Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 01:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Possible K-5 II moisture problem?

Today I was out with my K-5 II around mid-day. It was a little hot and humid outside, but not too bad. I've used this camera just fine in worse conditions.

Anyway, as I was trying to use the camera, the viewfinder was fogged-up, and I tried to wipe the glass clean, but that did nothing. Apparently the moisture was inside. The camera would mostly still function, but I had no overlay info -- no focus point, exposure info, level indicator, etc. Basically, the viewfinder was only showing the scene. I'd get a focus-confirmation beep when pressing the shutter half-way, but nothing visual.

Once I got home, I put the camera down on my desk, went about some other business, and returned to it maybe 10 minutes later to diagnose the problem. I found that the fogginess was gone and the viewfinder overlay functions were back to normal. I was happy to see that the camera seems be working normally, but I'm wondering what happened.

Anybody know what happened? e.g., if there a correlation between humidity and the viewfinder overlay functions?

Thanks!

Last edited by bobdobbs; 09-30-2016 at 02:37 AM.
09-30-2016, 02:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lens were you using? If you zoomed a lot (or if the lens wasn't WR), that could have sucked in some moisture from the air.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2016, 02:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
My DA 20-40mm Limited WR has been on my camera nonstop for weeks.
09-30-2016, 03:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm guessing that because the K5 is weather sealed that it can also seal in moisture. I would suggest removing the lens and storing the camera and lens in a dry place with desiccant for a couple days.

09-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
What was the temperature difference inside/outside? , probably the last time you changed the lens humidity got trapped inside
09-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Definitely cooler inside. So I went from a cool environment, to a warm/humid environment and back again. That sounds like a good explanation.
10-01-2016, 01:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It sounds to me like you have some defective WR seal

10-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
It sounds to me like you have some defective WR seal
Yep, that's a distinct possiblity considering the camera is 5+ years old now, and rubber seals don't last forever. It's still working normally now, which is good, but as a (former) IT-guy, I always feel like if you haven't actually fixed the problem, it will return. Usually at the worst possible moment.
10-03-2016, 01:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The way you describe it, I would suspect that it's the lens which is not so WR anymore.
10-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fogging most often happens if the camera is cold and the air is warmer and more humid such as:

* storing the camera in an air conditioned building/vehicle then going outside into hot humid air
* using the camera on a cold winter day, then going inside into a warm

Generally, this kind of fogging affects only the optical surfaces (lens elements, mirror, focusing screen, outside of the eyepeice) although pumping a big zoom lens can force humid air deeper into the cold camera and send water/fog inside.

Fogging can also occur if small amounts of water get inside the camera or lens, the camera or lens is in the sun, which vaporizes this water which then condenses on the relatively cooler interior parts of the camera or lens. That kind of moisture can go anywhere and is more dangerous.

Anytime a camera shows electronic anomalies that seem to be related to water, it's crucial to turn off the camera, remove the battery, and dry out the camera. Water on electronic circuits causes rapid corrosion if there's any power in the circuit. It will eat the metal right off the circuit board.
10-04-2016, 05:34 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Going from a cold environment to a warm/humid one makes sense for the fogging I experienced. I thought for sure there was significant water inside, since I didn't see the focus-points or shooting info overlays, but they're all back to normal now. Maybe I was mistaken and the shooting overlays were there, but I didn't see them because of the fogging. I'm a little perplexed, but I'll keep an eye on it. (heh, punny)