Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Pentax 645D v NIKON D750 for live broadcasting

Hello all,

We are looking between Pentax 645D and Nikon D750, we are holding sporting event, our goal stream live video over IP and coax. We chose QAM modulator (DVB-C and IPTV) - our goal is to shorten a delay, we would like to know others opinion is there any latency difference between NIKON D750 and Pentax 645D. If we run signal through direct HDMI output in 22Mbps mode? Or if you guys can kindly recommend us better camera for live-streaming, We would really appreciate your kind feedback!

Thank you in advance!
Johnson

10-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OttoJ Quote
Hello all,

We are looking between Pentax 645D and Nikon D750, we are holding sporting event, our goal stream live video over IP and coax. We chose QAM modulator (DVB-C and IPTV) - our goal is to shorten a delay, we would like to know others opinion is there any latency difference between NIKON D750 and Pentax 645D. If we run signal through direct HDMI output in 22Mbps mode? Or if you guys can kindly recommend us better camera for live-streaming, We would really appreciate your kind feedback!

Thank you in advance!
Johnson
The 645D doesn't have a video mode. Did you mean the 645Z?

In any case, I'd probably go with the Nikon as Pentax isn't too video-oriented, with no raw video output.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

This shows the 645Z video results in the second half of the review. It isn't pretty. The video has lost detail in the blacks and compression artifacts and noise that the camera does not have when used for stills. The video data rate was sub-par also. I'm sad to say that Pentax just doesn't do video all that well. The live output in particular is something they talk about being more like upsampled 720p and very bad.

I have zero experience in this area but want to at least point you to those who seem to have the answers.
10-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you would be better off looking at dedicated video cameras for your requirements. Video on a DSLR is always a secondary feature as they are primarily designed for still photos.

I used to teach video making classes in the UK (admittedly back in the days of video tape) but I would never consider using a DSLR as a first choice option for video.

10-17-2016, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
The D750 is an amazing one for video. Sadly Pentax has really fallen behind in this area.
With the D750 you can output clean 4:2:2 over the HDMI while still recording a basic mp4 to the SDcard. So you can run it within a normal broadcast set up but still have a backup at the camera. On a side note the D750 is the most comfortable Nikon I have ever used.