Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which camera should I choose?

Hello Everyone,

I've finally got to the moment where I can start building up my full frame system. The problem lies in not knowing which way to go Ė Nikon D750 or Pentax K1. I have been pondering this question for a while know, read the reviews, read user reviews and I have a decent idea about which are the strengths of each camera. The thing is I just can't make up my mind.

Here are some details that might put things better into perspective: I generally do landscape photography, with night time photography also being very common. I also enjoy shooting concerts, although I haven't done this in a while. Other types of photography that I donít do often would be portrait work, street photography and wildlife photography. I am not a big fan of portraiture or street photography, but I do enjoy wildlife photography and I am planning on doing this a lot more in the future. I would like to point out that I am long time pentaxian (starting from ~2006), but I have also had the pleasure of owning a Sigma SD14 and a Nikon D300. I still have a few really good K series lenses and a Pentax K100D that I don't want to part with.

At the end of the day, I didn't really enjoy shooting with the D300. I was really impressed with how well it was built and how good the autofocus system was, but I always ended up being slightly annoyed about how much work I have to put into editing the raw files to make them look like I wanted too. And herein lies one of the problems - I'm not a big fan of Nikon's colour profiles. I definitely enjoy more the colour profiles of Pentax cameras, and after seeing a few big galleries of photos from the Nikon D750, I have the impression that not that much has changed since the days of the D300 when it comes to colour.

The thing that I'm worried about most with using the K1 is the high resolution. Don't get me wrong, I think the sensor in the camera is one of the best out there at the moment, but I have doubts in my ability of hand-holding the camera and not getting motion blur in the photos. The increase in resolution automatically brings a decrease in exposure time to make sure that there is no motion blur in the photos. Could any K1 owners give me feedback about this issue? Have you seen an increase in the amount of blurry photos after switching to the K1? I remember reading a few articles written by the late Michael Reichmann in which he was saying how important it is to have the "medium-format approach" when shooting with the Nikon D800 if you want to get the most out of it.

All in all, I see it this way:

• The K1 would be a great choice for landscape and low-light photography and it would probably be a little bit out of its territory in wildlife photography. I have already more than enough manual glass to use on it, so there's no rush to start buying any autofocus lenses, except maybe the 15-30 or the 24-70.
  • The D750 would be a good choice for any type of photography, although I wouldn't benefit from the skytracer technology. I also wouldn't be that of a big fan of its colour profiles. I own a few Nikon manual and autofocus lenses, but not that many as the Pentax ones that I have. Also, its resolution is lower, so I don't need to worry about motion blur that much. It would also open up the possibility of using more 3rd party lenses, especially the ones from the Sigma Art Series.Third party lenses aren't as well supported at the moment in the case of the K mount (I really hope in the future this will change in the near future).

What would be your opinion? Which would you go for? Which would you recommend?

10-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If your happy with the lens selection available with Pentax, then I wouldn't hesitate to go the Pentax way, given what you have outlined. I'd especially check that any longer glass you may want for wildlife is available/suitable etc.

As far as the difference in resolution goes, the Pentax has a significant advantage over the 750....... with regard motion blurr..... at the pixel level from time to time the higher res sensor may show more motion blurr at 100% magnification..... but when looking at a print they'd both mostly be the same anyway....since you get the downsampling resolution advantage with the K-1.
10-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Both the K-1 and D750 are excellent cameras. The pros and cons are minor. Based on what you shared, Iʻd recommend the K-1 because youʻre not a big fan of Nikon RAW color profiles and you have more Pentax glass.
10-06-2016, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 has Pixel shift, has in-body SR, has astrotracer, has 36MP sensor that rivals (and according to some lab tests even beats) the Nikon flagship. K-1 also has AA-filter simulation
QuoteOriginally posted by ioszhka Quote
Third party lenses aren't as well supported at the moment in the case of the K mount (I really hope in the future this will change in the near future).
I see this only as a worry if you need a specific lens that is absolutely unavailable in K-mount. If you can name that lens, then get the appropriate camera for it.
and it would probably be a little bit out of its territory in wildlife photography.
Why? It is a rugged WR camera with strong tilt screen. You have DFA* 70-200mm, DFA 150-450mm, DA 560mm, and some legacy and third party super telephotos as well. And you can use TC. I've seen plenty of amazing wildlife photos posted on these forums, taken with all sorts of Pentax cameras.

