Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #1

Cannot see folders in Pentax Digital Camera Utility navigation pane

I have just purchased the K-70 (which is wonderful by the way) and installed the Pentax Digital camera Utility 5 software which came with it. However the software (64-bit version updated to 5.6.2) is unusable as subfolders to my root "pentax" folder are not visible in the navigation pane at the base. I have a few photos in the root folder which show up as thumbnails, but my hundreds of photos are all in subfolders under that according to what camera they were shot on - and the folders are not visible to navigate to. I just installed an older version (version 4) and folders show up as thumbnails in that - but not in version 5. I have tried searching online for this issue but cannot find any reference to this issue. I have installed it on two separate PCs now with the same result. There are definitely folders there, but they aren't visible in PDCU5. What am I doing wrong?
cheers
Bill

10-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Landy Quote
I have just purchased the K-70 (which is wonderful by the way) and installed the Pentax Digital camera Utility 5 software which came with it. However the software (64-bit version updated to 5.6.2) is unusable as subfolders to my root "pentax" folder are not visible in the navigation pane at the base. I have a few photos in the root folder which show up as thumbnails, but my hundreds of photos are all in subfolders under that according to what camera they were shot on - and the folders are not visible to navigate to. I just installed an older version (version 4) and folders show up as thumbnails in that - but not in version 5. I have tried searching online for this issue but cannot find any reference to this issue. I have installed it on two separate PCs now with the same result. There are definitely folders there, but they aren't visible in PDCU5. What am I doing wrong?
cheers
Bill
Have a read here Bill, hopefuly it's what you're looking for: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...-selected.html

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Tas
10-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #3

If you are connecting your images via a USB between the K70 and the PC, sometimes it will not scan the card fully to the sub-folders. This is more an issue with Windows 10 than PDCU5, I've found.

Try connecting your card with a separate card reader to the PC instead to see if that makes a difference.
10-12-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Be sure you are in the Browser mode (click Browser button)
From the Menu - Windows - Default Layout

10-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Definitely in Browser mode. Thanks for the suggestion Tas, that was the problem - I figured out by accident last night before I read responses here. The browser was there, but it was totally hidden behind the 'histogram' pane which was taking up the whole left hand side of the screen. I noticed that the browser was there for a slit second after starting the program, but was then covered by the histogram pane. Closed the histogram and voila - there it was. Still odd that folders don't show up as icons in the small preview pane at bottom centre - they did in previous versions. And very odd that the histogram pane was taking up the whole left hand side of the screen by default after installation! BTW, this was on two separate machines, one win7 and one win10 (both 64-bit).
cheers
Bill