Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Cannot seem to download latest firmware update for my new Pentax K-S2

Hi everyone,
Thought I'd introduce myself as a new member and cheekily ask a couple of questions at the same time.
Feeling guilty about not knowing the answer to my first question, I played with the S2 for 5 mins and solved my first problem.
On entering the second question in the "New thread title", up came five answers to it, in red, so I couldn't miss them!!

So, all that remains is to introduce myself.
My name is John, from England and I'm 72 years old. Started photography at 13 with a Brownie box camera. Progressed to a Voigtlander, then a Werra, Pracktina 2A slr, Minolta slr, Olympus, several Fuji bridge cameras and now a Pentax K-S2.
I'm excited to return to the slr type of camera and it feels as though I've started photography again, just as I did in 1962, with my treasured Pracktina 2A.
Enough about me, or I'll start to tell you all what I had for lunch.
Very best wishes to all of you,
John

10-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome John

What seems to be the problem with the firmware update? Find it here: Latest PENTAX K-S2 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Kind regards,
Mark
10-07-2016, 04:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
Cheers Mark,
Thanks for replying so soon. The problem seems to be moving the unzipped file from my computer to the camera, via a USB cable. Had a long look at the instruction manual (always helps) and have found two USB settings that can be used when connecting the camera to a computer. (MSC and PTP) The trouble is, I have not come across these abbreviations before and I cannot find any other reference to them in the index. So I'll experiment.
All the very best,
John
10-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF John.

The camera supports both the MSC and PTP protocols. There is probably a setting in the camera menus to choose. On the K-30 it's in the Setup menu, under USB connection; the manual says to select MSC "unless otherwise specified".

Note that the connection is only USB 2, so transfers might not be as quick as with USB 3 drives.

Instead of using a USB cable, the easier way might be to insert the SD card into the card reader slot on your computer. The computer should read it as a separate drive. Then copy over the files you have extracted from the downloaded zip file. If your computer doesn't have an SD card reader, get a cheap one (preferably USB 3) that plugs into a USB port.

Personally I prefer to take the SD card out of the camera to transfer photos to the computer. I find that easier than connecting the camera by the USB cable, in the congestion of my computer desk. Even if that isn't your preferred method, it's worth having an SD card reader as a backup method anyway.

Enjoy the K-S2.

Last edited by Des; 10-07-2016 at 03:39 PM.
10-13-2016, 01:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome John

What seems to be the problem with the firmware update? Find it here: Latest PENTAX K-S2 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Kind regards,
Mark
Hi Mark,
Have solved my problem and have updated my camera successfully.
Many thanks for your help,
John

---------- Post added 10-13-16 at 01:48 AM ----------

Dear Des,
Many thanks for your help. My problem was nothing to do with the USB, but my stupidity in trying to move just one of the files in the unzipped folder, instead of the the whole folder. (Jatrax explains it far more professionally than me.)
However to cut a long story short :
Next time I'll just download the update - R click on it - click on "extract all" - connect my camera/ SD card reader via USB -drag and drop the funny folder that appeared when I "extracted all" into the camera. Then follow the instructions given to check on the success of the update.
Sorry to have bothered you,
John
10-13-2016, 02:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you got it sorted. The process trips up many people.