Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
k-3ii exposure problem

Why would my k-3ii and D FA* 70-200 take two photos, one right after the other with the same settings like this (see below)? All is exposure settings (and mode) are the same: Manual, f3.2; 1/640th; ISO 400. Flash did not fire (it's a k-3ii with no pop-up). Differences in EXIF data are below:

Image 1 (proper exposure):
Focal Length: 70
Metering Mode: pattern
Subject Distance Range: Close View

Image 2 (under exposed):
Focal Length: not recorded
Metering Mode: center weighted average
Subject Distance Range: Distant View

I'll mention that I have had some intermittent lens to camera communication problems. But that was more with my k-5. Thoughts?! PLEASE!!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #2

Maybe you activated bracketing mode on accident?
10-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a little odd. Did you take both exposures, or did you only press the shutter release once and the camera took both?

Given that the focal length wasn't recorded in the 2nd image, my immediate thoughts are a lens-to-camera communication issue is involved. Was it that same lens you had problems with on the K-5?
10-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a communication issue between the camera and lens. If it loses connection, the camera will switch from matrix metering to center-weighted or spot, and the focal length won't be recorded. Try cleaning the mount on both the camera and lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
Why would my k-3ii and D FA* 70-200 take two photos, one right after the other with the same settings like this (see below)? All is exposure settings (and mode) are the same: Manual, f3.2; 1/640th; ISO 400. Flash did not fire (it's a k-3ii with no pop-up). Differences in EXIF data are below:

Image 1 (proper exposure):
Focal Length: 70
Metering Mode: pattern
Subject Distance Range: Close View

Image 2 (under exposed):
Focal Length: not recorded
Metering Mode: center weighted average
Subject Distance Range: Distant View

I'll mention that I have had some intermittent lens to camera communication problems. But that was more with my k-5. Thoughts?! PLEASE!!!
I see by the EXIF data that all the exposure related settings were identical (as would be expected for you shooting in manual). That leads to two possible explanations in my mind. One is that the natural lighting for the second shot got around 1 stop dimmer, perhaps due to a cloud moving in and blocking more light than was available when the first shot was taken or them moving into a more shaded area. The other explanation would be an issue with the aperture control of the lens. I tend to dismiss the latter because the most typical aperture problem (sticky/oily blades) result in the lens overexposing rather than underexposing.
That's my 2 cents worth of thought...
Daryl
10-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sefesoft Quote
Maybe you activated bracketing mode on accident?
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's a little odd. Did you take both exposures, or did you only press the shutter release once and the camera took both?

Given that the focal length wasn't recorded in the 2nd image, my immediate thoughts are a lens-to-camera communication issue is involved. Was it that same lens you had problems with on the K-5?
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like a communication issue between the camera and lens. If it loses connection, the camera will switch from matrix metering to center-weighted or spot, and the focal length won't be recorded. Try cleaning the mount on both the camera and lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I see by the EXIF data that all the exposure related settings were identical (as would be expected for you shooting in manual). That leads to two possible explanations in my mind. One is that the natural lighting for the second shot got around 1 stop dimmer, perhaps due to a cloud moving in and blocking more light than was available when the first shot was taken or them moving into a more shaded area. The other explanation would be an issue with the aperture control of the lens. I tend to dismiss the latter because the most typical aperture problem (sticky/oily blades) result in the lens overexposing rather than underexposing.
That's my 2 cents worth of thought...
Daryl
Same day, seconds apart and it was overcast so there definitely wasn't a cloud issue that cause less light. Also, I depressed the shutter release button twice so it wasn't a bracketing issue.

I can clean the lens/camera connections but both are months old. I feel like I NEVER had these problems with my k-5 in all 5 years of heavy use and now after 5 months my k-3ii and d fa* are giving me problems?! I'm a little perplexed.

Does anyone know if these new D FA* lenses need firmware updates? Could this be an issue that might be fixed? Also, any ideas how to better diagnose? Thanks for your expertise!

---------- Post added 10-07-16 at 06:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bigmackcam Quote
was it that same lens you had problems with on the k-5?
* yes! *
10-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

Definintely looks like a communication issue... note
"Lens ID HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW" on the first
and
"Lens ID Unknown (1 60)" on the second.

Looks like a different zoom range and it reported a different focus distance -- try testing it at various zooms and focuses and see if anything is reproducible? Not sure what it would _mean_, mind you, but at least it would narrow down the problem.

10-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's certainly not normal behaviour for the K-3II. The failure to recognise the lens probably has a lot to do with it. Check the contacts, or if it is that new maybe just get a warranty fix.
10-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The difference in the images can revolve around the different metering in use. In your case "Pattern" and "Center Weighted Average" are evident as has already been mentioned. Also your stats for "Subject Distance Range" mention "Close View" (image 1) and "Distant View" (image 2) differ. The distance and slightest shadow or presence of extreme black or white can effect metering in some cases, I am not saying necessarily yours, but I have found the factor to influence my images on occasion. You may want to do a test of a static well lit subject that is evenly lighted, doing multiple shots, using the same identical settings, focus/on same identical area, and use a tripod to maintain exactness. If the results are very similar, I would doubt that your camera or lens have a problem. If they go from light to dark image outputs even though the subject lighting did not change, then something may be evidently wrong. When I use TAV mode while using "Spot" mode metering and "Spot" mode AF, if I focus on a white cloth uniform in the Sun, then the image may blowout due to the extreme bright white with reflective glare on it. Otherwise, if I focus on the medium green field area next to the white uniform, the metering is successful and renders an image with no blowout. So the subject light/dark differences can effect the exposure metering in some cases.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-07-2016 at 08:05 PM.
10-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

From your post it is not apparent if this is a one off or if shots always come out this way when taken within a few seconds of each other. The time stamp in EXIF is not recording seconds so I assume the two shots were taken within 60 seconds of each other. So, if this is happening all the time, in other words it was not a one off, you must try to get a handle on this problem to find out if this will happen if you shoot with only one or two seconds between shots or longer, up to 60 seconds.

If this behavior presents it self all the time then you need to find out whether the lens or camera body is responsible for it. This you can only establish if you mount another lens. If you do not have another lens to try, see if you can borrow one.

Find the problem by a process of elimination.