Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #1

Acronyms

Dear All,
As a new member I'm having a wonderful time perusing the many informative threads concerning my new camera, the Pentax K-S2.
Unfortunately the speed at which I learn from these threads is quite often jolted to a halt, by the acronyms that the more informed members use.
Would it be possible to adopt "pete-tarigan's" excellent idea of giving the less able photographers an opportunity to hover their cursor over an acronym in order to translate it? If not, perhaps a Glossary of Acronyms?
This would enable the experts to spread their pearls of wisdom (much appreciated by me) easily and rapidly, while novices like me can keep up and learn.

e.g. (exempli gratia/ for example) I.Q. or intelligence quotient, used a lot in education, but in photography, Wiki says it means image quality.

10-13-2016, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here you go!

Photography Terms Cheat Sheet - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2016, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #3

That was solved PDQ.
10-13-2016, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What the heck are acronyms??

Last edited by photolady95; 10-13-2016 at 07:46 AM.
10-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
He's got a case of what I get, TOSA

tired of stupid acronyms
10-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Acronyms are the short forms like DOF, FOV, HDR that the photographic community adopted to quickly refer to longer terms depth of field, field of view, high dynamic range and many others.
It's part of our language now for many other fields also. I work in an auto assembly plant and everything we refer to is now an acronym. Sports enthusiasts have been accustomed to this for decades since every statistic quoted is defined by an acronym.

A great response from Adam and welcome to Novice John who can likely change that name after speaking to everyone around here for a while.
10-13-2016, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Two notably missing on Adam's list are LBA (lens buying addiction) and GAS (gear acquisition syndrome).

Last edited by Kozlok; 10-13-2016 at 01:25 PM.
10-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
what the heck are acronyms??

idk
10-13-2016, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the few threads of thought I remember from a numerous commencement speakers I heard while a professor was a very long list of acronyms the man noted had not existed when he graduated from college. The majority at that time came out of computer and similar technological advances. The speed of change has definitely accelerated. Consider changes in transportation and communication from 4,000BC to 1800, compared to changes in those areas from 1900 to 2000. And for acronyms, consider what the the internet has brought us (IMHO, BTW, LOL - - - and everyone knows "LOL" means "Little Old Lady").
10-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Novice John Quote
Dear All,
As a new member I'm having a wonderful time perusing the many informative threads concerning my new camera, the Pentax K-S2.
Unfortunately the speed at which I learn from these threads is quite often jolted to a halt, by the acronyms that the more informed members use.
Would it be possible to adopt "pete-tarigan's" excellent idea of giving the less able photographers an opportunity to hover their cursor over an acronym in order to translate it? If not, perhaps a Glossary of Acronyms?
This would enable the experts to spread their pearls of wisdom (much appreciated by me) easily and rapidly, while novices like me can keep up and learn.

e.g. (exempli gratia/ for example) I.Q. or intelligence quotient, used a lot in education, but in photography, Wiki says it means image quality.
Dear All,
Very many thanks for the humorous and informative replies. Thanks to Adam, I can rapidly keep up with the rest of you. Also, thanks to WPRESTO. At 72 and for the first time in my life, I understand what the young trendies mean when they write LOL and everyone laughs.
Cheers, John
10-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the ancient days, there was a protocol about using acronyms. The first time you spell it out then after that you use the acronym.
10-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
and everyone knows "LOL" means "Little Old Lady"
You mean LOL has been addressing me all this time?forehead slap

John, Welcome to the forums, glad to have you join us here!
10-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'll be able to keep up a bit better myself now... lol (Carol now I know it's you).
10-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Another acronym, much used in the birding community, is ATGNI -

All The Gear, No Idea
10-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was useful! Thanks guys!