who posted replies to this thread re my black and flashy (not in a good way!) K50. I eventually unearthed the paperwork and found it was still in guarantee by just 2 weeks. So off it went for repair. This is what the repair note says "Replace mechanical assembly, repair shutter and mirror mechanism" That sounds pretty serious to me! And I wondered if this is what is called aperture block? Any comments gratefully received