Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

Upgrade Path

Just wondering if I could get assistance in the next path to upgrade.

My current setup is

- Pentax K-r
- SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8
- SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4
- Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD

Not sure if I should upgrade to at K-3 or I'm looking at the Sigma 30mm Art lens. I'm just wondering which would give me a better bang for buck.

The type of photos I'm looking at taking are lower light photos and a good mix of landscape shots, while something that will be versatile with closer shots.

Last edited by onggie; 09-30-2016 at 05:34 PM.
09-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onggie Quote
Upgrade Path
Hi onggie. For me, I would suggest getting the K-3. It is a great camera body. The lenses you have now will compliment it very well. The Sigma 30mm 1.4 ART gets very mixed reviews. It is sharp in the center from all accounts, but quite soft in the corners. The 24 " megapixies " on the K-3 will let you crop your images if you need to also. Good luck with whichever you choose mate.
09-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi onggie. For me, I would suggest getting the K-3. It is a great camera body. The lenses you have now will compliment it very well. The Sigma 30mm 1.4 ART gets very mixed reviews. It is sharp in the center from all accounts, but quite soft in the corners. The 24 " megapixies " on the K-3 will let you crop your images if you need to also. Good luck with whichever you choose mate.
Cheers mate, I'm leaning towards the new body. I think I might take the plunge.

09-29-2016, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

I don't think that you will regret it. You have probably already seen this link, but just in case you have not, it shows off the K-3 very well. Enjoy the " new " camera, and congratulations and good luck with the new bub !!!

Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

09-29-2016, 12:28 AM   #5

I have also K-r (+ collection of K-mount lenses + K200D + flashes +...). My next step will be K-3 II.

But about Sigma 30 art lens. I don't know why this lens - you have almost all what you need (right now) from 28 to 75. If you were asked flashes or wide, or tele lenses (or special macro lens) vs K-3, then i don't know, what to say. It depends... But if the question is K-3 or Sigma 30 art, then surely K-3.
09-29-2016, 04:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You have entirely lenses intended to be wide to normal on full frame. A new camera won't change that. I would really wish for at least one zoom of the 16, 17,18mm to xx variety. Or even wider... or the 15 limited. Of course, a new camera can be a chance to get a nice lens bundled and 'save' a small amount on their separate price.
09-29-2016, 05:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely leaning to the K-3 as opposed to the Sigma 30mm. You already have good glass and have most of the range covered with the exception of Wide Angle for landscapes.
Good luck!

09-29-2016, 06:30 AM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Going from a 12MP sensor with AA filter to a 24MP sensor without AA filter should add a ton of resolution to your images (and also file size haha).

Plus about double the burst rate, a much more rugged body, with weather sealing, support for a battery grip (double the power), 2 SD card slots (so double the room), much improved AF system, quieter shutter, quicker screwdrive. No brainer, go with the K-3/K-3II upgrade first most.

Also maybe consider a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for those wider, landscape shots and double as a walkaround lens.
09-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The type of photos I'm looking at taking are lower light photos
The usable ISO range of the K-3 will be a tremendous asset for low light photography. Low light AF should also be better than K-r.
09-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
The usable ISO range of the K-3 will be a tremendous asset for low light photography. Low light AF should also be better than K-r.
The ISO range is probably the biggest for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aksel Quote
I have also K-r (+ collection of K-mount lenses + K200D + flashes +...). My next step will be K-3 II.

But about Sigma 30 art lens. I don't know why this lens - you have almost all what you need (right now) from 28 to 75. If you were asked flashes or wide, or tele lenses (or special macro lens) vs K-3, then i don't know, what to say. It depends... But if the question is K-3 or Sigma 30 art, then surely K-3.
Some of the photos I have seen with the 30 are great. So didn't know where my downfall is.

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
You have entirely lenses intended to be wide to normal on full frame. A new camera won't change that. I would really wish for at least one zoom of the 16, 17,18mm to xx variety. Or even wider... or the 15 limited. Of course, a new camera can be a chance to get a nice lens bundled and 'save' a small amount on their separate price.
Probably going second hand on the K-3, might have found the right seller. And as per below might give up the Tamron and go for the Sigma 17-50mm but keep the 15mm limited in mind.
QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
Definitely leaning to the K-3 as opposed to the Sigma 30mm. You already have good glass and have most of the range covered with the exception of Wide Angle for landscapes.
Good luck!
Yeah wider lens will come at a later date, I won't be travelling for a while so there won't be a need for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Going from a 12MP sensor with AA filter to a 24MP sensor without AA filter should add a ton of resolution to your images (and also file size haha).

Plus about double the burst rate, a much more rugged body, with weather sealing, support for a battery grip (double the power), 2 SD card slots (so double the room), much improved AF system, quieter shutter, quicker screwdrive. No brainer, go with the K-3/K-3II upgrade first most.

Also maybe consider a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for those wider, landscape shots and double as a walkaround lens.
While the K-3 has a tone of new features a lot of them are a nice to have. I would probably consider selling the Tamron for the Sigma 17-50mm, I'll need to see some photos and see if it's worth the upgrade besides it being wider.

09-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

While the K-3 has a tone of new features a lot of them are a nice to have. I would probably consider selling the Tamron for the Sigma 17-50mm, I'll need to see some photos and see if it's worth the upgrade besides it being wider.
I'd still get the K-3 before the Sigma 17-50mm. Btw Tamron makes one too and its cheaper. But as indicated here (Under the 'MTF' Resolution section) the Tamron has curvature issues in the corners at 17mm.
09-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'd still get the K-3 before the Sigma 17-50mm. Btw Tamron makes one too and its cheaper. But as indicated here (Under the 'MTF' Resolution section) the Tamron has curvature issues in the corners at 17mm.
Thanks, definitely going to go the K-3 route first.

10-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The camera upgrade will of course be a great move, but ultimately you have a rather limited focal range available (28-75) plus your two primes fall also within that restricted range. You have a good, sharp zoom that's a constant F2.8 and I doubt, honestly, that I'd ever find many occasions to bother using your primes considering the Tamron is there .... So I'd think about selling both primes and dramatically widening your focal range, eg 70-200/300 plus 17-50 .... This move I think will ultimately produce the biggest impact on your photography once you start to explore the new possibilities.
10-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
^This.
In my experience, the Tamron you have outstrips the two plastic fantastics in most regards, so they are redundant. Sell them, put the cash with the rest, then look for a body and a lens to extend your range. Maybe both together if you can find a kit. Don't be scared to ask a seller for a deal if they have a combo you want.
10-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The camera upgrade will of course be a great move, but ultimately you have a rather limited focal range available (28-75) plus your two primes fall also within that restricted range. You have a good, sharp zoom that's a constant F2.8 and I doubt, honestly, that I'd ever find many occasions to bother using your primes considering the Tamron is there .... So I'd think about selling both primes and dramatically widening your focal range, eg 70-200/300 plus 17-50 .... This move I think will ultimately produce the biggest impact on your photography once you start to explore the new possibilities.
Seconded. I'd also like to point out that Ricoh only released the latest firmware update for the K-3ii, K-S2, K-S1 and K-70. You might wish to consider the K-3ii or K-70 for your needs.