Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2016, 02:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

k-50 battery issues

Hi, I'm having issues with my new K50. It doesn't read the battery sometimes. By that I mean, I insert the battery and the camera won't turn on. I have the latest firmware 1.02v and the camera is Brand new. I got it in June. Sometimes it says the battery is dead, I have to turn the camera off and on again then it shows 3/4 full. I ordered 2 spares and I get the same problem. Has anyone encountered this and how did you resolve it?

I'm 2 days away from sending it back for service. Just thought I could get a work around/fix before I do

10-03-2016, 02:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it back, that's not right
10-03-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have a look inside the battery compartment, it may just be some dirt or fluff on the contacts. If not, yes it needs returning.
10-03-2016, 02:22 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Does it happen when using liveview?

10-03-2016, 02:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't use live view. Aka haven't gotten around to all the features yet. Trying to keep it simple lol. No dirt fluff. Camera is brand new and kept in a lowepro case at all times
10-03-2016, 02:28 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Could also just be a faulty battery.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2016, 02:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The issue occurs with the 2 brand new spare lithiums too.
10-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Try updating the software again, if you can, just to eliminate a software glitch, and if that doesn't help send it back and get a replacement.

10-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't update it I just tried. It's the latest 1.02v. I took out the formatted card put the firmware on the card but the update option isn't there. I just popped out the battery as a test and it won't turn on. I don't have time to fiddle around with this. It's under warranty. Even if it gets working, who's to say it won't crap out on me when I need it to take some important shots. I'm sending it back tomm. It's a shame I might have gotten a dud, the 1 in 5,000 units kind of dud.

---------- Post added 10-03-16 at 02:38 PM ----------

Now I won't be able to try my m42 adapter either. I hope it doesn't take too long to get back. Thanks for all the input, but as the saying goes time is money. I need this guy fixed asap.
10-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

My K-50 does this also. Did you get it resolved?
10-20-2016, 02:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I sent it back to have it looked at. I just got it in June. If yours is under warranty, send it in. I sent it in during the first week of october just before thanksgiving. Still waiting

did you try the firmware update
putting in another battery
cleaning the battery contacts
if so, you have the same symptoms and it annoys me because the camera is brand new. I've taken it out less than 5 times to shoot.
10-20-2016, 03:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I had similar problems with my K-50 and what I did to solve the issue was cleaned the battery contacts with an eraser from a number 2 pencil then brushed off the eraser debris with a soft brush. No more problems.
10-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
did you try the firmware update
putting in another battery
cleaning the battery contacts
if so, you have the same symptoms and it annoys me because the camera is brand new. I've taken it out less than 5 times to shoot.
I did not try those things. I will give them a shot. I bought it in Feb but always charged the battery before going out and never really drained it until recently. Problem is I am in the process of moving and have no idea where any of my camera stuff is except for the camera itself and lenses.

Do you need anything to send it in for warranty?

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I had similar problems with my K-50 and what I did to solve the issue was cleaned the battery contacts with an eraser from a number 2 pencil then brushed off the eraser debris with a soft brush. No more problems.
Awesome!! I will give that a try.
10-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
yes try what photolady95 suggests. I'm wondering though if that would help on a brand new battery ie didn't get time to corrode/dirty the contacts yet?
10-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I'm not sure a new battery would be affected but if it was few days old, and depending on conditions in your area, it could still have some dirt and/or corrosion on it. Using the eraser method won't hurt it at any rate.

Btw, I bought my K-50 in March this year. And the off brand batteries I bought last month. And all four I have, Pentax and Wasabi showed as charged but the K-50 wouldn't recognize there was any battery installed.