Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
So it happened to me my flash got stuck D:

So I beleave the only way to get my flash off is to unscrew the four screws on the bottom of the flash. However i need a shallow 90 degree screwdriver to do it and I dont have one :P. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I could buy this shallow 90 degree screwdriver?

10-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a complete read of this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/6874-flash-total...hotshoe-3.html
10-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brings back memories. I took my pictures down several years ago. Use a long skinny "0" JIS and it can be done, albeit at a difficult angle for one of the screws.
10-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Brings back memories. I took my pictures down several years ago. Use a long skinny "0" JIS and it can be done, albeit at a difficult angle for one of the screws.
im not too sure a long skinny screwdriver will be able to reach i think i need a 90 degee.

10-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inzova Quote
im not too sure a long skinny screwdriver will be able to reach i think i need a 90 degee.
A 90 is better. I used what was on hand at the moment.
edit: A ratcheting 90!

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-15-2016 at 06:36 PM.
10-16-2016, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found the old picture. They are out of order...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-16-2016, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know where I got it, but I have a ratcheting 90 degree thing that takes typical hex bits. That allows me to use a bit that fits the screw OK, which I also have a lot of.

I might bend the shaft on an inexpensive screwdriver like the one shown in the above photo. It'll still be tedious to use but it will engage the screw at the proper angle. The shaft probably won't bend that well on a better screwdriver. Sears had some cheap screwdrivers the last time I was there, not JIS though.

When you do get the flash off, you might as well remove the pin. I didn't want to bother with that so I filled the hole on the camera with glue. I used a wood glue on my K-7 so I could undo this if it didn't work, but it hasn't caused any problems on the K-7 so I used epoxy on the K-5.

10-17-2016, 07:03 AM - 3 Likes   #8

Original Poster
I got it off yesterday woot woot. I grinded a phillips head bit down and then unscrewed it by hand while holding on to the stub end of the phillips head.