Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Are there any Auto focus f1.2 lens for Pentax K mount?

Are there any Auto focus f1.2 lens for Pentax K mount?

Thanks,

10-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not that I know of!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

We hope, we wish, we dream.
10-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there such a lens for any interchangable lens mount? I suspect it's extremely difficult to get accurate autofocus at f1.2.

10-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Is there such a lens for any interchangable lens mount? I suspect it's extremely difficult to get accurate autofocus at f1.2.
Yeah, Canon has an 85mm F1.2 and 50mm F1.2 with AF, and Nikon has a 32mm F1.2 lens for the 1 system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, Canon has an 85mm F1.2 and 50mm F1.2 with AF, and Nikon has a 32mm F1.2 lens for the 1 system.
Thanks Adam. Are my suspicions correct, or are Canon and Nikon just really on top of their AF?
10-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Olympus is going to release a 25mm f/1.2.

10-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Adam. Are my suspicions correct, or are Canon and Nikon just really on top of their AF?
I have a buddy that is a seasoned wedding and portrait shooter and has the 85mm f/1.2 and I can say that while the focus is very close for a lot of them, it is not accurate enough for my tastes. In good light and with a static subject, it shoots fine, but add any movement and its too much glass to move quickly.
10-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't even see how AF at f/1.2 would be practical hand-held - even the slightest movement would throw it off. Of course on a tripod it would be a different story - but then on a tripod manual focus might be preferable anyway.
10-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AFAIK most AF systems are designed for max aperture of about f/2.8--so it would not be able to critically focus the 1.2 lens--any better than it could at f/2.8--so you would be pretty upset w/ the lens--hence less likely to make AF f/1.2 lenses, Of course they make f/2 AF lenses, but likely the faster the lens is the less likely it will be AF,.
10-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think the Canon or Nikon centre AF points are any better rated for an f1.2 lens than Pentax ones, to be honest. They will also be f2.8 cross points, etc.
10-04-2016, 09:07 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think the Canon or Nikon centre AF points are any better rated for an f1.2 lens than Pentax ones, to be honest.
Debatable, the DOF is so thin @ f/1.2 doing test comparisons would be every bit as demanding on the reviewer as it would be on the AF system. Many people forget the reasons for super-speed glass - it is so we can stop it down for peak image quality. A fast 50mm f/1.4 is going to arrive at peak performance at a faster aperture than a f/4 zoom - typically, peak performance is reached at two stops from the widest aperture on nearly all lenses*

AF accuracy at f/1.2 is only an issue if you're one of those people that like to blur the background of their portraits into oblivion, all the power to those people however IMO this is usually a resort for the aesthetically maladjusted. Knowing how to use the background in a portrait image can be just as important as the subject itself.

*as always there are exceptions, there are lenses that are made with the express purpose of being as sharp as possible [and simultaneously leaving a $5000+ hole in your bank account], at their widest aperture e.g The Zeiss Otus and Leica-APO Summicron lens lines.
10-04-2016, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Many people forget the reasons for super-speed glass - it is so we can stop it down for peak image quality.

I don't think that's universially agreed upon. The extra light-gathering ability is why I pay extra for that glass. Never enough light...
10-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think that's universially agreed upon.
This is photography, nothing is universally agreed upon. Canon Vs Nikon, Leica Vs everyone else, Kodak Vs Fuji Vs Ilford...the list is endless.

The extra light-gathering ability is why I pay extra for that glass. Never enough light
I suppose the energy conscious among us with dim energy saving light bulbs or those stupid hipster decorative Edison bulbs have increased the need for faster lenses...
10-04-2016, 09:35 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter