Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-1 viewfinder light meter display?

This is my third Pentax and I've always used manual lens with the basic viewfinder light meter. For some reason I can't seem to enable this display even after diving into the manual.
Spot Metering Frame is enabled under Viewfinder Overlay.
And Meter Operating Time is set to Continuous.
Am I missing something or should I contact Pentax. Cause the manual says there should be one be I can't get it to illuminate.

10-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check item 9 "viewfinder light" in the C2 menu.
10-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sadly this did not do the trick; it seems to only effect the AF points
10-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nebulous Quote
Am I missing something or should I contact Pentax.
Are you saying that you cannot see the EV bar display at the bottom of the optical viewfinder (User manual page 17, #13)? It general, it should be visible under the following situations:
  • When EV compensation is applied
  • In M and X mode when an "A" contact lens is mounted
There is also a special case for stop-down metering with lenses lacking the "A" contacts. In M mode with those lenses, optical DOF preview activation will result in the EV bar being activated.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-17-2016 at 03:41 PM.
10-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Also remember to set the custom function #26 to Using Aperture Ring.
10-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you saying that you cannot see the EV bar display at the bottom of the optical viewfinder (User manual page 17, #13)? It general, it should be visible under the following situations:
There is also a special case for stop-down metering with lenses lacking the "A" contacts. In M mode with those lenses, optical DOF preview activation will result in the EV bar being activated.

Steve
Using the optical DOF Preview lever rather than Green Button to meter manual lenses is a good habit to develop if a user wants a Pentax digital camera to offer interactions closer to a manual film camera.
10-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Yes this exactly what I am saying. When in Manual with an m42 (I don't have anything that even has A contacts) the EV meter (#13) does not display.

---------- Post added 10-17-2016 at 05:12 PM ----------

Okey I just threw my DA 18-55 on there and the EV meter displays in M mode. Do you just get nothing if the lens no contacts? cause that is not how my K-200D or K-5 worked

10-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

It's probably a case of the data pin on the mount not being shorted by the narrow mount of the M42 lens.

The K5 behaves differently in these situations than my K10D, indeed there seems that different Pentax bodies behave slightly differently (green button, DOF preview) to lenses with non-conductive (including M42) lens mounts.

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-17-2016 at 05:46 PM.
10-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
So after messing with my two different m42 mounts I can randomly get it to meter with DOF preview but it if you breath on it you get nothing. Too bad you couldnt force metering with DOF preview
10-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's probably a case of the data pin on the mount not being shorted by the narrow mount of the M42 lens.
Most (almost all) M42 lenses have non-conductive bases, so the data pin is almost never shorted even with those lenses having a wider mount face. I don't have a K-1 in hand and should probably not comment further, but I will anyway. The behavior of recent flagship models is support for both green-button and DOF preview metering in M mode regardless of whether the mount face is conductive. The K-1 should follow this pattern.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nebulous Quote
So after messing with my two different m42 mounts I can randomly get it to meter with DOF preview but it if you breath on it you get nothing. Too bad you couldnt force metering with DOF preview
Breathing on it should make no difference. With the DOF preview switch full over, the EV bar should be visible and should reflect the current metered EV. If this is not consistently the case, you may want to contact Ricoh/Pentax support or your dealer. If all you want is metering without the EV bar, use the green button.

Steve
10-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Using the optical DOF Preview lever rather than Green Button to meter manual lenses is a good habit to develop if a user wants a Pentax digital camera to offer interactions closer to a manual film camera.
Might you confirm for the OP that DOF Preview works on the K-1 with M42 lenses? It might also be helpful to detail the exposure compensation behavior for manual aperture lenses using both green button and DOF preview (Av mode behavior is obvious). Thanks!

Steve
10-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I put my 55/f2 M42 lens with the original Pentax adapter on the K-1 and everything works just fine (EV bar visible in booth Av and M mode)