Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

K1 V1.30 shows Out Of Range in low ambient

This morning, me and my K1 went down to the harbour to photograph the sunrise. I arrived well before sunrise – in the dark with harbour lights and a high moon.

With the K1 set to manual, the viewfinder blinked the speed/aperture/ISO settings – “out of range” ? (oor) … and in the live view window, the oor settings blinked red. The internal exposure meter worked as normal and the exposures and pictures were OK too.

I reset the camera to its factory settings, changed the lens – Ptx 100mm ws, Ptx 18-105 zoom, Ptx 300mm F* - cycled the battery – still blinking.

I continued shooting and as the sky began to lighten, the blinking stopped.

Back home, I placed the camera under the bedclothes (hellish dark there!) and the “out of range” blinking returned – even with the the exposure meter reading +5. A slight increase in ambient light and the blinking stopped.

I have tried other settings M P Tav …. same problem.

With the camera out in normal room light the oor blinking is not evident – even when placing my hand over the lens – it seems as if there is some ambient light sensing happening – that is, the K1 senses a dark ambient and sets the oor warning on.

This is my first “dark” shoot using V1.30 firmware – I have not seen this behavior before.

Thanks for any help or comments …

PJ

10-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting!

I've always been a bit ambivalent with how the Pentax metering system handled out-of-range exposure values. It blinks but displays numerical values nonetheless as if they were some wild guess by the metering system and the camera uses those values even if they are horribly wrong.

This new behavior seems more correct in that the camera is explicitly indicating the correct exposure is unknown because it is too dark. Presumably, a similar "oor" would occur in too bright situations.

But I can see how it would be frustrating because now I'll have to remember those "too low" values because that's often what I work off of in dark situations.
10-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjaynz Quote
This morning, me and my K1 went down to the harbour to photograph the sunrise. I arrived well before sunrise – in the dark with harbour lights and a high moon.

With the K1 set to manual, the viewfinder blinked the speed/aperture/ISO settings – “out of range” ? (oor) … and in the live view window, the oor settings blinked red. The internal exposure meter worked as normal and the exposures and pictures were OK too.

I reset the camera to its factory settings, changed the lens – Ptx 100mm ws, Ptx 18-105 zoom, Ptx 300mm F* - cycled the battery – still blinking.

I continued shooting and as the sky began to lighten, the blinking stopped.

Back home, I placed the camera under the bedclothes (hellish dark there!) and the “out of range” blinking returned – even with the the exposure meter reading +5. A slight increase in ambient light and the blinking stopped.

I have tried other settings M P Tav …. same problem.

With the camera out in normal room light the oor blinking is not evident – even when placing my hand over the lens – it seems as if there is some ambient light sensing happening – that is, the K1 senses a dark ambient and sets the oor warning on.

This is my first “dark” shoot using V1.30 firmware – I have not seen this behavior before.

Thanks for any help or comments …

PJ
I was working out of Taupo a few years ago and recall the first time I heard 'Whakatane' on the weather report. Gotta love the pronounciation.

So far as the blinkies go, I've been pretty sceptical about them when reviewing images on the screen as I've seen over exposure indicated but when looking at the RGB histogram it isn't. These days I normally set the image preview to the RGB histograms and use the blinkies as a guide as they will help when I've got the screen brightness adjusted or exposure is off by more than a small amount.

Not sure if any that helps at all, but hopefully someone else will chime in and provide you some better feedback.

Tas
10-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I was working out of Taupo a few years ago and recall the first time I heard 'Whakatane' on the weather report. Gotta love the pronounciation.
AFAIK, it's always been pronounced that way, but prudish English administrators insisted it not be spelt phonetically!