Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote

fwdc228b.bin

Size: 18,438 KB
Compressed: 8,570
Here the file is 18.9MB (18,880,016 bytes), if that's any help.

Cheers,
Terry

10-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know this makes no sense, but I figured it out (kind of). Out of desperation, I borrowed a macbook, downloaded the file, transferred it to an SD card and it worked on the first try. Maybe it's a problem with Windows 10?
Glad it worked out. Win10 self-installed last week despite me turning off the auto-update option. I rolled it back to WIN 7 until I can sell some lenses to buy an iMac.
10-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know this makes no sense, but I figured it out (kind of). Out of desperation, I borrowed a macbook, downloaded the file, transferred it to an SD card and it worked on the first try. Maybe it's a problem with Windows 10?
Nuh. I did my K-1 and K-S2 on Win 10 cleanly.

Anyway, the main thing is you're up and going!

10-16-2016, 12:00 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Here the file is 18.9MB (18,880,016 bytes), if that's any help.

Cheers,
Terry
Concur and worked for me
File on the SD card on Windows 10: F:\fwdc228b.bin

10-16-2016, 02:29 AM   #20

I did mine just last Friday using Win 10 and again no problems. Anyway the main thing is you done it and have the new functions.

Jeff
10-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

fwdc228b.bin Size: 18,438 KBCompressed: 8,570 (I tried both extracting and not extracting the file. None provide luck) ---------- Post added 10-15-16 at 05:47 PM ---------- I know this makes no sense, but I figured it out (kind of). Out of desperation, I borrowed a macbook, downloaded the file, transferred it to an SD card and it worked on the first try. Maybe it's a problem with Windows 10?

Windows 10 is not a problem. File name and sizes are correct. In Windows there is no need to use the extract command. Just double click on the .zip file to open it, right click on the .bin-file and chose copy. Then go to the root directory of the card and paste it. After that you should "eject" the card to make sure that data is written properly.
10-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might try taking the file from win 10 and Mac and file comparing them. Maybe the win 10 system corrupted the file. That's not normal behavior but it is possible.

06-04-2021, 05:13 AM   #23

I know the thread is old , but I had my first go at updating firmware and ran into exactly the same issues. I came across your post after pulling my hair for over an hour , tried your solution , and had problem sorted in 5 minutes .
Definitely a windows 10 issue . Thank you
06-04-2021, 06:34 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nedkelly69 Quote
I know the thread is old , but I had my first go at updating firmware and ran into exactly the same issues. I came across your post after pulling my hair for over an hour , tried your solution , and had problem sorted in 5 minutes .
How strange. I have never had a similar problem. I’ve updated several Pentax cameras using Win10. But I haven’t updated the k-1 nor do I know the exact release your win10 is.
06-04-2021, 07:58 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never had an issue updating my K-1 using win10.
06-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nedkelly69 Quote
If it's a Windows 10 issue, you have something wrong with how you have Windows 10 set up on your computer, which is possible, but as Windows goes out of it's way to not let ham handed users screw things up it would take a fairly serious attempt by a user to not allow a simple file transfer from a hard drive to an SD card happen without something going wrong.
These things invariably happen because of a user error, things like not extracting the file from the zip container, not putting the unzipped file into the root directory of the card, or not putting the card into the correct slot on the camera.

I know Windows is the punching bag flavor of the month for a lot of people, but really? Blaming Windows for not being able to do one of the most basic computer tasks is a bit much to ask anyone to believe.
06-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If it's a Windows 10 issue, you have something wrong with how you have Windows 10 set up on your computer, which is possible, but as Windows goes out of it's way to not let ham handed users screw things up it would take a fairly serious attempt by a user to not allow a simple file transfer from a hard drive to an SD card happen without something going wrong.
These things invariably happen because of a user error, things like not extracting the file from the zip container, not putting the unzipped file into the root directory of the card, or not putting the card into the correct slot on the camera.

I know Windows is the punching bag flavor of the month for a lot of people, but really? Blaming Windows for not being able to do one of the most basic computer tasks is a bit much to ask anyone to believe.
+1

I have updated my K1MKII my K5 and my daughters K50 all using a windows 10 computer without issue.

Have used multiple different SD cards as well

Has to be operator error

For the OP but it’s you and your pc.