Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #1

Adapter for attaching Nikon/Canon lens to the K mount K-1 full frame?

With the yet to be fleshed out FA lenses for the K-1 that I bought, does anyone know of an adapter that would allow for the use of FX nikon or EF canon mount lenses on the K mount? There does not (I think) need to be an optical adapter when looking at the barrel lengths in the lenses. I could be totally wrong but......

There are a lot of used good Nikon and Canon lenses out there for much less that the 1400 bucks for the 15-30mm Pentax lens in that same range.

Thanks
Tom

10-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reverendray Quote
With the yet to be fleshed out FA lenses for the K-1 that I bought, does anyone know of an adapter that would allow for the use of FX nikon or EF canon mount lenses on the K mount? There does not (I think) need to be an optical adapter when looking at the barrel lengths in the lenses. I could be totally wrong but......

There are a lot of used good Nikon and Canon lenses out there for much less that the 1400 bucks for the 15-30mm Pentax lens in that same range.

Thanks
Tom
Hello,
Nikon can be adapted with ease, but with modifications to the lens, for Canon, modifications that would enable the use at infinity are probably not possible with the lens of that focal length.

Take a look at these couple of posts: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/131055-conv...s-k-mount.html
10-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Not without an optical element. Canon FD registration distance is shorter than Pentax (and Canon EOS cannot be used without electronic control, so those are out).

Nikon is just a tad longer than Pentax, but close enough to basically work if you could mount it directly (older non-AI Nikon lenses you can sort of do that, but it is hardly ideal). But add an adapter and you're too far and lose infinity focus -- not sure if they are really usable at all. So again you need an optical element to correct. People always say once you add that element that image quality is going to suffer, which is true, but some who have actually tried it (with Nikon lenses) say it is negligible. Depends on the quality of the adapter of course. But if you're looking to use premium Nikon lenses, makes more sense to just buy a Nikon body to get full functionality, AF, etc. Or adapt all of them to a mirrorless Sony full-frame body...
10-02-2016, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The short answer is that Canon and Nikon lenses can't reliably be used, except for older Nikon lenses.

If you're not happy with the Pentax lens lineup, I'd look at offerings from Samyang or other third-party makers. No sense, IMO, to use a makeshift solution on a $2k camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Adapters do exist, but are not recommended. Sadly the lens registration distance (sensor plane to mount flange) is much shorter for Canon than for Pentax. Pentax and Nikon are close to each other but not the same.

What this translates to is that both Canon --> Pentax and Nikon --> Pentax adapters require an auxiliary optic in the adapter. Such an adapter acts as a low magnification tele-converter with loss of optical quality, increase in focal length, and decrease in maximum lens speed.

That being said, it is possible to mount older manual focus Nikon lenses upside-down on K-mount bodies. Fit is a little rough and the mount is tentative, but it can be done.

Steve
10-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can add the adaptist mount to a k mount camera (voids warranty) to use Nikon lenses. Non-AI Lenses mount without locking. They work great but drilling a small indent to allow locking is more secure.
10-03-2016, 03:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you everyone.......ok I learned what I needed to know and the answer is no. The worst thing you can do is ask advice and then when it does not agree with what you are asking, is to not take that advice. I will stick with the list of Pentax full frames that do work on the camera sorta and I have found they are also fairly well priced. Third party lenses will start to show up if the camera gets popular.

10-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

just note that you can throw this stuff out the window if you're talking about macro, since you don't need infinity focus there. generic tubes usually have replaceable mounts. You might have to buy two sets to get pentax in the back, something else in the front, but if you happened to have a good quality macro lens from another manufacturer, that would be a good way to use it.
10-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
just note that you can throw this stuff out the window if you're talking about macro, since you don't need infinity focus there. generic tubes usually have replaceable mounts. You might have to buy two sets to get pentax in the back, something else in the front, but if you happened to have a good quality macro lens from another manufacturer, that would be a good way to use it.
Great point - I always forget to mention this. The best bellows I have ever seen for Pentax was actually a Nikon SB6? with swapped mounts. That particular bellows offered tilt and swivel and was just slightly more awesome than the Pentax I now own.
10-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Leitax makes an adapter for converting many Nikon lenses to Pentax K that retains infinity focus. Conversion involves sanding down a ring below the Nikon mount (you remove the mount, then remove the ring and sand it down slightly, replace the ring, screw on the Pentax mount and you are GO). RE: manual diaphragm control, only "A" or "M" exposure control, only manual focus. BUT, there are many good to excellent Nikon lenses out there on the second-hand market. If you are unfamiliar with the company, just google "Leitax." As the name implies, they also make a converter for Leica R lenses to be mounted on Pentax, and there are many fine Leica lenses on the market at outrageous prices. Don't even think about a 15mm Elmarit.
10-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for the help. I the knowledge base here is exceptional.
10-05-2016, 03:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is important to note that all the adapters here that are discussed, along with modifications to lens mounts etc, are for manual focus lenses.

As a result, you might just as well stay with legacy Pentax lenses. Avoid the pain iPod modification and have some fun at the same time.
10-05-2016, 04:36 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It is important to note that all the adapters here that are discussed, along with modifications to lens mounts etc, are for manual focus lenses.

As a result, you might just as well stay with legacy Pentax lenses. Avoid the pain iPod modification and have some fun at the same time.

BUT: There are lenses from other manufacturers that are, frankly, superior to Pentax optics of the same FL, and some are more readily available. I obtained a Nikon 600 f5.6 EDIF in excellent condition for under $1000. The 600 f4 Pentax is superior, but try to find one and wince at the price. I've never seen a Pentax 600 f5.6 for less that $2000, and the Nikon has IQ at least as good if not better. BTW: I use it with a no-lens adapter that does not permit infinity focus, but it's primarily a birding lens, so it is never used at anything close to infinity and the adapter permits a bit closer focus. I leave the lens @ f8 so it is used as you would use a 500mm f8 mirror lens. There's a slight gain in IQ over f5.6, but there's no detectable additional improvement at f11, and what is gained in DOF at f11 is offset by requiring a slower TV, critical with such a long lens and birds as a subject.
10-05-2016, 04:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
BUT: There are lenses from other manufacturers that are, frankly, superior to Pentax optics of the same FL, and some are more readily available. I obtained a Nikon 600 f5.6 EDIF in excellent condition for under $1000. The 600 f4 Pentax is superior, but try to find one and wince at the price. I've never seen a Pentax 600 f5.6 for less that $2000, and the Nikon has IQ at least as good if not better. BTW: I use it with a no-lens adapter that does not permit infinity focus, but it's primarily a birding lens, so it is never used at anything close to infinity and the adapter permits a bit closer focus. I leave the lens @ f8 so it is used as you would use a 500mm f8 mirror lens. There's a slight gain in IQ over f5.6, but there's no detectable additional improvement at f11, and what is gained in DOF at f11 is offset by requiring a slower TV, critical with such a long lens and birds as a subject.
Yes I do think some of those long fl Pentax lenses are very expensive, more so than other brands. That's the downside of Pentax being a small player.This has gotten worse in the last couple of years unfortunately. It's a bad thing.
10-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Yes I do think some of those long fl Pentax lenses are very expensive, more so than other brands. That's the downside of Pentax being a small player.This has gotten worse in the last couple of years unfortunately. It's a bad thing.
BTW - V-A-V The 600mm Nikon. A downside is the color rendition, which is odd. JPEGs look a bit muddy and flat, which can be corrected within limits PP. I must experiment with RAW capture and see if I can devise a PP color profile that will make the images "snappy," or find a camera custom color balance spot to replace AWB.