Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter

540fgz & K-1 issues

Greetings, looking for a little help for K-1 & older 540fgz operation.
Normally when I want full light control I'll resort to my multiple Yongnuo 560-IV setup but sometimes I just like to be lazy and carry one PTTL flash with me.
(Easier to carry one flash for PTTL lenses with manual control for the vintage glass.)
The older 540fgz has worked great over the years with the K3 & K20 in all modes - PTTL, Auto & Manual, however on the K-1 it is acting finicky.
Mode shift button on the 540 usually tries to go between PTTL and SB, takes a few tries of the Mode button to get it to change to Auto or M.
Will fire in Auto accurately when in that mode but every time I get it to M mode, when I press the shutter button on camera the flash immediately goes back to ttl and wont fire.
This is the same for all lenses - K, M, A & Sigma EX DG. K & M lenses in Manual mode on camera and A or EX DG lenses in either Manual or AV mode.
Wondering if I'm missing something to get the flash into M mode or if I just have to stay creative with the Auto mode on the K-1?
Not trying to use it as wireless, issue is either on top hotshoe or with F5P sync.
Any Ideas would be great and thanks in advance.

10-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What shutter speed are you setting on the camera in manual mode?
I found this link to the K-1 flash in the review. I just found out myself after reading it that the flash sync speed for the K-1 is 1/200th. Hope the link is helpful.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-review/flash-modes.html

Last edited by pjv; 10-04-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add link.
10-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Have tried from 1/200 down to 1 sec in full stops. Also same results in X (sync) mode on camera.
As mentioned all works when I can get into Auto on flash, just can't get it to stay in Manual.
Retried the Yongnuos' today and they work as would be expected in M, AV or X on camera with K, M & A lenses.
10-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The two things to have linked up correctly are the camera exposure mode and the flash mode .... Which combinations are suitable depends on the lens type. Perhaps the most common misunderstanding is to expect Manual flash mode in combination with any auto-exposure mode. So to set M on the flash you first need M mode set on the camera. An auto-exposure mode will cause the flash to jump to P-TTL.

I'm not saying this is your misunderstanding specifically, but it wasn't totally clear from your post that you had got this sorted. You also have the Spotbeam mode coming on which is strange, so you may be dealing with a fault.

10-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks mcgregni for the link. I'm having problems even in M or X on the camera and still not able to set M on flash. I'll give the link a good going through though as it looks like a lot of information there.
10-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I hope you enjoy the Guide, just for general info .... it seems wrong that you can't set Manual flash mode in M or X mode on the camera. Any other K1 users having any issues ?