Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2016, 04:02 AM   #1

Pentax K3ii with SMC A* 300-4.5 Lens - Out of focus

Hello Friends,

Just received the SMC F* 300 F4.5F ED IF Lens. My first experience with Primes.
Lens looks clean.

- Set the Aperture Ring on Lens to A
- Mount the Lens on Pentax K3ii
- Set the Camera in Av mode. Pentax K3 is allowing me to set the aperture. Currently i have set it to 4.5.
- Focus-setting on camera body is AUTO

- I have tried taking multiple photos at night here, All are out of focus. I can see that lens is hunting for the focus all the time and Never able to get any clear focus.
- I have also tried Manual Focus option, again i can't see any objects clearly through OVF. Image remains out of focus all the time.

= Am i missing something? OR you believe Lens itself is faulty?
= Anyone/shop in Melbourne who can check the Lens and advise if it requires repairing or somekind of settings in camera body?

Pls help.

Thanks
Pratik

Last edited by amazing_universe; 09-28-2016 at 04:14 AM.
09-28-2016, 04:43 AM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Pratik. I think before you worry about your lens needing repair, you try it out in daylight on a tripod to check whether you can get focus or not. A 300mm f4.5 lens will have a lot of trouble trying to focus at night.
09-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Pratik. I think before you worry about your lens needing repair, you try it out in daylight on a tripod to check whether you can get focus or not. A 300mm f4.5 lens will have a lot of trouble trying to focus at night.
Same thoughts here. You may still have a problem, but more light will be needed to verify this.
09-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
Morning here and again run the tests, same story again.

Lens is keep hunting for the focus all the time.

Meter on the lens moving Bern 0-infinity all the time. I am suspecting related lens element is not moving at all. Same story for MF too, outer ring rotates but suspecting related lens element is not moving at all.

09-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say it isn't working then. Time to return as not working.
09-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanking you for response. In process of return and refund.
In worse case scenario, does anyone know where to repair this in Melbourne?

Thanks
09-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

C.R.Kennedy should be able to help you Pratik. Good luck.
09-29-2016, 01:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I assume you've pulled the auto/manual focus collar back and forwards a couple of times etc....... leaving it so you could see the word "Autofocus" on the lens

09-29-2016, 03:25 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I assume you've pulled the auto/manual focus collar back and forwards a couple of times etc....... leaving it so you could see the word "Autofocus" on the lens
Yep - that's what I thought when I just read the post....

...worth re-checking
09-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Title says A* but content of posts says autofocus. ??? What is the lens? I assume FA*?

Since the op mentions attempting manual focus I assume that the operation of the focus collar is understood. It isn't a quick shift lens so manual focus requires switching from the autofocus setting.
09-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Title says A* but content of posts says autofocus. ??? What is the lens? I assume FA*?

Since the op mentions attempting manual focus I assume that the operation of the focus collar is understood. It isn't a quick shift lens so manual focus requires switching from the autofocus setting.
Its a F*300/4.5.... it has a push pull colar on lens for auto or manual setting... not all that obvious and has fooled new owners before..... cant find the thread though.
09-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Its a F*300/4.5.... it has a push pull colar on lens for auto or manual setting... not all that obvious and has fooled new owners before..... cant find the thread though.
I have the FA* which also has that system. I'm aware that this exists. However the title of this thread says, SMC A*...
09-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have the FA* which also has that system. I'm aware that this exists. However the title of this thread says, SMC A*...
I moved on from the A* when it was about auto focus..... and second line said "just received the SMC F* 300 F4.5F ED IF Lens"
09-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I moved on from the A* when it was about auto focus..... and second line said "just received the SMC F* 300 F4.5F ED IF Lens"

DOH! I missed that. I wondered what was leading you there. Thanks! I have the FA* which has the same push pull collar. However even if that was in MF mode, manual focus should work - which he says it isn't. I assume the lens collar is pushed to the right mode for one or the other if not both.
09-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I assume the lens collar is pushed to the right mode for one or the other if not both.
I know what you mean.... but hard to tell with some people (no offence meant to op ) .... also .... an older thread I read here a year or so ago regarding this lens.... highlighted how the obvious can be overlooked'n add confusion.... so since he didn't mention the collar setting then it's worth pointing out.....would not surprise me if someone once rotated the screw out hood thinking they were trying to manually focus the lens...

---------- Post added 30-09-16 at 12:10 PM ----------

Ok.... I can get a working F*300/4.5 to do what the op said...... this sounds silly but:

Scenario 1.....Starting point.... "camera in Auto focus.... lens in autofocus mode"...... aim lens at too close an object.... and it won't focus.....hunts...... then manual focus screwing the lens hood...... this sounds silly but....