Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 firmware update isn't working

Tonight I was trying to update my K-1 from version 1.00. I've followed Pentax' official instructions as far as Step 4: "Turn on the camera while pressing the MENU button." When I've done that, many times now, I just get the normal rear status screen, ready for shooting. According to the instructions, Step 5, I should see this: "'Updates the Camera Firmware' appears in the LCD monitor."-- but it doesn't. has anyone else encountered this obstacle? Please tell me what I"m doing wrong.

10-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

See the troubleshooting steps here:

Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.30 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Tonight I was trying to update my K-1 from version 1.00. I've followed Pentax' official instructions as far as Step 4: "Turn on the camera while pressing the MENU button." When I've done that, many times now, I just get the normal rear status screen, ready for shooting. According to the instructions, Step 5, I should see this: "'Updates the Camera Firmware' appears in the LCD monitor."-- but it doesn't. has anyone else encountered this obstacle? Please tell me what I"m doing wrong.
Tell us how in detail you did it. What computer.
10-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks- a couple more times through the whole process and it worked. No idea why!

10-06-2016, 02:21 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem with my new Pentax K1. I am trying to up grade from version 1.0 to 1.3. I have followed all the steps exacty as explained in ricoh official site, but no success at all.
Each time what I see at the LCD monitor is the same as normally what everybody sees when camera turned on.
I need some help/explanation to this situation.
Thanks.
10-06-2016, 02:29 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by aierturk Quote
I have the same problem with my new Pentax K1. I am trying to up grade from version 1.0 to 1.3. I have followed all the steps exacty as explained in ricoh official site, but no success at all.
Each time what I see at the LCD monitor is the same as normally what everybody sees when camera turned on.
I need some help/explanation to this situation.
Thanks.
Did you see my troubleshooting link? Check the filename, location, and extension. Check your battery level and make sure the card with the update is in the first slot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
K1 firmware update

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you see my troubleshooting link? Check the filename, location, and extension. Check your battery level and make sure the card with the update is in the first slot.
Thank you Mr Adam for quick reply.After some more study I solved the problem.

Eureka Eureka
I have succeded to upgrade K1 firmware V1.0 to V1.30
I have to explain the reason why my previous attempts was not succesfull.
The reason was, my miss understanding about the ''SD card root''.
What I was doing copyng the '' fwdc228.bin'' file inside to the DCIM which was the problem.
Since what I was doing after formatting the SD card with the mouse right click I was copying the .bin file inside the DCIM.

Now open the SD card on computer with right clik, then DCIM file will be seen: After this just copy the subject file next to it.
Thats all. Rest follow the instuction.
I hope my writing is explanatory.
01-29-2017, 12:13 AM   #8
AYD
Site Supporter

I was copying the firmware .bin file to a new unused card that I formatted in the camera in slot 1 or 2, and then copied the .bin file to the root folder. On following the menu press and turn on, the camera would not got to the update firmware question. Did this 2-3 times, formatting the card every time and repeating the procedure. It took 2-3 attempts before it finally worked. Seems you must have a newer card and use slot 1 to format and update. Don't use slot 2 to format and don't use a card over 2 years old. I'm still not sure what the real issue is.

Everything works and love the camera. Just got a 15-30 and its a fabulous lens!

Last edited by AYD; 01-29-2017 at 12:14 AM. Reason: typos
01-29-2017, 01:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AYD Quote
Did this 2-3 times, formatting the card every time and repeating the procedure

In-camera formatting?
01-29-2017, 02:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AYD Quote
I was copying the firmware .bin file to a new unused card that I formatted in the camera in slot 1 or 2, and then copied the .bin file to the root folder. On following the menu press and turn on, the camera would not got to the update firmware question. Did this 2-3 times, formatting the card every time and repeating the procedure. It took 2-3 attempts before it finally worked. Seems you must have a newer card and use slot 1 to format and update. Don't use slot 2 to format and don't use a card over 2 years old. I'm still not sure what the real issue is.

Everything works and love the camera. Just got a 15-30 and its a fabulous lens!
Just have it in slot 1.

You don't need to format it there, or even in the camera, a computer is fine.

Anyway, glad you're up and running!