The increase in resolution automatically brings a decrease in exposure time to make sure that there is no motion blur in the photos.
I'm not sure this is a real argument. Yes, you might get more per-pixel blur, but the photo, when printed on max resolution canvas and viewed from the same distance as a lower-res photo, will still be more detailed. There has been plenty of discussion about this back when the Nikon D800E was released. I think overall you only gain. The only problem is if you are making 100% crops. But the idea is that with such high resolution, you don't need to (and you have SR with any lens, even old manual ones). Another thing to remember is that the 16MP K-5IIs has the same pixel density and lack of AA filter as these 36MP sensors. The K-3 has even higher density. So if these cameras didn't have big problems due to the high resolution, then the K-1 shouldn't, either.

The advantages of Nikon that I see are better video modes, more locations that offer lens rentals and service. Yes, some more lenses, but nobody buys the whole lineup, nobody buys lenses willy-nilly. You need to know what you need and find the brand that gives you that. If you cannot name lenses, then clearly those are not your priority and you should choose according to the real priority. And the other advantage of Nikon, and this might be the only big one, is the burst mode speed and tracking AF (though, Pentax AF is not terrible and with some experience you can use it well. Plenty of photos on this forum prove it, even with cameras from generations ago). For example, if you take super telephoto photos of sprinters running towards you and video of their celebration dance, then the Nikon might be a better choice.

I dunno. Maybe I'm not seeing it? If you already have K-mount glass, then a switch is a real hassle, and you cannot even name very specific reasons for it. Doesn't make sense to me.

10-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

FWIW, I can hand hold the K1 perfectly acceptably to somewhat longer shutter durations than the 1/focal length rule. Having saud that, if a camera ever wanted to be used on a tripod, the K1 is that camera.
10-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

These series are all hand held, with the usual bracing where possible but often not. With the internal shake reduction every one of your Pentax lenses, even really old screw mount will have Shake Reduction.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/331250-abstract-whitn...ml#post3792913

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/331103-landscape-smok...quin-park.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/331158-landscape-mist...ut-1-4-tc.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/331157-landscape-mist...a-35-80-a.html

And I have a problem with not having steady hands, always have.

I often shoot in bursts to make sure I get a good one, but that seems to work for me.

And Pixels Shift does add a certain Je ne sais quoit if you want to go for the MF, maxed out look.

The only way to describe this 152 MP file compared to the non PS control image is "smoooooth".
10-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #7

nikon does not offer prime lenses that has optical stabilization for lenses less than 100mm. unless you want the tamron 35/45/85/90 with vr/vc. The IBIS of pentax should make it easier to handhold the camera vs nikon with non-vr lens.
10-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Which camera should I choose?

All camera's made today are exceptional. All of the camera's have their strengths and weaknesses - 6 of one, half a dozen of the other :-). There is no perfect camera and there never will be. Get what feels comfortable in your hands and one which you enjoy shooting with. For me that's always been the Pentax camera's and now the K1. I've tried the big boys and their high end camera's but I just enjoy shooting with the Pentax system. It feels right in my hand. The user interface and the menu system is intuitive and easy to navigate. The image quality is sublime and the shooting experience pure.The Pentax system has it's advantages and it has it's disadvantages as well but so do the others. One might offer better autofocus, the other better dynamic range. One might offer better weather resistance while the other a better flash system and so on. This can go on forever. Pick one and stick with it and you will have more than enough camera to last you a lifetime.

10-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter

For what it's worth, I also have no trouble getting sharp results with the K-1 hand held.

As others have pointed out, the higher resolution sensor just lets you pixel peep deeper into the image; the blur you might see at that depth will not show in your prints any more than they would from a lower resolution camera.
10-07-2016, 03:21 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you very much everyone for your help, especially regarding my concerns about motion blur. I currently own a Ricoh GR and I'm very well aware of the problems that I have with that camera regarding blurry photos. The fact that the K-1 has the SR system should help me get over most of them.

Taking in consideration what Na Horuk and the others said about naming a lens that I want to use, I was thinking more along the lines of system versatility. For example, I know the Pentax 24-70 f2.8 is a very dependable workhorse, but I would much rather go for the Sigma 24-105 f4. I would gladly trade an aperture stop for a 35mm increase in maximum focal length. Now, there is the option of just getting the Sigma lens and then sending it to Sigma UK to have them perform a mount conversion, but I'm not very convinced about the whole thing. I guess I'll have to decide on which compromise to make when it comes to lenses.

When it comes to ergonomics, I always preferred Pentax over Nikon or Sigma. So from that point of view, It's already clear which would be the better camera.

Cheers
10-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #11

I think its not possible to convert the sigma 24-105mm f/4.0 to K mount, because sigma doesnt offer that lens in K mount.
10-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What would be your opinion? Which would you go for? Which would you recommend?
I offer this very sarcastically, but Snapsort has it all figured out for you! By the scores of 100 to 40, the Nikon wins:

Score - Nikon D750 vs Pentax K-1

AND the Nikon even gained more points for being more POPULAR!

So there you have it!