Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ricohflex VII TLR camera help

Hello,

I'm hoping this is the right place to inquire about a Ricohflex VII M medium format TLR (Twin Lens Reflex) camera. I recently acquired one and I'd like to give shooting some 120 film a go. Camera seems to be in good shape given it's age with aperture and shutter working well. I've cleaned the viewing lens and the ground glass VF and I think its ready to go. The only thing annoying me is that while focusing, the lens feels a bit stiff and it groans and squeaks while focusing in and out, which leads to my question...

Is there any way to lubricate the lens focus action without a tear-down. Any thing I can apply externally and work into the lens focus mechanism that would not run into the lens itself and ruin it? I suspect the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!!

10-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It depends on how the twin lens focus.
If the lenses are mounted to a 'box' that moves in and out of the camera body as you focus, you may try cleaning the surface of the box. Maybe wipe down the outside with some Ronsonol lighter fluid. Use No Oil.
If the lens only moves and are coupled by a geared ring, good luck. These are a nightmare waiting to happen.These can be removed but putting them back together and keeping them 'Timed' to one another is impossible without a spec book. ie.....the viewing lens has to match the taking lens position or you may not be in focus.

I have messed with both styles and an Argus C3. Reading on Forums mostly says Leave It Be. Stiff focus is better than a none functioning camera.

Good luck and I'd be interested in the outcome.
10-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm afraid it is the lenses move via a coupled gear mechanism type of camera. My concern was re-synchronizing the viewing and shooting lenses, as well. I reached out to Brian (DCshooter) on this form as he does a whole lot of lens CLA's and it turns out he's actually CLA'ed a few Ricohflex cameras like mine. I've used him for several lenses and he's done an outstanding job, so off goes the Ricohflex to the DCshooter spa for some TLC. I'll post-up and advise how that went in the next few weeks.

Thanks!!