Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA lens aperture on MZ-S

I would like to know how to use manual mode (M) with MZ-S camera when the lens does not have an A ring. With MZ-S you go into M mode by setting the A ring to a specific aperture instead of the A position. I could not figure this out with the Pentax-DA 50mm f 1.8, so switched to the Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2,.8 macro, and it works fine. I am assuming that DA lenses that lack an A ring are simply not backwardly compatible with the MZ-S except in Green/Automatic mode.

Comments from knowledgeable persons will be appreciated.

09-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Correct, you can use P or shutter priority, but not aperture priority since there's no way to dial in the aperture via the camera. The camera should show you the aperture value in the viewfinder, though, so you can try to hint at it with the shutter speed.

If you're looking for a film body that lets you control the aperture like a DSLR, try the PZ-1 /Z-1.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Correct, you can use P or shutter priority, but not aperture priority since there's no way to dial in the aperture via the camera. The camera should show you the aperture value in the viewfinder, though, so you can try to hint at it with the shutter speed.

If you're looking for a film body that lets you control the aperture like a DSLR, try the PZ-1 /Z-1.
I know of a pz-1 for sale off forum from a friend if anyone is interested. He is seriously underpricing it. Pm if curious.

I personally love love love the pz-1.
09-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Thanks Adam, appreciate your confirmation of what I supposed was the case. I do have a nice PZ-1P camera, so can use my crippled DA lenses with it. I did confirm, using the DA 50 with the MZ-S that the DA is full-frame compatible, no news to anyone else, I suppose.

---------- Post added 09-29-16 at 06:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I know of a pz-1 for sale off forum from a friend if anyone is interested. He is seriously underpricing it. Pm if curious.

I personally love love love the pz-1.
Thanks for the tip. Actually, I have a very nice PZ-1P, and will give it try with the DA 50. I believe the PZ-1P is almost the same as the earlier PZ-1. It is a little odd how much lower the PZ-1 is priced than the MZ-S.

09-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The camera should show you the aperture value in the viewfinder, though, so you can try to hint at it with the shutter speed.
This is what I do. I dial in the shutter speed until it hits the aperture I want. It's not ideal but it's really not bad at all, since film makes you stop and think a bit anyway. You can afford a couple more seconds fuddling with the camera because you're already being methodical, away from the spray and pray of digital.
09-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

I've used the DA40 on my MZ-S many times and it works great! As others have said, you can dial the shutter speed until it gets to the aperture you want. Yes, it's slow, but never stopped me from getting the shot I wanted.
09-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

The Pentax film era camera you want for 35mm full frame and robust build quality that directs all no apature ring lens from the body, (and also lets you set the apature from the ring if the lens has one) is the MZ-6 (or MZ-L if you are in north America), its a fully specified camera and the same size as your MZ-S.

09-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
The Pentax film era camera you want for 35mm full frame and robust build quality that directs all no apature ring lens from the body, (and also lets you set the apature from the ring if the lens has one) is the MZ-6 (or MZ-L if you are in north America), its a fully specified camera and the same size as your MZ-S.
What makes that camera better than the PZ-1/PZ-1p (Z-1/Z-1p) which was already recommended?

MZ-6 lacks center weighted metering pattern
has smaller bracket range
has much slower flash sync speed
lacks hyper program and hyper manual modes
2 fps slower
doesn't support power zoom
can't change focusing screen
lower magnifcation viewfinder (.7x vs. .8x)
weaker onboard flash GN11 vs. GN14
does not support flash exposure compensation (onboard)
uses a pentamirror vs. a pentaprism (Pentamirror is much less bright)

it does have 3 autofocus points vs. the single one on the PZ-1 series
It is lighter (400 vs. 650g)
it can have a battery grip (4xAA)
09-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Er excuse me you just gave 3 of the best reasons to own one camera over another 1 Size 2 Weight 3 No weardo battery required, One thing you can allways get is an AA battery, plus a packet of English cigaretts or a can of Coke, I know this having purchased some in the valley of the Kings in Egypt and half way up mount Cook in New Zealand, that mz battery grip fg saved the day on several occation's, and made the camera a joy to use, I had the phoney do nothing FDP grip on the Z1P not the same at all.
Also having owned both cameras and not just read the spec sheet, the MZ-6 did have more focusing points and also it was about twice as fast using them, it locked on more often and in much lower light, the donkey slow Z1P focusing is the major reason its a rare camera to find.
09-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
Er excuse me you just gave 3 of the best reasons to own one camera over another 1 Size 2 Weight 3 No weardo battery required, One thing you can allways get is an AA battery, plus a packet of English cigaretts or a can of Coke, I know this having purchased some in the valley of the Kings in Egypt and half way up mount Cook in New Zealand, that mz battery grip fg saved the day on several occation's, and made the camera a joy to use, I had the phoney do nothing FDP grip on the Z1P not the same at all.
Also having owned both cameras and not just read the spec sheet, the MZ-6 did have more focusing points and also it was about twice as fast using them, it locked on more often and in much lower light, the donkey slow Z1P focusing is the major reason its a rare camera to find.
Sorry but I own the pz-1 and would never give up that viewfinder for a pentamirror. I also think your memory of that non battery grip is tainted. It fits my hand so nicely. I found focusing reasonably snappy but lens selection mattered. Lastly the one point I will concede is the battery. But the pz-1 batteries lasted a long long time which was a plus. I still can't say that I used the MZ-6. But I know I never found another Pentax film camera compelling enough to retire my pz-1.
10-01-2016, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all . . .

I appreciate all the comments, and now I am happily shooting a cheap roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 (36) on my PZ-1P. It was nice to get all the comments on various alternatives to the MZ-S, and I may pick up one of these alternatives since they sell at such bargain prices in today's digital world.
10-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I appreciate all the comments, and now I am happily shooting a cheap roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 (36) on my PZ-1P. It was nice to get all the comments on various alternatives to the MZ-S, and I may pick up one of these alternatives since they sell at such bargain prices in today's digital world.
I am myself considering picking up the mz-6 also. Just because I never tried it.
10-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think the MZ-6 is easy to come by.
10-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #14

What about...

...the SF series of cameras. You can select the aperture on those without moving from the A position.
10-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have the MZS and the ZiP (pz1), the MZS is a prettier camera, but harder to use and a lower spec. It does have the nice battery grip however. I have never had an MZ6, so I can't comment on that model.
I have a K100D with a pentamirror, and K20D, K5 and K3II with pentaprisms, and with identical lenses on, I cannot tell the difference.