Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash recognized as GPS module on K-S2

I recently got this flash but when I put it on my K-s2 it just won't fire and the K-S2's LED showing a gps icon on it. Then I put the flash on my k-2 film camera, everything works like a charm. Maybe I should alter some settings on my k-s2?

10-03-2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very strange. Do you have the option of exchanging the flash?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Do you have the option of exchanging the flash?
Not sure what do you mean. But this is how it looks like.

And the modes of the flash are limited to TTL and P-TTL W
Attached Images

Last edited by nats_ji; 10-03-2016 at 09:49 AM.
10-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nats_ji Quote
Not sure what do you mean.
I should probably let Adam speak for himself, but I think he meant if you could exchange this flash for another one where you purchased it. The flash and GPS module both use the pins in the hotshoe to communicate with the camera and for some reason, your flash is sending a signal to your camera that the camera expects to get from a GPS module. If you can't exchange this flash for another one, then your best option is to obtain warranty service on the flash, but that will take longer than just exchanging the flash.

10-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd return that flash. I also have a 360FGZ II and it doesn't support TTL, only P-TTL. That you're seeing 'TTL' on your flash display would concern me.
10-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I should probably let Adam speak for himself, but I think he meant if you could exchange this flash for another one where you purchased it. The flash and GPS module both use the pins in the hotshoe to communicate with the camera and for some reason, your flash is sending a signal to your camera that the camera expects to get from a GPS module. If you can't exchange this flash for another one, then your best option is to obtain warranty service on the flash, but that will take longer than just exchanging the flash.
Yup, that's what I meant.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-04-2016, 01:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've also seen TTL on the mode indicator on my AF-540FGZII, sometimes intermittently when changing settings .... It doesn't seem to be a problem, and I assume is an unintentional carry over of technology from the older model, even though they supposedly removed TTL support from the new models.
10-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I've also seen TTL on the mode indicator on my AF-540FGZII, sometimes intermittently when changing settings .... It doesn't seem to be a problem, and I assume is an unintentional carry over of technology from the older model, even though they supposedly removed TTL support from the new models.
Okay, I may have overreacted there. ^_^"

10-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well, I checked the camera and the flash again today. Somehow it's all back to normal. I feel like the flash is haunted.. 😨
10-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nats_ji Quote
Well, I checked the camera and the flash again today. Somehow it's all back to normal. I feel like the flash is haunted.. 😨
When I got my flash, used, it wouldn't stay on reliably. I found corrosion in the battery contacts. After cleaning them, it would power on, but often required percussive maintenance on power-on. Over time, the flash has steadily become more and more reliable. 'Tis a strange thing.