Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

Suggestions? - Nikon F Mount and My K-50

Short Version:
I bought a 300mm zoom lens claiming to be a K mount but it's actually a Nikon F mount. What would you do?

Long Version:
So... I played eBay roulette this week and purchased a lens labeled as "Sigma Zoom 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 DL for PENTAX K-Mount". There were no pictures of the mount itself listed, so I knew it was a risk, but the price was right.

Turns out it is a Nikon F mount. It has a tab that prevents it from being inserted into the camera, and I can tell from the end cap that the diameter of the mount is a little smaller than the K mount, and the lens is built to rotate the opposite direction of Pentax's in order to snap into place.

I have read on the forum of people shaving off the tabs to force the lens into place and using them even though they don't lock into place. (I would be hesitant to do that since this is a larger zoom, although it is much lighter than my other 300mm zoom). I also know that there are adapters for different camera mounts, so I could look into one of those. Return isn't an option, but I could resell to someone else I suppose. Everyone else I know who has a DSLR uses a Canon, so gifting a Nikon lens to a friend isn't an option.

I am not really bothered by it, as I said it was really cheap. I don't want to keep it if I am not going to use it. The lens itself seems to be in pristine condition; I believe most of its life has been spent in a lens box with a UV filter installed and both lens caps attached. I was very disappointed that it had the wrong mount.

I am just hoping to draw suggestions from those with greater experience.

10-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would just resell it and get a Pentax equivalent.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-01-2016, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer...

get your money back from the seller and return it - not as advertised...
10-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
+1 on that. Buyers need to know what they are buying, and sellers need to know what they are selling IMO.

10-01-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
+1 on that. Buyers need to know what they are buying, and sellers need to know what they are selling IMO.
Me three...

Ask for full reimbursement and shipping both ways.

While it is good to be sensitive to a seller's possible ignorance, there is no reason for you to bear the expense unless you feel that is a good thing to do.

Steve
10-01-2016, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
The seller has volunteered to accept a return due to the mistake, even though the post states no returns. So returning is actually an option.

I am going to sleep on it, but I will probably take steps to return it tomorrow. Thanks for the input!

Still disappointing. It was a beautiful lens.
10-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SolarCat Quote
The seller has volunteered to accept a return due to the mistake, even though the post states no returns. So returning is actually an option.

I am going to sleep on it, but I will probably take steps to return it tomorrow. Thanks for the input!

Still disappointing. It was a beautiful lens.
Ebay policy is if item isnt as described the seller must accept a return.
10-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'd return it based on it not being what it is supposed to be. If the seller won't take it back, call him every dirty name you can in the feedback.

10-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd return it based on it not being what it is supposed to be. If the seller won't take it back, call him every dirty name you can in the feedback.
That's not the way to go. Open a dispute on ebay and calmly state the case and it will be resolved. You don't leave negative feedback in this case you let dispute resolution resolve this. It will be open and shut. Claimed K, it's F. Won't fit my camera.