Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
New Member
Hamseriadau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Swansea, West Wales
Posts: 11
Spotmatic f flash

So, I just recently bought myself a spotmatic F. I'm new to old film cameras, so I'm not very familiar with them. I just wonder if it's possible to connect a modern flash through the x and Fp ports. If not, would I need to get an older flash meant for the camera type? Thank you!

10-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,161
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The hot shoe will work with all modern electronic flashes that support a manual mode. Similarly, the X PC connector will work with corded flashes. FP is connector used for special, long-burn flash bulbs that may still be available if you have a need for them. You can download a copy of the SP F user manual from:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/m42manuals.htm


Steve
10-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,814
Any flash should fire just fine. These terminals are both mechanical switches so they won't harm any connected flash. I forget what the differences are between each port. Probably X is better because X continues today.

The cameras came with caps for the terminals because some old flashes had a high voltage across their firing terminals. If you had one of those flashes on the hotshoe, the high voltage would also be on the ports. If you weren't careful holding the camera, you could get a shock from the ports. Modern flashes are unlikely to be a problem here either.
10-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
New Member
Hamseriadau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Swansea, West Wales
Posts: 11
Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. U just realised that my Spotmatic F didn't comr with a hot shoe. How would I get around this?

Thank you!

10-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
New Member
Hamseriadau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Swansea, West Wales
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hamseriadau Quote
Thank you for your replies. U just realised that my Spotmatic F didn't comr with a hot shoe. How would I get around this?

Thank you!
I + come... Walking and typing without proof reading is dangerous. Haha.

I also think there's an issue with my metering. If I slide the meter thing up, my shutter gets stuck.
10-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,012
QuoteOriginally posted by Hamseriadau Quote
Thank you for your replies. U just realised that my Spotmatic F didn't comr with a hot shoe. How would I get around this?

Thank you!
My first Spotmatic (back in 1979) didn't have a hot shoe either. You will need to pick up a flash L-bracket and connect the flash using a cable to the X socket.

I still have my bracket and it looks very much like this one:



The bottom leg screws into the tripod mount on the camera and the flash fits onto the top of the vertical leg.
10-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,161
QuoteOriginally posted by Hamseriadau Quote
Thank you for your replies. U just realised that my Spotmatic F didn't comr with a hot shoe. How would I get around this?

Thank you!
Send the camera back to the seller. The Spotmatic F has a hot shoe. If your's does not, it is not a Spot F; either that or the camera has been modified and is probably not in functional condition. On a similar note, pushing up the meter switch should not jam the shutter. Your camera should look like this from the top...



The hot shoe is the fitting on the top with the orange "X".


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-05-2016 at 07:36 PM.
10-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #8
New Member
Hamseriadau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Swansea, West Wales
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Send the camera back to the seller. The Spotmatic F has a hot shoe. If your's does not, it is not a Spot F; either that or the camera has been modified and is probably not in functional condition. On a similar note, pushing up the meter switch should not jam the shutter. Your camera should look like this from the top...



The hot shoe is the fitting on the top with the orange "X".


Steve
You are right indeed. When I look at the top it just says 'SP' - no 'F'

Guess I'm back to E-bay, then!

---------- Post added 10-05-16 at 08:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hamseriadau Quote
You are right indeed. When I look at the top it just says 'SP' - no 'F'

Guess I'm back to E-bay, then!
On a positive note, I did get an Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar F1.4 50mm lens in perfect condition with it. It's something!

10-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,012
So it sounds like you have the Spotmatic I started out with, they were a great camera at the time (and can still take a good photo today).

If you are searching Ebay for a flash bracket don't forget you will also need a sync cable to connect the flash to the camera but make sure you get one that will mate with your flash gun. The camera connection is via a co-axial connector but the flash end can be either co-axial or via a 3.5mm jack plug. Check your flash connection type before choosing a cable.
10-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Cee Cee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Glenroy, Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,958
I usually used my Spotmatic F with a home made flash bracket similar in concept to the one pictured as it avoided "red eye" when used on the bracket, my flash had a small cable which could be unwound to plug into the X socket.
10-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
New Member
Hamseriadau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Swansea, West Wales
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
So it sounds like you have the Spotmatic I started out with, they were a great camera at the time (and can still take a good photo today).

If you are searching Ebay for a flash bracket don't forget you will also need a sync cable to connect the flash to the camera but make sure you get one that will mate with your flash gun. The camera connection is via a co-axial connector but the flash end can be either co-axial or via a 3.5mm jack plug. Check your flash connection type before choosing a cable.
Yeah, it's the Spotmatic I. It would've been great if it was actually functioning. I think the lens is more interesting than the actual camera since it's a Takumar SMC F1.4 50mm, though.

The shutter keeps randomly locking, and the meter makes it lock every time I slide it up. So I think I should buy a fully functioning Spotmatic F, since I'm already at it.
10-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,012
QuoteOriginally posted by Hamseriadau Quote
I think I should buy a fully functioning Spotmatic F, since I'm already at it.
If you are going to do that I would suggest looking for a Spotmatic II (or later camera) as the flash hotshoe was introduced on the SP II. You wouldn't need the flash bracket and cable then, although I still used my flash bracket on my SP II at times as it does help to prevent red eye.
10-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
New Member
Hamseriadau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Swansea, West Wales
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
If you are going to do that I would suggest looking for a Spotmatic II (or later camera) as the flash hotshoe was introduced on the SP II. You wouldn't need the flash bracket and cable then, although I still used my flash bracket on my SP II at times as it does help to prevent red eye.
Yeah, the Spotmatic F.

---------- Post added 10-06-16 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
If you are going to do that I would suggest looking for a Spotmatic II (or later camera) as the flash hotshoe was introduced on the SP II. You wouldn't need the flash bracket and cable then, although I still used my flash bracket on my SP II at times as it does help to prevent red eye.
I'm a Black and White photographer, though, so I don't think I'd need to worry much about red eye.
10-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,012
QuoteOriginally posted by Hamseriadau Quote
I'm a Black and White photographer, though, so I don't think I'd need to worry much about red eye.
But the retina still lights up like a glowing ball regardless of the film type.
10-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
New Member
Hamseriadau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Swansea, West Wales
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
But the retina still lights up like a glowing ball regardless of the film type.
Hmm fair point.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bracket, cable, camera, condition, e-bay, eye, flash, ii, indeed, note, pentax help, photography, shoe, sp, spotmatic, spotmatic ii, times, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spotmatic F: Flash on hotshoe isn't firing rocah360 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 07-14-2015 03:49 PM
For Sale - Sold: Black Spotmatic F, Silver Spotmatic F, Pentax AP, H1a, SV MightyMike Sold Items 36 02-11-2013 07:21 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Spotmatic F with Takumar 50mm 1.4 and Flash 68wSteve Sold Items 3 10-03-2011 05:46 AM
Spotmatic F Vs Spotmatic ES 3RiC Pentax Film SLR Discussion 14 05-26-2009 06:08 AM
Flash for My Spotmatic F and ME Super zx-m Pentax Film SLR Discussion 22 07-14-2008 05:17 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top