Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,172
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
1/160 at 200mm is fast enough by a good margin, there is no need to go faster or use a higher iso imho. The moon isnít moving THAT fast.
True.....IF youʻre using live view, or locking the mirror up, and using a tripod with a remote or self-timer. But if youʻre trying to get a razor sharp moon with the Pentax kit 50-200mm zoom at the end of itʻs range and cropping, things like internal vibration from mirror slap will show up until youʻre at 1/250". Always? No. But Iʻm trying to help the OP troubleshoot potential causes why the shot is soft.

10-14-2016, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,245
I usually like to include landscape with the moon, so I shoot it when low in the sky near sunset or sunrise. That makes it appear bigger and makes the exposure easier to balance between the moon and ambient. If it is starting to get dark I'll underexpose by a stop to not blow out the moon.
I use a tripod and 2s timer and try to keep exposure time under 1/10s for a somewhat wide shot like this.
10-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #33
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
True.....IF youʻre using live view, or locking the mirror up, and using a tripod with a remote or self-timer. But if youʻre trying to get a razor sharp moon with the Pentax kit 50-200mm zoom at the end of itʻs range and cropping, things like internal vibration from mirror slap will show up until youʻre at 1/250". Always? No. But Iʻm trying to help the OP troubleshoot potential causes why the shot is soft.
Just wondering though if live view locks up the mirror I head it was supposed to but wasn't sure.
10-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,172
QuoteOriginally posted by inzova Quote
Just wondering though if live view locks up the mirror I head it was supposed to but wasn't sure.
Yes, in order for live view to have light hitting the sensor, the mirror must lift up out of the way. Mirror lock up was a common feature pre-video or live view capable cameras, but now that it is common, it's the easiest way to eliminate mirror slap induced vibration blur. The shutter still has to reset to take the shot, but if your camera has an electronic shutter option in the menu, that will further reduce another potential cause of internal vibration blur.

10-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #35
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,245
Tonight should be good for landscape + moon, at least here in Colorado around sunset if the skies are clear enough. I'm planning on being somewhere interesting for that.
10-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,723
QuoteOriginally posted by inzova Quote
Just wondering though if live view locks up the mirror I head it was supposed to but wasn't sure.
Actually on Pentax the answer is no. The mirror actually drops down and goes back up each time you fire the shutter. You get no benefits from reduced mirror shake from live view. If anything mirror induced vibration is increased. Using a 2 second self timer however causes the mirror to go up about two seconds prior to the shutter firing. It stays up until after the shutter completes its action.
10-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #37
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,905
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Actually on Pentax the answer is no. The mirror actually drops down and goes back up each time you fire the shutter. You get no benefits from reduced mirror shake from live view. If anything mirror induced vibration is increased. Using a 2 second self timer however causes the mirror to go up about two seconds prior to the shutter firing. It stays up until after the shutter completes its action.
On what models? It does not drop down on the K5 or K1. The shutter does close before opening again though. Unless you are using ES on the K1.
10-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #38
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
On what models? It does not drop down on the K5 or K1. The shutter does close before opening again though. Unless you are using ES on the K1.
I'm using the K-S2. I thought i could lock the mirror but I don'y know how to.

10-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,723
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
On what models? It does not drop down on the K5 or K1. The shutter does close before opening again though. Unless you are using ES on the K1.
I know the K-50 does this - I was working on an article about it. I haven't looked at the K-3 in a while. I may be mixing up the non-top of class bodies with all. I'll have to verify this.

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 07:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by inzova Quote
I'm using the K-S2. I thought i could lock the mirror but I don'y know how to.
I know you can use 2 sec self timer - I don't know of any other way on the K-50, not sure about the K-S2.
10-14-2016, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,245
I think the mirror locks on the 2s timer on the K-S2 as well.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
200mm, camera, f/8, iso, k-50, k-s2, k1, moon, pentax help, photography, post, shot, tripod, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you shoot 14.6 MP? HappyO Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 04-12-2013 01:09 AM
How do you shoot film nowadays? etibo1 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 28 08-27-2012 01:17 PM
How do you take pictures of the moon? justtakingpics Photographic Technique 14 07-01-2010 03:02 AM
How do you shoot low light? audiobomber Photographic Technique 48 04-12-2010 03:35 PM
How do you shoot black? Lowell Goudge Post Your Photos! 12 05-06-2008 03:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top