Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the dark border on the petal on the right?

D70 body with AF70~210mm 1:4~5.6 non D lens. 1/30s, f/4.8, ISO 200, no flash, Focal Length 145mm and used CWA Metering.

I would like to know the cause of the black or dark border on the petal to the right. I have never seen this type of artifact and will appreciate the assistance.

Many thanks,

Tony

I have also spotted a dark border on the petal to the left on the same flower. I wonder if it is some sort of CA caused by a contrasty background.

Cheers.

Read more: What is the cause of the black border of the petal on the far right? - Technical Troubleshooting - NikonForums.com

09-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you have the full size original anywhere (or even better the RAW original full size?) I'm thinking some form of dramatic posterisation caused by sharpening a cropped edge together. Normally I see this when flash is used - flash ghosting - but no mixed light here so it's a bit of a mystery (interesting)
09-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect it's sharpening artifact.
This can happen when you sharpen a full size image and then reduce its size.
Try processing the image exactly as you did except for the sharpening step then reduce it to its current size and see if the artifact is still there.
09-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ that. +1. My thought too

09-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with all above. In Photoshop this could be from too much Unsharp Mask, or more likely from a High Pass filter that is overlay on the previous layer. Bottom line is too much sharpening in post processing.
09-27-2016, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting that the flower on top has the beginning of a black or dark border on the petal to the right also. However, it does not appear to have been in the sharpening field. The original has the artifact as I had saved it that way numerous times. Strange how I did not notice it at first. Oh well. lesson learned. Listen, I genuinely appreciate all the helpful comments. Another issue to baby sit in my digital photography.

Many thanks,

Antonio
09-27-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Antonio. It looks very much like an artefact of the in-camera JPEG processing engine. Could be a combination of aberration (or aberration correction) and sharpening that's exacerbating the problem.

You might want to read the following old thread of mine. I was experiencing similar problems, and was never able to fully avoid this type of artefact in some JPEG shots using older lenses, regardless of settings. It's one of several things that pushed me towards shooting in RAW and developing my JPEGs in post-processing software. Pentax in-camera JPEG processing isn't the best, I'm afraid.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/291975-dark-edge-outline-photos.html

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-27-2016 at 03:25 PM.
09-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Antonio. It looks very much like an artefact of the in-camera JPEG processing engine. Could be a combination of aberration (or aberration correction) and sharpening that's exacerbating the problem.

You might want to read the following old thread of mine. I was experiencing similar problems, and was never able to fully avoid this type of artefact in some JPEG shots using older lenses, regardless of settings. It's one of several things that pushed me towards shooting in RAW and developing my JPEGs in post-processing software. Pentax in-camera JPEG processing isn't the best, I'm afraid.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/291975-dark-edge-outline-photos.html
I did delete the original upload because of all the issues it had. I found an original in Photo Editor 10 that did not have any problems except what appeared to be a little discoloring on the petals, which may be the result of aging. However, to be sure I did increase blur by two clicks, and even though it suffered minimal damage to sharpness, it appears to have survived very well. Please see my new upload. Well, many thanks to all who so generously gave of their time and knowledge.

Rgds,

Antonio

Last edited by Tonytee; 09-27-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Additional Information
09-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think JPG compression artifact or over-sharpening. Click on the image in the link and look at the background leaves. I see a lot of pixellation in the background color transitions, too.
09-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster

This was taken with my Nikon equipment. I normally get very good results with the AFNikkor 70~210mm non D lens. I do not know what happened here. Anyway it has been deleted and replaced with the second copy. Speaking for myself only, I normally take two photos of a subject I really like, just in case something like this happens.

Many thanks,

Tony
09-28-2016, 12:01 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
This was taken with my Nikon equipment. I normally get very good results with the AFNikkor 70~210mm non D lens. I do not know what happened here
Interesting. Well, as you've seen from the thread link I provided, I got a very similar result shooting JPEG with older lenses on my Pentax bodies. I still believe the issue is a combination of aberration (and/or aberration correction) and sharpening in the JPEG engine - and shooting RAW is the best way to avoid this, as you have complete control over the processing (just as if you were using your own darkroom with film).
09-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting. Well, as you've seen from the thread link I provided, I got a very similar result shooting JPEG with older lenses on my Pentax bodies. I still believe the issue is a combination of aberration (and/or aberration correction) and sharpening in the JPEG engine - and shooting RAW is the best way to avoid this, as you have complete control over the processing (just as if you were using your own darkroom with film).
I just had a thought. Looking at the new photo uploaded, I do see some faint brown color where the dark border was. I wonder if that is the nature of the flower when it is leaving this earth, and the taking of the photo in the first shot created a real monster by darkening it further. I shoot mainly flowers, so I have never seen black or dark bordering like this before. Tomorrow I will return to my neighbor's garden and take the same shots again with the same equipment and see what happens. We are to have a very sunny day so it will be interesting. I will keep you posted.

Gratefully,

Tony