Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 21
Photos dark and flashing bright green in playback mode

HELP! I am hoping I have inadvertently reset something on my K50 and this is not something madly expensive I need to get professionally fixed. No matter what shooting mode I use all my photos are coming out really black. When I look at them in playback mode they are flashing a bright lime green. I have checked EV compensation (set to 0) and metering (set to multi). I don't know what else to look at

09-21-2016, 03:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 433
Tish99,

In playback mode the flashing bright lime green is showing you the areas that are TOTALLY Black - No detail at all. This indicates that your images are under exposed. You can toggle this setting on and off in the Menu. It is usually called Bright/Dark area and is in the Playback menu.

Under exposed images are usually the result of using a small aperture (read larger aperture number), fast shutter speed, or low sensitivity. Or you have left your lens cap on!!!

Try going to program mode and taking a photo. What are the shutter speed, aperture and sensitivity values for the photo?

You could also do a camera reset. You'll find this at the bottom of the third setup menu panel from the menu system.

Let us know what happens.

Regards

Chris
09-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: sunny florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 103
check for sticky aperture blade or auto aperture not engaged on lens.
Joe
09-21-2016, 03:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,621
Go to the playback menu (second tab) and untick bright/dark area.

09-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
When you look through the viewfinder, do you see everything black, too?
09-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 189
QuoteOriginally posted by Tish99 Quote
HELP! I am hoping I have inadvertently reset something on my K50 and this is not something madly expensive I need to get professionally fixed. No matter what shooting mode I use all my photos are coming out really black. When I look at them in playback mode they are flashing a bright lime green. I have checked EV compensation (set to 0) and metering (set to multi). I don't know what else to look at
The one of reasons your pictures are underexposed is aperture block failure that is common problem in pentax k-30 and k-50. Use the lense with aperture ring. Set the aperture manually to f4 or similar and try to shoot in Av mode. If the picture is normally exposed, you have aperture block failure in camera.
Before that check if the lens is properly mounted.
09-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 21
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
The one of reasons your pictures are underexposed is aperture block failure that is common problem in pentax k-30 and k-50. Use the lense with aperture ring. Set the aperture manually to f4 or similar and try to shoot in Av mode. If the picture is normally exposed, you have aperture block failure in camera.
Before that check if the lens is properly mounted.
As far as I can tell both my lenses are properly mounted and I am having the same problems with both. I have tried using AV and F4.5. If I take a picture of the bright sunlit window I can see this in playback. Anything else is now completely black since I did the camera reset, so no more bright lime green areas.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
When you look through the viewfinder, do you see everything black, too?
No - everything looks fine through the viewfinder. It is the playback of photos and downloading them where they are all pretty much black

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
check for sticky aperture blade or auto aperture not engaged on lens.
Joe
How would I do this?
09-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 189
QuoteOriginally posted by Tish99 Quote
As far as I can tell both my lenses are properly mounted and I am having the same problems with both. I have tried using AV and F4.5. If I take a picture of the bright sunlit window I can see this in playback. Anything else is now completely black since I did the camera reset, so no more bright lime green areas.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 08:57 AM ----------



No - everything looks fine through the viewfinder. It is the playback of photos and downloading them where they are all pretty much black

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 08:58 AM ----------



How would I do this?

To check for the sticky aperture unmount the lens and move the aperture lever on it with your finger. Tre aperture should open and close rapidly.
To check for the aperture block failure you should use the lens that allow you to set aperture manually on the lens, not in camera using dial. If you will set e.g. f4, tre aperture will stop closing at this value. So you should get notmally exposed picture.

10-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 21
Original Poster
Resolution

Hi Folks. Thanks everyone who posted replies to this thread re my black and flashy (not in a good way!) K50. I eventually unearthed the paperwork and found it was still in guarantee by just 2 weeks. So off it went for repair. This is what the repair note says "Replace mechanical assembly, repair shutter and mirror mechanism" That sounds pretty serious to me! And I wondered if this is what is called aperture block? Any comments gratefully received
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, aperture block failure, av, block, camera, check, failure, mode, pentax help, pentax k-30, photography, photos, playback, post, troubleshooting, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"One press solution" for histogram in playback mode? ukhozi Pentax K-1 6 07-02-2016 09:17 AM
Flashing red and green images Susan attwood Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 02-19-2016 01:59 AM
KS-2 Photos, in dark and rain toms957 Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 2 04-20-2015 07:08 AM
While shooting in manual mode with the EV meter all my photos are slightly too dark. Newtophotos Photographic Technique 8 10-16-2013 09:47 PM
Very bright in rather dark gawan Post Your Photos! 3 01-21-2008 06:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top