Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even though it's only 1:2 with out the matched diopter, I'm really liking the Phoenix 100/3.5. It's the same lens as the FA 100/3.5...

Like norm, I'm not much of a true macro shooter.

Classic Cosina cream in a yogurt cup...total cost after shipping was $82...

10-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Fyi, the Raynox DCR-250 with D-FA 100mm will give you 2:1 at MFD, and is a very sharp combo. (That means that the image you shoot is about 12mm across at the focal plane.) I've been shooting most of my macros with this combo lately - see my Flickr stream. You can measure the magnification with the 50-200 by taking photos of a ruler.

EDIT: Oops. Appears one's sig isn't included when posting from mobile. Added link above. And here's a sample:

I'm going to buy the 100 mm f da wr lens but i was wondering if i should buy it used or new? would you have any input?
10-20-2016, 09:39 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

If you're considering used, also check out the older dfa100mm non-wr version. It's not weather sealed, doesn't have rounded aperture blades, and has a plastic body (still pretty sturdy though). However, it does have an aperture ring which makes it easier to use on bellows or extension tubes if you end up hankering for even more magnification. If you're keen to see examples, most of my flickr stream is taken with one, but honestly, pretty much any of the dedicated macro lenses these days are excellent and worth it if macro is something you're into.
10-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
If you're considering used, also check out the older dfa100mm non-wr version. It's not weather sealed, doesn't have rounded aperture blades, and has a plastic body (still pretty sturdy though). However, it does have an aperture ring which makes it easier to use on bellows or extension tubes if you end up hankering for even more magnification. If you're keen to see examples, most of my flickr stream is taken with one, but honestly, pretty much any of the dedicated macro lenses these days are excellent and worth it if macro is something you're into.
Wow those are some nice shots ! The lack of an aperture ring on the newer lens is a downside but since ill be using a close up filter it'll work for now.

---------- Post added 10-20-16 at 11:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Even though it's only 1:2 with out the matched diopter, I'm really liking the Phoenix 100/3.5. It's the same lens as the FA 100/3.5...

Like norm, I'm not much of a true macro shooter.

Classic Cosina cream in a yogurt cup...total cost after shipping was $82...
nice sharp shots.

10-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inzova Quote
I'm going to buy the 100 mm f da wr lens but i was wondering if i should buy it used or new? would you have any input?
Only that current pricing new is very far from the lowest its ever been. Up to about July, the D-FA 100mm WR routinely sold for about $US420 at B&H and Adorama, brand new. Now it's much more. I know because I have the non-WR version and have been thinking of getting the WR one to try macro in the rain. As BrianR mentions, however, the optically identical non-WR version has an aperture ring, which can be convenient.

BTW, I'd encourage you to actually check the magnification on the 50-200mm plus DCR-250 combo. I'd think that at 200mm, it's quite possibly more than 2:1. And I'd myself be interested in knowing the numbers for magnification at both extremes (50mm/infinity and 200mm/MFD). Make sure to check MFD and infinity focus at both ends - focus breathing can make using the focus ring counter productive, especially at the long end. (As you focus closer and closer, the lens looses effective focal length, which in turn reduces the effect of the Raynox, and the two may cancel out or even give you less magnification at MFD focus than at infinity focus.)
10-21-2016, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Those low prices for the the DFA100mm earlier this year were nuts. A few people pulled their used ones off the marketplace as a result. I'm not sure of the state of things now, or if we'll see those new prices again.

WR would be nice, but I haven't been shy about using mine in light rains, or snow or swamps and so far so good. The most worrying part is making sure the barrel is dry before changing the focus (it extends sooo much!), but the lens hood helps cover this in inclement weather.

I'm honestly not sure which version I'd get if I had to replace mine today, I do use a bellows occasionally so it's a toss up. If I had the DFA100 WR I suppose I'd also need the DFA50mm macro (which also has an aperture ring). This combo makes the most sense now that I think about it, something for the field and something for the studio.

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
BTW, I'd encourage you to actually check the magnification on the 50-200mm plus DCR-250 combo. I'd think that at 200mm, it's quite possibly more than 2:1. And I'd myself be interested in knowing the numbers for magnification at both extremes (50mm/infinity and 200mm/MFD).
Approximately,

At 200mm/MFD I get 1.96x mag.
At 200mm/infinity I get 1.56x mag
At 50mm/MFD I get 0.56x
At 50mm/infinity I get 0.43x

Working distance (distance from the front of the Raynox to the subject) at the 200mm/MFD setting was not too shabby, about 11cm. The DFA100mm at MFD + DCR250 gives 2x mag, but has a much closer working distance ~5.5cm.
10-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
At 200mm/MFD I get 1.96x mag.
At 200mm/infinity I get 1.56x mag
At 50mm/MFD I get 0.56x
At 50mm/infinity I get 0.43x
That's right, I completely forgot that the 50-200 reversed the focusing direction on macro tubes. That was an interesting one to find out.