Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EXIF confusion - K-r can't decide what lens I am using?

Just received lens from eBay, Sigma 70-300 DG, and slapped it onto the K-r to take a few sample shots. I copied them to my computer and then, as I tend to do, renamed them using EXIF info.

<ExifTool:LensID> at f <ExifTool:Aperture> at <ExifTool:LensFocalLength> at shutter speed<ExifTool:ExposureTime>.PEF (or .JPG depending)

Anyway, I took 6 shots, and the first and last had correct LensID info but the middle 4 were kind of oddly confused, see attached.

Not a big deal since I know what I have but is my K-r being weird, the lens being weird, or do I need to be worried?

*** I note that it is not confused at 70mm but is at 300mm, I think I will take a few at other FLs and see what happens.

Attached Images

10-13-2016, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Just received lens from eBay, Sigma 70-300 DG, and slapped it onto the K-r to take a few sample shots. I copied them to my computer and then, as I tend to do, renamed them using EXIF info.

at f at at shutter speed.PEF (or .JPG depending)

Anyway, I took 6 shots, and the first and last had correct LensID info but the middle 4 were kind of oddly confused, see attached.

Not a big deal since I know what I have but is my K-r being weird, the lens being weird, or do I need to be worried?

*** I note that it is not confused at 70mm but is at 300mm, I think I will take a few at other FLs and see what happens.
It's the lens ID that's ambiguous. The camera just records what the lens tells it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Kind of what I figured, but that leads to the question WHY is the lens confused about its identity? I gently cleaned the contacts on both camera and lens and took several more shots, it definitely has some identity crisis at FL's other than 70 or 300. I noted that the aperture ring was not locked at the A setting at first but that has no effect anyway as far as I know.

Anyway again not a huge deal, but none of my other lenses act this way (I pulled out my trusty 18-55 and on all shots it was perfectly self-aware).
10-13-2016, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Ole
Administrator

It is only certain third party lenses that lead to erroneous lens identification.

10-13-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many third party lenses use an id that isn't unique to them. When faced with this the camera tries but it isn't a mind reader.
10-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Many third party lenses use an id that isn't unique to them. When faced with this the camera tries but it isn't a mind reader.
It's getting the fundamental info correct at least. Well, one more reason to stay with brand name Pentax lenses.
10-13-2016, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
dbs

Hi Madison Gal

Sigma lenses never know what they are on a Pentax Camera .
I have film era lenses and newish (post film ) lenses and very few know what they are !
So don't worry and just keep shooting.

Dave
10-21-2016, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

<ExifTool:LensID> at f <ExifTool:Aperture> at <ExifTool:LensFocalLength> at shutter speed<ExifTool:ExposureTime>.PEF (or .JPG depending)

I have found that it matters which PPE I am using. For example, I mostly use Photo Editor 10 which came with Windows 10. Using the right click on File Info, I will get everything but which lens was used. Now when uploading from MY Albums on this site, it always displays the lens information. Well, with the exception of a manual lens.
FastStones Image Viewer does a good job also, it does not provide the lens data, but will give all the necessary settings. Again, I get very good info., using My Albums.

Hope this helps,

Tony

03-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yup (reopening thread). My "new" (eBay) Tam 90 is clearly marked 272E but EXIF says 172E.

Sigh.

According to this the 172E and 272E have the same lens ID.

32 53 64 64 24 24 35 02 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro 1:1 (172E)
32 53 64 64 24 24 35 02 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 (272E)

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 03-01-2017 at 09:30 PM.
03-03-2017, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Kind of what I figured, but that leads to the question WHY is the lens confused about its identity? I gently cleaned the contacts on both camera and lens and took several more shots, it definitely has some identity crisis at FL's other than 70 or 300. I noted that the aperture ring was not locked at the A setting at first but that has no effect anyway as far as I know.

Anyway again not a huge deal, but none of my other lenses act this way (I pulled out my trusty 18-55 and on all shots it was perfectly self-aware).
It seems to be a common problem with Sigma lenses.
I've always been of the opinion that Sigma is short for Significant Malfunction.
03-03-2017, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma often uses a generic identifier (early production IMO).

For example. My Sigma 10-20mm F/3.5 uses a 8.255 identifier as do at least 6 other lenses. So Lightroom identifies them as a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II. All of these lenses also have unique identifiers...

The Sigma 70-300 in the OP shares a 3.255 identifier with at least 8 other Sigma lenses...

I use a Lightroom Plug-in called LensTagger to correct this...I can use it to tag my manual focus lenses too

LensTagger Lightroom plugin